Search called off for missing boat/players

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats odd.. Just as you posted this, Channel 12 news just reported the Coast Gaurd is stepping up the search with planes and what not now that its dark..

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
I mean if you want to stay optimistic, you can say they had engine failure and because of the bad whether they were taken way off course by the current and what not because they did say the boat they are on is basically impossible to sink.

But I just think the coast guard would have found them by now. It's not looking good, but I will continue to be optimistic, but also have to be realistic.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I mean if you want to stay optimistic, you can say they had engine failure and because of the bad whether they were taken way off course by the current and what not because they did say the boat they are on is basically impossible to sink.

But I just think the coast guard would have found them by now. It's not looking good, but I will continue to be optimistic, but also have to be realistic.

The Coast Guard and the boat manufacturer both said that there was a possibility that that particular boat couldn't withstand the power of the storm in Florida right now. Not good news.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They kind of did call it off for a while. They pulled in 2 smaller boats but are going back out with a heavier duty ship that can handle the high surf better. That's what they just explained on ch 12.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Coast Guard and the boat manufacturer both said that there was a possibility that that particular boat couldn't withstand the power of the storm in Florida right now. Not good news.

The odds are against them, but survival at sea does happen sometimes.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Channel 12 just said "the Coast Gaurd has vowed to search all night for the missing boaters".. That doesnt sound like they are calling off the search to me..

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Is this an obvious weather situation or could there be something more dubious? Rich guys attacked while out at sea type of thing?

At some point it was talked about how the search party was using computer models to track the probable areas where the currents might have taken the.

I wasn't encouraged to hear that the rescue boat that was searching for them had to postpone it's search because of the weather. If the rescue boat can't handle the weather then the recreational boat would be in trouble.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
they found the boat and Schuyler was hanging onto it. No word on the other 3.

Reaction score
http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/03/family-member-c.html

The Coast Guard confirmed to the AP it has located the a boat with a "person on the vessel." Petty officer Sondra-Kay Kneen could originally not say if the boat was the one carrying NFL players Corey Smith and Marquis Cooper
The Coast Guard has been searching for a boat carrying four men, including Smith and Cooper, since Sunday morning.
Update, 12:57 p.m. ET: The St. Petersburg Times reports that the person found clinging to the boat is Nick Schuyler. Ray Sanchez, the Cooper's cousin, tells that to the paper. WTSP said it has confirmed from the Schuyler family that Nick Schuyler was the person located.
Update, 1:10 p.m. ET: Nick Schuyler is conscious and talking, his father, Stu, tells the St. Petersburg Times. The paper and WTSP report Schuyler is headed to Tampa General Hospital.
Update, 1:14 p.m. ET: WTSP reports that Schuyler told the Coast Guard the other three men on the boat had their life vests on when he last saw them.
I haven't seen it posted here: One of the missing men Marquis Cooper is the son of Channel 12 (Phoenix) sports reporter, Bruce Cooper.

God be with the Cooper family, and of course the other involved families also.

Hazzard29

Registered
Reaction score
Breaking news on channel 12... Cooper has been found alive, but is listed as being in serious condition. No official confirmation from Coast Guard as of yet.

Hazzard29

Registered
Reaction score
On CNN they said it was a false broadcast report. They didn't say who broadcast it.

Interesting... the news anchor on channel 12 even went as far as to describe the look in Cooper's eyes as he arrived at the hospital. Minutes later during the same breaking news report, they came on and said that the Coast Guard had yet to confirm the identity of the man found in the water.

I really hope channel 12 didnt screw this up.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Can't you get sued for making up a BS story, especially a story that has so many emotions? 12 news better be careful, especially from their own family (Bruce Cooper).