Sean Salisbury

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
IIRC Green was never offered the Atlanta job?

I had the same reaction when Robert Smith said he wanted to come out of retirement and play for Green but didn't because he didn't trust the Cards to build a good OL. Who was at fault there, the bidwills, or Green? The reality is both guys were afraid they'd be part of a losing team and that it would harm their reputations. I don't like Green at all but at least he sacked up and took the risk, just as he did with Northwestern and Stanford, tough places to win at.

What I understood him to say was that if Green had taken a job at a place like Atlanta with solid ownership, he would have taken a coaching job working for Denny in a second. This was all brought up in the context of Pete Carroll leaving USC and coming to the NFL. Salisbury said his advice to Carroll would be to take a hard look at the ownership of the teams he may be going to and make sure they are dedicated and capable of being successful. Pretty sound advice for anyone considering a career change.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of course ownership here sucks and of course it's not an easy job, but if you really believe in Green you take that chance. he didn't, because he didn't believe in Green or in himself.[/quote]

great great post!!! you should hear him apine to what a great coach mike ditka is (was)....i would bet no owner in his right mind would hire him for half the going rate...if ever a guy made it on his one year it was him..that team he had should have won 2/3 more...salisbury said he would be at the head of the line to be a qb coach for ditka...what BS.....you hit it right on the head..if he and is buddy DG were so tight, way not come in and "teach" curt warner how to be a quarterback or stay on his feet when he has five revolving doors in front of him!!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Well if he's such a big Green fan why didn't he take the QB coach job?

Salisbury is a hack, he sucked as a QB, he sucked in Benchwarmers(what a stupid movie) and he doesn't even have the guts to leave ESPN and take a real NFL job but now he blasts us for firing the guy he said no to?
Exactly, Russ. Salisbury went with the sure thing and stayed at ESPN because he liked the job security.

Nothing wrong with that, but he is being dishonest about it now IMO.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Green failed in AZ, alot of it was his ego. But I do give the guy credit he did have the stones to come in here and chance destroying his legacy(as he did) to build a winner.

To bad he didnt get that Oline figured out a year ago, he would of won alot more games IMO.

I never wanted the guy in the first place, his henchmen I think he'd be better off without, that and less ego, better field general and he'd be solid.

Right now if I had a choice between him as a GM and Graves, I'd have sent Graves packing.

The sad thing in all of this is we finally fired the one man who fixed our O line, not just talked about it, and sure he blew it up to get here causing us 2 years of hell but in the end he did the job there where no one else even came close.

In fact why in the heck didn't Michael Bidwill flip flop it and send Graves down the highway and kick DG upstairs?

Maybe DG wouldn't do the job but can anyone believe we are better off with Graves and no coach than with Green and no coach?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well if he's such a big Green fan why didn't he take the QB coach job?

Salisbury is a hack, he sucked as a QB, he sucked in Benchwarmers(what a stupid movie) and he doesn't even have the guts to leave ESPN and take a real NFL job but now he blasts us for firing the guy he said no to?

He said on the raido that he would have taken a spot on Greens staff had he taken the Atlanta job but he didn't feel ownership and management with the Cardinals cared enough about winning and he felt staying at ESPN was more secure.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He said on the raido that he would have taken a spot on Greens staff had he taken the Atlanta job but he didn't feel ownership and management with the Cardinals cared enough about winning and he felt staying at ESPN was more secure.

It's hard to argue with that.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I understood him to say was that if Green had taken a job at a place like Atlanta with solid ownership, he would have taken a coaching job working for Denny in a second. This was all brought up in the context of Pete Carroll leaving USC and coming to the NFL. Salisbury said his advice to Carroll would be to take a hard look at the ownership of the teams he may be going to and make sure they are dedicated and capable of being successful. Pretty sound advice for anyone considering a career change.

I also understood him to say exactly that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, did he just trash the Cardinal organization on ESPN radio...

\I caught this too, he said hed lose his job in 3 years because of ownership if he came with denny. Funny part is, we retained the good assisstance and only dropped lame ass green so he wouldnt have been fired like he said.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well that's what he said but reality is that at least for now Mike Kruczek is not only still on the staff, he got promoted to OC.

So if Salisbury is as good as he seems to think he was, and he'd taken the job, he would have been OC the last half of this year.

OP
OP
T

TucsonCardfan

Reaction score
If he had said the same things 3 years ago, I might not have been as offended by his comments. When he was offered the job originally, he said he thought long and hard about it and finally decided that it would be better to stay where he was. He went on and on about DG and the opportunity. Never once in the last 3 years have I heard him say anything negative and now that his buddy is out it's all about the ownership.

