Search for a Big

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
There isn't anyone right now that is worth trading for except Gadzuric, and we all know that we would have to give up too much for him. We only need a backup big that can play 10-15 mins a game, so I really don't think we should be giving up a lot. After all, there is no sense in overpaying for a guy thats only going to get 10mins a game in a system that doesn't require a big man to be successful.

Once Barbosa comes back, it makes our bench significantly deeper which allows Diaw to backup KT much of the time. We only need to hit the panic button if Kurt gets injured. That's why I am in favor of just waiting to see what happens. The season is still early every team feels they have a chance (except ATL & TOR). When teams begin to realize that they are out of it, they will begin to look at next year and start to retool their rosters.

I have an idea that I am sure will generate a lot of discussion so just hear me out:

Shawn Kemp

We all know he has been trying to get on with a team since the beginning of summer. I am sure that he's probably too old, but I would like to at least see us bring him in for a workout. Who knows, it could be interesting.

Just thinking outside of the box here since none of the other names really interest me. I know I am gonna get bashed for this one, but I say what the hell it can't hurt.

On a side note, I was able to talk to Suns Assistant Phil Weber last night. He just said that Amare is a freak of nature and progressing along ahead of schedule. He said the organization is ecstatic with Diaw (but that they expected him to do well). I didn't ask him about any possible trades or about Jimmy. This is all stuff we already know, but he seemed really confident about Amare coming back soon and at full strength.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
There isn't anyone right now that is worth trading for except Gadzuric, and we all know that we would have to give up too much for him. We only need a backup big that can play 10-15 mins a game, so I really don't think we should be giving up a lot. After all, there is no sense in overpaying for a guy thats only going to get 10mins a game in a system that doesn't require a big man to be successful.

Once Barbosa comes back, it makes our bench significantly deeper which allows Diaw to backup KT much of the time. We only need to hit the panic button if Kurt gets injured. That's why I am in favor of just waiting to see what happens. The season is still early every team feels they have a chance (except ATL & TOR). When teams begin to realize that they are out of it, they will begin to look at next year and start to retool their rosters.

I have an idea that I am sure will generate a lot of discussion so just hear me out:

Shawn Kemp

We all know he has been trying to get on with a team since the beginning of summer. I am sure that he's probably too old, but I would like to at least see us bring him in for a workout. Who knows, it could be interesting.

Just thinking outside of the box here since none of the other names really interest me. I know I am gonna get bashed for this one, but I say what the hell it can't hurt.

On a side note, I was able to talk to Suns Assistant Phil Weber last night. He just said that Amare is a freak of nature and progressing along ahead of schedule. He said the organization is ecstatic with Diaw (but that they expected him to do well). I didn't ask him about any possible trades or about Jimmy. This is all stuff we already know, but he seemed really confident about Amare coming back soon and at full strength.

I've been hyping up Kemp for awhile now. Like i said in a previous post, the guy is in amazing shape. (Very close to his size at 25)

:bhiich:

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I've been hyping up Kemp for awhile now. Like i said in a previous post, the guy is in amazing shape. (Very close to his size at 25)

if we give him a partially guarenteed contract i dont think it could hurt. he seems like he has something to prove to everyone and with that type of motivation id rather play with him than against him.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Okay, don't blow me away if I'm way off base.

However, on or after December 15th, isn't there some kind of provision that that players signed by other teams in the off-season can be traded. I'm not sure of the NBA provision.

Yeah, you'll start seeing trade activity start then until the deadline.

As for a big, my vote if for Ely. The Suns don't need another starting-type PF. Players like Bosh, Wilcox, etc won't be on the Suns list.
A) they're likely going to make too much and b) why would they already have Amare when he comes back. They need a solid athletic backup PF/starting C.

This is why Ely fits the bill perfectly. Could be had for cheap(if the Cats would even trade him), can play PF now(backup when Amare returns) or could play center along side Amare. That would also mean finding a way to unload KT. They could just use Ely as backup, but i think he's ready to start full time.

They could use the trade ex. or a combination of the TE and 1st rd pick(Suns pick).

