Say no to Eli

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
I want an impact player, No Trading down its stupid. Who would you rather have right now Pace and Johnson or a groomed Leftwich, ready to start next season as our new QB. Trading down I don't like at all.

I am almost certain we will trade down. No way we pay top 10 money. Bidwill can not afford it.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
I am almost certain we will trade down. No way we pay top 10 money. Bidwill can not afford it.

It's such a gamble that has never paid off for the Cardinals. This draft is going to be deep. I agree that they'll trade down.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
I don't think that Eli is the answer, or that everyone on this board should get upset if the Cardinals don't get the #1 pick or decide to trade down. If this team is really as defunct as many of you think, then even a QB like payton Manning wouldn't be able to change the team's losing ways. Chances are that Graves will trade down like last year and try to fill some of the holes that this team currently has. I see us having two 1st round picks when everything is said and done, and I'd be happy with players like Will Smith (DE/Ohio State) and Derrick Strait (CB/Oklahoma) being our 1st rounders. Either way, I'm hoping that this board doesn't judge Graves based on an Eli/ No Eli platform. It seems like the draft has become a black/white issue to many of the posters.

P.S. and off topic: My 1000th post was in the Movie section. My 1000th for all of ya's (especially KingofCards) is www.gaypimp.com. Watch their "Soccer Practice" video. Funny stuff, unless you aren't secure in your sexual orientation, and then you might have nightmares about your old wrestling buddy. :D There's no nudity or cussing, but I wouldn't watch it during work;) If you're under 18, ask your parents:thumbup:

I think the building of a long term quality team always starts with a QB. It may not be Manning and he may not even be in this years draft but if you thing he is there and available you take him. No Manning or anyone else can turn this team around in one year but you climb the highest mountain one step at a time Among our many problems is we lose good players faster than we can sign good draft choices. Couple this with poor draft selections and the lack of interest by good free agents and you have a Titanic on your hands.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
It's such a gamble that has never paid off for the Cardinals. This draft is going to be deep. I agree that they'll trade down.

With WHO? The Pats are the only team with two 1st rounders right now, and probably will remain so. Those picks will be something like 28 (NE's) and maybe 20 (BAL's). Is that really worth giving up #1 overall?

This team lacks CATALYSTS on both sides of the ball. We need someone who can galvinize this team and give it an identity for at least the next ten years. That's what a #1 pick is for.

Do you really think that Josh McCown and his one big mistake per possession is the guy that is going to lead this team to the Super Bowl? I don't. I'll take Eli and his pedigree over the "raw talent" of Josh McCown every day of the week. It doesn't seem like there are any #1 overall prospects of the defensive side of the ball in this draft, maybe not even in the Top 5. You can't spend a pick that high on a WR when we already have a couple good prospects in Boldin and B. Johnson. I just don't see it.

If we trade down again, it'll be a disaster.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm

It's not like he hasn't done it a bunch of times. And, it's my personal opinion that they are not crunched for cash because of the stadium. Those deals, what I've read and heard about them, are basically all designed to be repaid our of stadium revenue. The beauty of that for the Bidwills is, they get their stadium, and more revenue, with little money out of pocket.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to admit, the one thing still bothering me about Manning is the LSU game. They only scored seven points that game, and Manning missed several open WRs.

He's the safest pick, but i wonder how dominant he'll really be as a pro.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Manning for now

I think if the draft was today, we should go with Eli Manning. Realistically, its way too early for this type of talk though.

We have some big needs, all of which could be addressed before the draft.

1. We need a QB. Blake is a great back up, but we need a better QB, we have 3 weeks to decide if McCown is that guy, or if we draft one. If we do draft, I think Manning is that guy.

2. WR. We need someone for a QB to throw to besides Boldin. Jones is an excellent TE, and Shipp a quality RB, with Boldin and one more good WR, we have the weapons for the QB to use. We could easily sign a FA WR, or we may need to try to pull another rabbit.

3. CB. We need 1 or 2. If the draft was tomorrow, I'd draft Manning 1 and a CB in rounds 2 and 3. However, some top guys will be availlable and we should have the money to give them if we can convince them to come here.

4. D-Line. We have to create some pass rush from somewhere. We have some guys who are good enough to start in the NFL, now we need some guys who are good enough to be probowlers in the NFL to make those other guys look like they deserve to start here.

What we address in teh draft will totally depend on what we can sign in the off-season.

I do agree, that trading down is a mistake. Unfortunately, i think we beat the Falcons this week and our pick drops a few slots. :(

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
I've got to admit, the one thing still bothering me about Manning is the LSU game. They only scored seven points that game, and Manning missed several open WRs.

He's the safest pick, but i wonder how dominant he'll really be as a pro.

Yep, that's always been my concern, he won't be a bust, no way he will, but will he be a great Qb is certainly debatable.

I felt the same way about Peyton and he's become a great QB, but he's still yet to win a playoff game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Manning for now

Originally posted by TigToad

I do agree, that trading down is a mistake. Unfortunately, i think we beat the Falcons this week and our pick drops a few slots. :(

Seahawks and unlikely we win, they beat us 38-0 at home, 31-0 with Josh in the game. I expect the game to be closer this time but it is on the road and they're in a MUST win situation so they will be gunning for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05