I don't care if you want to bash the ownership, but at least try to be consistent.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salisbury is a tool. He also said had he taken the job with Green that Green would still have his job.

Heres my problem. It's the same old bashing of the Bidwills. Five or ten years ago I would fully agree. Not today. They went out and signed Green and basically gave him the keys to the car. Graves went out and did everything Green asked him to do, even when he didn't agree with everything Green wanted.
Green buried himself. Don't blame the Bidwills. Don't blame Graves. The only thing I blame them for is giving Green EVERYTHING he asked for. Bottom line, Green was the one who hired and fired coaches every 8 weeks. Green was the one who released Kendall who now happens to be good enough for the playoff bound Jets. Green was the one who benched McCown, started King, benshed King, started Navarre only to bench Navarre to go bck to McCown. Green was the one who mismanaged the clock SOOOOOOOO many times I can't remember. Green is the one who fired Rowen, the so called " guy I wanted al along". And finally Green is the guy who took a team that had the best passing offense in the league last year and tried to will us into a "running team" because we had Edge.
Salisbury aslo mentioned that the Bidwills always meddle with any head coach they hire. How so Sean? How did they interfere with Green?
This team is in better shape now despite their record than they were 3 years ago. Partly because of Green and just as much because of how the front office has changed. It hasn't translated into wins yet and to a man Green will shoulder the blame for that as well he should.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you guys defending cardinals ownership? That's a pretty tough task.
No. Based on consistently bad outcomes, they have to be held accountable.

That said, I'm sick of hearing vague generalities and innuendo from windbags like Salisbury about how bad the Bidwills are.

Give us some concrete examples of bad management in comparison to the standard practices of other NFL teams.

In other words, "you got something to say, then say it!"

How can we hold ownership accountable for poor policies when we don't know what those policies are?

PS It will never happen, but I'd love for RG or MB to publically rip Salisbury for today's comments.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Salisbury is a tool. He also said had he taken the job with Green that Green would still have his job.

Heres my problem. It's the same old bashing of the Bidwills. Five or ten years ago I would fully agree. Not today. They went out and signed Green and basically gave him the keys to the car. Graves went out and did everything Green asked him to do, even when he didn't agree with everything Green wanted.
Green buried himself. Don't blame the Bidwills. Don't blame Graves. The only thing I blame them for is giving Green EVERYTHING he asked for. Bottom line, Green was the one who hired and fired coaches every 8 weeks. Green was the one who released Kendall who now happens to be good enough for the playoff bound Jets. Green was the one who benched McCown, started King, benshed King, started Navarre only to bench Navarre to go bck to McCown. Green was the one who mismanaged the clock SOOOOOOOO many times I can't remember. Green is the one who fired Rowen, the so called " guy I wanted al along". And finally Green is the guy who took a team that had the best passing offense in the league last year and tried to will us into a "running team" because we had Edge.
Salisbury aslo mentioned that the Bidwills always meddle with any head coach they hire. How so Sean? How did they interfere with Green?
This team is in better shape now despite their record than they were 3 years ago. Partly because of Green and just as much because of how the front office has changed. It hasn't translated into wins yet and to a man Green will shoulder the blame for that as well he should.

What a great post. Props.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno if this has been posted anywhere yet:

Salisbury said today on Chicago radio that if Denny had been hired in Atlanta, SS would have coached Mike Vick. When asked if Mike Vick would still have been a coach killer, SS said:

No, if I had been his coach, he would be having his best season ever.

I turned it off at that point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno if this has been posted anywhere yet:

Salisbury said today on Chicago radio that if Denny had been hired in Atlanta, SS would have coached Mike Vick. When asked if Mike Vick would still have been a coach killer, SS said:

No, if I had been his coach, he would be having his best season ever.

I turned it off at that point.

That's why he stayed at ESPN, he can say stuff like that and never have to back it up.

I must say I'm amazed I got this many posts in on Salisbury without anybody pointing out he went to USC. I must be getting better at being subtle.

:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If defending Cards ownership means that I think that the firing of DG was a good thing, then Yes I am.

I'd rather have fired the Cards ownership and kept Green.

After the horrible mess the Cardinals front office created from 1999 to 2003 he had an almost impossible job.

However that the team kept making the same mistakes 3 years after Green took over was good cause to send Denny packing.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Salisbury sucks. He a blowhard know it all. I would love to see John Clayton (a.k.a. Mr Mackey) just kick him in the nuts and shove his foot in his ass.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05