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WastedFate said:

It doesn't matter what kind of shape he's in, he needs to prove he can still play.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
In all seriousness the Suns need another big man but that is almost universally true throughout the league and there just is not much out there.

We (and the Suns) will have to be patient and see if any teams are willing to dump players closer to the trade deadline. Right now it is just too early in the season for teams to give up on any remotely promising big man.

Not to mention most of the center prospects are stiffs that can't run or score outside 5ft and wouldn't earn many minutes in the Suns system anyway.

Sorry if anyone was offended by us making light of their suggestions but if you are going to bring up Bosh why not bring up Dwight Howard while you are at it?

Frankly I find all this relentless rehashing of the same names over and over more than a little amusing considering it is only the first week of December.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shawn Kemp:

Old, drug-damaged, distraction. You might as well wish for the Jolly Green Giant to play for the Suns. Its more likely.

I like the Ely and Gadzuric options, if there was any way we could swing it. With KT playing better now, there is no point in including him in any trade. 16 and 16 is fantastic for a Suns center in any era.

No point in getting in a hurry. Nash, Bell, Boris, Marion, KT, JJones, House, Jim Jackson. That's our 8 man rotation there. When Barbosa comes back its 9. Then when Amare comes back in late Feb, we'll be at 10. Grant will make 11. Since MD only plays a 9 man rotation on any kind of regular schedule, Jim Jackson will likely ride pine permanently by the end of Feb.

If we could pick up Ely or Gadz cheap fine. I'd be interested in bringing Lampe back for another look or even Zarko. Maybe we could send Jim Jackson to the Hornets for Lampe--oh wait. Otherwise sit tight and wait for the Cavalry.

We'll draft a big guy next summer.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it time for another thread on BASE YEAR CONTRACTS? Gadzuric is not a possibility.

Ely is a possibility, but the Bobcats are asking for a first which is too much.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Is it time for another thread on BASE YEAR CONTRACTS? Gadzuric is not a possibility.

That's not quite true. Hcsilla worked out a complicated trade before, and there are a variety of three-team scenarios. I agree that it would be quite difficult and is very unlikely to happen, but to say that it's "not a possibility" because of Gadzuric's BYC status is an overstatement.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Actually it isn't that complicated.

JJ, Thompson, Burke (plus a 1st rounder) for Gadzuric, Welsch works under the cap.

Or with House instead of Burke.

Or with Gaines instead of Welsch.

mikowhy

from Poland
Reaction score
Spurs' Nazr Mohammed could be a good fit, it seems he is impossible to acquire.

Maybe David Lee? NYK are looking for SF and JJax can play this position.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I just meant, "too complicated for me to remember, and I don't feel like looking it up." ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Spurs' Nazr Mohammed could be a good fit, it seems he is impossible to acquire.

Timing is everything with Mohammed. He burns it up in his first three months or so with a new team, then sucks until the next time he changes uniforms.

fordronken

Reaction score
One guy I think could be a good fit is Varejao from Cleveland. I also think they could really use Jim Jackson over there. However, the contract differences and the players that would have to be involved to make the salaries work aren't worth it. It would pretty much mean involving Luke Jackson or Pavlovich, who I'm sure the Cavaliers wouldn't be willing to use as throw-ins, and they aren't players the Suns would need enough to be willing to use a first rounder.

The other possibility would be waiting until after the deadline on the 15th and trading Jim Jackson and a second rounder for Varejao, Zendon Hamilton and Mike Wilkes.

sunsfn

Reaction score
fordronken said:
One guy I think could be a good fit is Varejao from Cleveland. I also think they could really use Jim Jackson over there. However, the contract differences and the players that would have to be involved to make the salaries work aren't worth it. It would pretty much mean involving Luke Jackson or Pavlovich, who I'm sure the Cavaliers wouldn't be willing to use as throw-ins, and they aren't players the Suns would need enough to be willing to use a first rounder.

The other possibility would be waiting until after the deadline on the 15th and trading Jim Jackson and a second rounder for Varejao, Zendon Hamilton and Mike Wilkes.

