Seahawks release DE Grant Wistrom

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Maybe he will get that goofy hair-do of his fixed now

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seahawks didn't get what they were hoping for when they signed him. I'd say they would consider him a bust FA signing.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SEAHAWKS SLICE WISTROM

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Seattle Seahawks have cut defensive end Grant Wistrom, only days after signing defensive end Patrick Kerney.

The move means that Kerney and Bryce Fisher will enter the season as the starting defensive ends.

Wistrom received three years ago a grossly puffed up deal to join the Seahawks, which included $14 million in guaranteed money. The move will be processed as a June 2 cut, so that the cap acceleration will be spread over two years.

Per Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, Wistrom will continue to count $5.833 million against the cap. After June 1, his cap figure for 2007 year will drop to $2.33 million, In 2008, Wistrom will account for $4.67 million in dead money.

Explains Balzer: "Wistrom's contract is another example of why quoting total dollars in free-agent contracts is often misleading because many players never receive the total value of the original deal. Of the $33 million in Wistrom's contract, he was paid a total of $21 million."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is one of the reasons the FO is signing the contracts the way that they are ...

BigOX

Reaction score
I'll gladly take him here for depth and rotation if the price is right

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Technically, he's one those June cuts that Graves relies on. So maybe we do bring him in.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
"...free-agent contracts is often misleading because many players never receive the total value of the original deal. Of the $33 million in Wistrom's contract, he was paid a total of $21 million."

Am I missing something here? How can only receiving $21 million instead of $33 have even the slightest, negative connotation to it?

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I like the guy from a depth addition standpoint. He's always going to play hard, and may not be in a position to hope for huge money. He got his big pay day already, and with our issue of trying to keep DE healthy, he wouldn't be a bad pick up if we can work the money.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
there is some talk that he is shot - that he couldn't pass a physical if needed - then again this could just be the press painting roses after a cut to the fans for a popular (although overpaid player)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? How can only receiving $21 million instead of $33 have even the slightest, negative connotation to it?
How about I promise you $33 over 5 days, but instead, I tell you to beat it before the 5 days is up and only pay you $21.

You lost out on $12. Almost 33% of our original deal.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
From PFT.

WISTROM DONE?

The talk in league circles in the immediate wake of the release of defensive end Grant Wistrom by the Seahawks is that Wistrom is done.

Physically, the belief is that he's shot. In fact, there are concerns that he would not be able to pass a physical. There also are concerns regarding whether Wistrom even has the desire to play.

With that said, Wistrom started in all 18 regular-season and playoff games last season.

Wistrom, a nine-year veteran, had 11.5 sacks in three seasons with the Seahawks. And he received $14 million in guaranteed money.

Hey, in some cities, that's worth another $12 million up front.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
there is some talk that he is shot - that he couldn't pass a physical if needed - then again this could just be the press painting roses after a cut to the fans for a popular (although overpaid player)

Nice upgrade for the Hawks.... Wistrom --> Kearney.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like the guy from a depth addition standpoint. He's always going to play hard, and may not be in a position to hope for huge money. He got his big pay day already, and with our issue of trying to keep DE healthy, he wouldn't be a bad pick up if we can work the money.

Not to mention he'd love to face the Hags twice a year.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Explains Balzer: "Wistrom's contract is another example of why quoting total dollars in free-agent contracts is often misleading because many players never receive the total value of the original deal. Of the $33 million in Wistrom's contract, he was paid a total of $21 million."

Perfect example of making a mistake in signing a F/A for outrageous money and see what happens when you have dead money working against you.

Does this mean not to sign F/A..no. But better be very careful and not rationalize things that really can't be reationalized about ability and attitude. Let's all see the payback on "Mr. Potential" Leonard Davis at the price they paid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is one of the reasons the FO is signing the contracts the way that they are ...[/quote]