Seahawks/Cardinals Preview: Offensive Gamepla

chicards11

Registered
Reaction score
i agree that Whiz & co. come up with simpler / more direct playcalling ..... keep it simple and effective. And for gosh sakes....GET MARCEL IN THERE!

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
I personally don't consider Trufant/Jennings 'solid' corners... They are average, at best. We can exploit them.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I personally don't consider Trufant/Jennings 'solid' corners... They are average, at best. We can exploit them.

Most people around here questioned if SF's CBs were better than average and felt our great WRs could exploit them...look how that turned out.

This is going to be, IMO, a tougher test for the offense and the OL in particular. With a rookie starting at C, there could be some serious confusion in blocking schemes.

Alexander

Reaction score

They may not be pro-bowl corners, but they are definitely solid players. Have you ever seen Jennings play? Probably not, since he didn't start any of the Seahawks-Cardinals games last year. But that guy is a solid cover corner. Trufant, admittedly, hasn't lived up to his draft status, but he's always in position to make a play. His knock is that he isn't very good at making the play once he's in position. He's definitely not an average corner though.

Having said that, they can be exploited. Larger receivers, like Boldin and Fitzgerald, give them problems because of the size mismatch. If they're caught in one-on-one coverage deep, Trufant/Jennings could have trouble. But Leinart will need time to throw to them.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
Most people around here questioned if SF's CBs were better than average and felt our great WRs could exploit them...look how that turned out.

This is going to be, IMO, a tougher test for the offense and the OL in particular. With a rookie starting at C, there could be some serious confusion in blocking schemes.
I think you hit the biggest question on the head right there. That is potentially the biggest sticking point for your offense. To his credit though, Sendlein held up pretty well against the 49ers on a moment's notice. I think it will be interesting to see how the Seahawks coaching staff gameplans for that condition.

It's probably a very fortunate thing for Sendlein that this game won't be played in Seattle.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't Seattle lead the NFL in sacks, or was that two years ago?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tried to use the blog response form at the end of Mitch's article, but for some reason, the ASFN site is really really slow tonite.

The Seahawks present a different challenge from the Niners. While the Niners were strong in the secondary and took away our receivers, Seattle is less good in the secondary but much stronger vs. the run and puts more pressure on the passer (5 sacks last week).

Remedy: Use screens and leaker outlets to Pope and our RB/FB off play action in order to slow down the Seahawk pass rush. But for this to be effective, we have to establish the run (or at least the threat of the run - preferably both). This in turn should open things up for Q, Fitz and BJ to get open.

Any DC about to face an inexperienced right side of the O-line (Sendlein, Deuce and Levi have less than 2 years experience among them) is going to lick his chops and bring a lot of false looks, stunts and blitzes to confuse our guys. While I think Russ Grimm will have our guys up to the task, I hope Matt spends time during the week working on his footwork while throwing on the move. He may need it.

SeaChicken

The Other Bird
Reaction score
The kid played for Texas...

I think he knows what it is like to play before a crowd. :cool:
David Greene is the winningest QB in college football history. Didn't do him a whole lot of good at the NFL level, did it?

C'mon bro. If playing for Texas meant he had it all together that well, he would have been drafted. I'm not doggin' the kid. Quite the opposite in fact. But if this game were being played in Seattle with a rookie snapper, methinks there would be quite a few false starts.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Any DC about to face an inexperienced right side of the O-line (Sendlein, Deuce...

Well now I see what the Cards long term plan has been for their offensive line.

Grow 'em yourself. What are the odds that two kids from the Valley would be starting for the Cardinals on the offensive line?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we should bother to show up, having a mostly rookie right side to our offensive line. The Seattle defensive coaching geniuses will, no doubt, be able to exploit that every time we snap the ball.

Better to stay home than witness the beating about to be put on us.

RedLine

Right Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well now I see what the Cards long term plan has been for their offensive line.

Grow 'em yourself. What are the odds that two kids from the Valley would be starting for the Cardinals on the offensive line?