In regards to Varejao, the Cavs are very high on him. They have talked about trading Drew Gooden but can not do that until Varejao returns. I do not think they will trade Varejao. But if he returns in the next couple weeks (he is working out now) I look for them to trade Gooden before the deadline.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hcsilla said:

JJ, Thompson, Burke (plus a 1st rounder) for Gadzuric, Welsch works under the cap.

Or with House instead of Burke.

Or with Gaines instead of Welsch.

Are you sure?

Hoopshype has Gadz at $4.75 million

Jackson is at $2.64
Burke $.75
Thompson .375

That's $3.765 million AND the Bucks only get credit for 1/2 of salary for cap purposes. Here is the verdict from RealGM

Failed Scenario
There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to Phoenix and Milwaukee being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and Milwaukee had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did not happen here (only Phoenix met the condition). This trade does not satisfy the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't understand why guys trying to create some interest don't sign onto one of the minor leagues. The NBA teams certainly scout them and there is a fair number of guys who have become pretty good such as Bell that did some minor league time.

IMHO, Kemp needs to go out and destroy some minor league opponents before I'm going to assume he's done more than lost weight.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There really aren't any big men available that would come cheap. Asking prices for big men are always going to be high since they are a commodity. Michael Doleac is available but I don't know if it is improvement over Grant. I like either Battie or Cato in the fact that they would be used as strictly backups and would provide size for rebounding and shot blocking especially Cato. The only problem is that both are making too much money for us and we have nothing to trade them to even up salaries. Both aren't doing much in Orlando but I feel they would do better here playing with Nash who makes his teammates better.

fordronken

Reaction score
Just did a quick run through of all the team's player salaries. The only big guys that seemed reasonably attainable with maybe a second round pick(although depending on the teams, they may ask for more) were the following:

Pat Garrity- One year left under contract. Could probably be gotten for a second rounder around the trade deadline if the Magic are falling apart.

Brian Scallopini - (Sounds of me vomiting)

Matt Bonner - Don't know if they'd give him up, but he's big, unassuming and can shoot.

Aaron Williams - Doubt they'd give him up, or that D'Antoni would play him, but hey, why not give it a shot?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Suns just sat on the trade exception at the deadline unless somebody really surprising becomes available.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Aaron Williams - Doubt they'd give him up, or that D'Antoni would play him, but hey, why not give it a shot?

I have said for a while I think Aaron Williams would be a good fit on the Suns.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
So, I was thinking to myself "Who are some big guys out there who could be traded for without giving up too much or who are just available." As I thought about it, this list of names magically came to my head of people wouldn't start for us, but could come in and fulfill the role of 3rd string tall guy. It seems they must all have something in common, but I can't put my finger on what it is:

Jake Voskuhl,
Jahidi White,
Marciej Lampe,
Jackson Vroman,
Stephen Hunter,
Bo Outlaw,
Zarco Cabarkapa,
Tom Gugliotta,
Dan Langhi,
Robert Archibald,
Walter McCarty, and
Cezary Trybanski
:D

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Pat Garrity- One year left under contract. Could probably be gotten for a second rounder around the trade deadline if the Magic are falling apart.

Brian Scallopini - (Sounds of me vomiting)

Matt Bonner - Don't know if they'd give him up, but he's big, unassuming and can shoot.

Scalabrine is overpaid, Garrity is fragile, Bonner is not available, IMO but
Williams is a realistic option.

I always liked his toughness, hustle and solid jumpshot. Since he gets zero PT in Toronto he may be easily available.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jake Voskuhl,
Jahidi White,
Marciej Lampe,
Jackson Vroman,
Stephen Hunter,
Bo Outlaw,
Zarco Cabarkapa,
Tom Gugliotta,
Dan Langhi,
Robert Archibald,
Walter McCarty, and
Cezary Trybanski

Holy crud, Gugliotta is available? Let's bring him in, he used to be really good.

nowagimp

Reaction score
What do we need another big man for? For scoring? No, we dont need a big to score, we do plenty of that. We need a big for defense, as we cannot play a team like the pistons with just KT and Diaw. Their big guys will wear KT out and out muscle Diaw. Without Grant(or someone else) in that game we cant compete against those bigs. Many of the bigs mentioned in this thread simply cant defend in the post(like Zarko who can be pushed around by many SF's) and rebound.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake