Reaction score
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/241986_hawk23.html

===============================================================

Friday, September 23, 2005

Hawks face tale of tape up top
Coach calling on Trufant to step up defensive efforts

By DANNY O'NEIL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- The differences will stand out as soon as the players reach the scrimmage line.

On one side, Arizona's two starting wide receivers: Larry Fitzgerald is 6 feet 3, Anquan Boldin is 6-1 and they weigh 220 pounds apiece.

On the other, Seattle's cornerbacks: Marcus Trufant is 5-11, Andre Dyson is 5-10 and neither weighs 200. They're not going to grow between now and Sunday, so how they are going to measure up at Qwest Field?

"We've just got to be able to climb up and play big at the end of the play," Trufant said.

Big. It describes more than just the Cardinals' pair of receivers. It's also the size of coach Mike Holmgren's expectations for Trufant, a first-round pick in 2003.

"I set the bar very high for him," Holmgren said. "Anytime he falls short of that, fair or not fair, I will talk to him about it."

That's what brought Trufant into the coach's office in the week after the Seahawks' season-opening loss in Jacksonville.

"He just said basically that he expects a lot out of me and he wants me to play like it," said Trufant, the 11th overall pick in the 2003 draft out of Washington State.
A two-year starter, he had what Holmgren characterized as a great rookie year. Last season, he intercepted five passes, but he also played with a damaged right shoulder that required surgery in the offseason.

Last year I thought was a tough year for him because of the injury," Holmgren said on Sept. 7. "I think he's ready to bust out again this year."
Five days after Holmgren said that, the Seahawks played in Jacksonville and Trufant's performance prompted a call to the coach's office.

"I expected more from him and I told him that," Holmgren said.

Jaguars wide receiver Jimmy Smith caught a pass over Trufant in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown. Trufant's positioning was perfect, and he was directly in front of Smith, but Smith still made the catch.

The Cardinals would jump at that kind of opportunity on Sunday or least they would love to let Fitzgerald leap.

"You can put it up high and he can normally outbattle a defensive back for it," coach Denny Green said. "You can put it up high for him."

That's a change for Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner. As the triggerman for the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf," he was throwing to receivers who got open because of their speed and quickness. Now, he's throwing to a pair of guys whose advantage is size and strength.

"They're long and they're strong to the ball," Warner said on Wednesday. "You can put it in traffic, and they're going to come up with it."

Fitzgerald has caught 17 passes in two games, most in the NFL. Of his eight touchdown catches as a rookie last season, three were against the Seahawks. Boldin missed the first game against Seattle because of a knee injury, but in the second meeting he caught seven passes for 107 yards and a touchdown.

But it's not like the Seahawks will always be playing over their heads on Sunday.

"They can't throw a jump ball every play," Dyson said. "They can't just go out there and throw it as high as they can because it's all about timing."

Hawknight

Reaction score
If the Seahawks get to Warner as most think they will, Fitzgerald & Boldin may hardly ever see the ball come their way. IMHO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawknight said:
If the Seahawks get to Warner as most think they will, Fitzgerald & Boldin may hardly ever see the ball come their way. IMHO.

6 sacks in 2 games is good but when you play against Vick and Leftwich that shouldn't be a surprise since they were sacked ~ 80 times between them last year.

Fisher concerns me I liked him a lot in FA I actually preferred him to Okeafor because I thought he'd be a comparable player for less money, and Ross has been terrible so Fisher could be a problem. Our DL is better than Seattles but our OL has not played well yet.

That said I think we'll find a way to get a few passes off Sunday.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hawknight said:

Your team has many strengths but pass rush is def. not one of them.....

Hawknight

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Your team has many strengths but pass rush is def. not one of them.....

Don't need a great pass rush if your OL is not holding well in the first place.

Hawknight

Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
our line holds real well

Well, not so far this year...we shall see this Sunday. If the OL did hold up real well, you guys wouldn't be 0-2, and I'm not saying that to attack the Cards, just stating a fact.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawknight said:
Don't need a great pass rush if your OL is not holding well in the first place.

we had like 10 holding penalties last game, we hold fine.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

its called sarcasm, does 10 holding penalties = a positive?

DKCards

Reaction score
It was a joke. You know a play on words. We hold well, we got 10 holding penalties. Damn Hawks fans got to explain them everything.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Hello...

Hawknight said:
And the game before that? What was the excuse then?

IS ANYBODY HOME? Earth to Hawknight...PHONE HOME Young man... Phone Home!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Fitzgerald and Boldin scare me.. they are one of the best tandems in all the NFL.. and easily the best in the division IMO..

But until you guys get a QB, HB, and OL... those two guys won't have the impact that they could potentially have.

Which in the future scares me (especially if you add a Matt Leinart in the draft)... not this season however.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
6 sacks in 2 games is good but when you play against Vick and Leftwich that shouldn't be a surprise since they were sacked ~ 80 times between them last year.

Fisher concerns me I liked him a lot in FA I actually preferred him to Okeafor because I thought he'd be a comparable player for less money, and Ross has been terrible so Fisher could be a problem. Our DL is better than Seattles but our OL has not played well yet.

That said I think we'll find a way to get a few passes off Sunday.

My local JC team can get to Warner with our line. This is a concern for me.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i too found it funny and understood the wordplay instantaneously

as for my exact location - at work - on a saturday - wondering if I can get the window open, and if so is it possible to tack a noose anywhere on the building

ugh

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawknight said:
Well, not so far this year...we shall see this Sunday. If the OL did hold up real well, you guys wouldn't be 0-2, and I'm not saying that to attack the Cards, just stating a fact.

That was black humor

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AlexanderFan37 said:
But until you guys get a QB, HB, and OL... those two guys won't have the impact that they could potentially have.

Which in the future scares me (especially if you add a Matt Leinart in the draft)... not this season however.

We have a good QB and some pretty decent RB's it's the oline is a problem. And to suggest we will have the #1 pick is downright insulting.

Sure we ar ehaving problems, but as you will see sunday ,we are afairly close to being real good, just need an interior oline

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They are just talking smack because they know they are going to get beaten up tomorrow. Yeah we are 0-2, big deal you are 1-1, after tomorrow we will both be 1-2. If I am wrong I will come back and take my punishment, not like the clown nighthawk who was so ashamed that he didn't get a simple joke even after having it explained to him twice. He ran himself out of the message board, LOL!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05