Search called off for missing boat/players

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting... the news anchor on channel 12 even went as far as to describe the look in Cooper's eyes as he arrived at the hospital. Minutes later during the same breaking news report, they came on and said that the Coast Guard had yet to confirm the identity of the man found in the water.

I really hope channel 12 didnt screw this up.

Hopefully they are just being careful. Bruce is a stand up guy. I hope for his sake, it is his son.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Are they talking about finding Cooper, or the other person they already found? Basically, have they found 2 or 1? All reports are saying 1, but now I am just confused.

Hazzard29

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the anchor could have made a mistake and said the wrong name... I really hope thats all it was. I cant imagine there was any malicious intent on the tv stations part. Also, the anchor that reported it wasnt a local reporter, she was reporting out of Tampa.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Don't take this to seriously because it really isn't much but on another forum, someone said on the Chris Meyer's Fox Sports radio show they may have found a 2nd person but gave no details.

Very minor details but it could be something.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a bit late on that breaking news...removed.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
bump.....please update as you hear information on this tragedy

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
If there is no news on finding them by the end of the night, this is going to turn into just looking for the bodies. To be able to survive 2 days in the ocean in unheard of. With the weather and no water and currents, I don't expect good results out of this.

At least before, there was a chance of engine trouble or holding onto the boat like the person they found did. But to just be sitting in the ocean with a life jacket on for over 36 hours isn't good news at all.

I'll say a prayer, stay optimistic, but it really doesn't look good right now.

Hazzard29

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers going out to the missing and the families involved... I hope I wake up to some good news in the morning.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
If there is no news on finding them by the end of the night, this is going to turn into just looking for the bodies. To be able to survive 2 days in the ocean in unheard of. With the weather and no water and currents, I don't expect good results out of this.

At least before, there was a chance of engine trouble or holding onto the boat like the person they found did. But to just be sitting in the ocean with a life jacket on for over 36 hours isn't good news at all.

way to be negative.

i just said a prayer

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ESPN just reported...They will call off search at 6:30 pm eastern time.:sad:

makes my stomach turn.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
R.I.P.

Probably the toughest way to lose someone, since there is no closure for the families since the bodies won't be there. Would be absolutely horrible if the players were still fighting for their lives and alive and they canceled the search. The ocean is just to big and the bodies are to small to find them.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
still 2 hours. don't say RIP. there is still a chance. they were wearing their lifejackets, and are still in NFL shape, lots of muscle mass to keep them warm.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
still 2 hours. don't say RIP. there is still a chance. they were wearing their lifejackets, and are still in NFL shape, lots of muscle mass to keep them warm.

Mark Curtis, who is in Tampa right now, said last night when he arrived it was 42 degrees outside. If it is 42 degrees outside on land, it would probably be around 35 in the middle of the ocean. The temperature in the ocean is probably around freezing temperatures.

You can stay as positive and optimistic as you'd like, but also be realistic. The coast guards are really just trying to find the bodies right now. Since they are wearing life jackets, they would still be floating. It sucks, but it's true. No football player, no swimmer, not anyone can stay in waters that cold for over 50 hours. It just isn't humanly possible.

I am not trying to be a dick or negative or anything. I am very involved in this search and have looked into articles and information more than most people. I am just being realistic.

EDIT: Close said searchers found a cooler and a life jacket 16 miles southeast of the boat.

Last edited:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the boat was about 40 miles out to sea.

Looking at the picture on CNN, that sounds nuts for a boat that size

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
my philosophy is rather be hopeful and wrong than the first to be right. thats all I'm saying. it just doesn't seem fair to jump the gun before it is official.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If it is 42 degrees outside on land, it would probably be around 35 in the middle of the ocean. The temperature in the ocean is probably around freezing temperatures.
This is the Gulf of Mexico, not Cape Cod. The current Gulf temperature at St. Petersburg is 67.8F. The further out you get, the warmer the temperatures.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even with the life jackets, they will only stay afloat for so long. They become heavy, waterlogged, and end up weighing the person down after a while.

This is terrible news, i pray for them and their families. All we can hope for now is for their bodies to turn up. Even if they stayed afloat, being out in the ocean for 3+ days without food or water is very tough to survive from.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We therefore commit their bodies to the deep, to be turned into corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body,when the sea shall give up her dead, and the life of the world to come, through our Lord Jesus Christ; who at his coming shall change our vile body, that it may be like his glorious body, according to the mighty working whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself.

Rest in Peace.

OP
OP
T

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
I just read an article where the lone survivor told his friend that the first night, a helicopter shined its lights above the men and the boat and that they could see the lights in the distance.

So very tragic.

I also read that the Cooper family is going to start there own little search. I am very anxious for this Schuyler guy to heal up and tell the story of what happened, what he saw, and last words of what some of the others said.

With him being a survivor out of this, he can give plenty of details on what happened and what not.

spyboots

Rookie
Reaction score
Yep, they were unable to be seen. Look too small from the air and blend in with the waves and whitecaps.

Others, who have been rescued in the past, on land or at sea, have said planes have flown over but just didn't see them.

Even if they found warmer water, they also have no fresh water. So sad.

Prayers and thoughts.

Last edited:

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score

R.I.P.

Probably the toughest way to lose someone, since there is no closure for the families since the bodies won't be there. Would be absolutely horrible if the players were still fighting for their lives and alive and they canceled the search. The ocean is just to big and the bodies are to small to find them.

man, quit being so negative.