I like what I've been seeing from these 3 young guys. I'm looking forward to watching them get better every game. By the end of the year they'll be kicking azz on anyone who gets in the way.

But, I can see why you might be dissapointed the FO didn't get us some more overpaid old fat slow guys!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure why we should bother to show up, having a mostly rookie right side to our offensive line. The Seattle defensive coaching geniuses will, no doubt, be able to exploit that every time we snap the ball.

Better to stay home than witness the beating about to be put on us.

Two boys did stay home. But I imagine they plan on administering the beating Sunday.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I like what I've been seeing from these 3 young guys. I'm looking forward to watching them get better every game. By the end of the year they'll be kicking azz on anyone who gets in the way.

But, I can see why you might be dissapointed the FO didn't get us some more overpaid old fat slow guys!

Dude, Latui and Sendlein are my boys. I was touting Sendlein before the draft.

If you had been reading the board for more than a day you would know that.

Reaction score
David Greene is the winningest QB in college football history. Didn't do him a whole lot of good at the NFL level, did it?

C'mon bro. If playing for Texas meant he had it all together that well, he would have been drafted. I'm not doggin' the kid. Quite the opposite in fact. But if this game were being played in Seattle with a rookie snapper, methinks there would be quite a few false starts.
Look, I never said that Sendlein "had it all together". I hope that he will be a solid reliable center for the Cardinals in years to come. We'll see...

But to the point, guys that come from big time college programs have been playing in front of crowds of 80, 90, even 100K+ fans. Ever been to Ann Arbor, State College, Lincoln or Austin on game day?

What I am telling you is that crowd noise is nothing new to Sendlein!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it is when he's on offense..................

Texas doesn't exactly make a history of travelling to the loud, raucous environments

and even when they do they're not playing an NFL caliber defense that has put together a professional gameplan to specifically make your life hell

i think the kid handled himself well in SF - but there is a reason why Qwest has the most false starts in the league over the past few years (they track this stat at the stadium) and it isn't just coincidence or having leonard davis come into town each season

they give veteran lineman fits - it's not a far leap to say that it's better to have an undrafted rookie FA making his first start at home than up there

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
... there is a reason why Qwest has the most false starts in the league over the past few years (they track this stat at the stadium) and it isn't just coincidence or having leonard davis come into town each season...

MO:

Yeah, but is it as loud as the old Kingdome? I remember when the refs used to throw flags on the 'Hawks fans there. Lousy place to see a concert, but it was deafening during a game.
:thewave:

WC

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

Better to stay home than witness the beating about to be put on us.[/QUOTE]

Anathema!
1st tailgate of the year!
We're there at 9 AM.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i wish I would of been able to see a game there - but honestly I have no frame of reference, therefore I'm out of my element

I loved those old dome crowds though and in my head they will always be the loudest - part of the reason I became a hawks fan was watching that crowd go wild back in the mid 80s in a game they were stomping the raiders - instant attraction and i've been there ever since

i have fond memories of watching elway stomp around like a little girl complaining to the refs that he couldn't hear

would of been an experience

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
...part of the reason I became a hawks fan was watching that (Kingdome) crowd go wild back in the mid 80s in a game they were stomping the raiders - instant attraction and i've been there ever since

i have fond memories of watching elway stomp around like a little girl complaining to the refs that he couldn't hear...

MO:

Y'know, that's why I have an hard time taking some of the current NFC West intra-division smack talking seriously. In my mind, the Seahawks' most-bitter rivalries are in the AFC with the Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers, not with the Cardinals. And the Cards' traditional opponents are the Eagles, Redskins, Giants and--of course--the hated Cowboys. With the exception of the Rams and '49ers, who've been at each others' throats since the '50s, the teams of the realigned NFC West have no real history. And the verbal abuse from their fans often feels more forced than heartfelt.

So I hope the Hawks give the Cards a good game on Sunday. And lose a heartbreaker, in the best Seahawks tradition. ;)

WC

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05