Seachickens get C. Frye from Browns

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the Browns have traded quarterback Charlie Frye to the Seattle Seahwaks to make room on the roster for veteran Ken Dorsey.

The Browns will get a second day draft (6th round) in return for the one-time University of Akron starter.

If they couldn't trade him, the Browns had planned to cut Frye.

Dorsey was cut ten days before the season began. But after Frye’s dismal performance on Sunday against the Steelers, the decision was made to eliminate Frye.

In just over a quarter of play on Sunday against the Steelers, Frye was 4-of-10 for 34 yards and 1 INT. Frye was also sacked five times before giving way to Derek Anderson early in the second quarter.

No word yet from the Browns on who will start Sunday against the Bengals, but the fans on Sunday were chanting for rookie Brady Quinn.

The Seahawks have been in the market for a backup quarterback, which will free them up to use Seneca Wallace in other positions around the field.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, Quinn will see the field a lot sooner than expected...

Im just a bit shocked that they only had to give up a 6th rounder for him. I would've expected the Giants to make a run at him, but Seattles QB situation isn't that bad at all with Hasslebeck and Wallace.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score

Im just a bit shocked that they only had to give up a 6th rounder for him. I would've expected the Giants to make a run at him, but Seattles QB situation isn't that bad at all with Hasslebeck and Wallace.

It is sort of strange given that they locked up Wallace.

Here's a link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7214446?MSNHPHMA

I wonder if Quinn will be starting next weekend.

And to everyone lamenting our latest loss, it could have been worse--we could have looked like the Browns.

OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess they plan on using Wallace at WR.

Its not too often you give up a 6th rounder for a starter. A bad one, at that.. But a starter none the less.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Man I would have given our 6th easy to get him. Has starting experience in the NFL - that's invaluable. He played for very bad Browns teams and was a scapegoat. Not saying he skates from many of his performances, but to do that after only one game in the new season? First games are very unpredictable, but I guess they felt they weren't going forward quickly enough and "Quinn showed enough in pre-season to hand him the reigns. What if he gets hurt though - Dorsey, seriously?!:biglaugh:

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone consider that perhaps the hawks are looking to get some inside information about how the Brown's offense works, since they play them this year?

Okay, okay, I can't even type this with a straight face. :D

JTS

Gambit

Reaction score
Man I would have given our 6th easy to get him. Has starting experience in the NFL - that's invaluable. He played for very bad Browns teams and was a scapegoat. Not saying he skates from many of his performances, but to do that after only one game in the new season? First games are very unpredictable, but I guess the felt they weren't going forward quickly enough and "Quinn showed enough in pre-season to hand him the reigns. What if he get hurt though - Dorsey, seriously!:biglaugh:

They brought in Dorsey because he and Quinn are fast friends and Dorsey will mentor him. Seriously.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess they plan on using Wallace at WR.

Its not too often you give up a 6th rounder for a starter. A bad one, at that.. But a starter none the less.
He isn't a starter. He is a backup at best. There is no other team in the league he could start for. I think a 6th rounder is about right for a backup QB.

edit--maybe Oakland

Gambit

Reaction score
That's OK but to rely on him as B/U, please.:barf:

He's a third stringer. He'll likely never see the field. He probably is one of those guys who has a great mental understanding of the game but who can't translate that to on-field success because the talent isn't there. I'm sure he'll help Quinn adjust to the offense, and that's what he's there for.

Also to be his friend-for-hire on the team.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He's a third stringer. He'll likely never see the field. He probably is one of those guys who has a great mental understanding of the game but who can't translate that to on-field success because the talent isn't there. I'm sure he'll help Quinn adjust to the offense, and that's what he's there for.

Also to be his friend-for-hire on the team.

Who's the B/U QB then?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It wasn't a ringing endorsement when Crennel said he flipped a coin to determine his starter in the pre-season. Quinn will probably start in week 5 or 6 after their brutally tough start to the schedule is over with.

fiddy64

Reaction score
Don't forget Dorsey was Winslow's caddy at the U as well. Boy, have they rekindled that magic, eh?