Send good DirectTv thoughts ...

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DirecTv came last week to set up my Total Choice package and NFL ticket, but my apartment complex didn't leave them the correct wire to set it up. So I had to reschedule for Sept. 11 ... which is AFTER week 1. After a few days of being sad, I called DirecTv yesterday to see if they have had any cancellations. The woman said no, but then said a new date had just popped up! Sept. 7. So they are coming tomorrow. Now let's all hope they can set it up correctly this time ... and that the Cardinals don't lay an egg on Sunday and I won't regret watching.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alan said:
DirecTv came last week to set up my Total Choice package and NFL ticket, but my apartment complex didn't leave them the correct wire to set it up. So I had to reschedule for Sept. 11 ... which is AFTER week 1. After a few days of being sad, I called DirecTv yesterday to see if they have had any cancellations. The woman said no, but then said a new date had just popped up! Sept. 7. So they are coming tomorrow. Now let's all hope they can set it up correctly this time ... and that the Cardinals don't lay an egg on Sunday and I won't regret watching.

They have the nfl package at Hooters now. I wish they had that when I didnt have DirectTV.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I finally bought my HD TV yesterday after getting my free HD TIVO last month from Directv. I'm hoping that I can get it set up by gametime on Thursday.

It sucks that I have to work and can't get what is important done. Like setting up my new TV.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
I finally bought my HD TV yesterday after getting my free HD TIVO last month from Directv. I'm hoping that I can get it set up by gametime on Thursday.

It sucks that I have to work and can't get what is important done. Like setting up my new TV.

How did you get a free HD DVR? I was told it would cost me $399. I have HD DirecTv. I need the DVR.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardShark said:
How did you get a free HD DVR? I was told it would cost me $399. I have HD DirecTv. I need the DVR.

Tell them you will leave if they dont give you one. It has worked for several other people on this board. There was a thread about it too.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, for week one, the Cardinal game will reportedly not be in HD (there are six HD units and seven games on Fox). If you have an antenna or the MPEG-4 box, 10-1 will be broadcasting the SD widescreen version, but the Cardinals HD premier will be on 9/17.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CardShark said:

Call their retention line and ask about the free HD TIVO for Sunday ticket subscribers. Its really for those threatening to leave, but I felt bad about lying to them. So when I asked them about it they said it was only for those leaving, I said, "Do I need to threaten to leave?", so the lady gave me the deal.

Here's their retention line. This is well above the first line of people you call. Basically, they have the authority to make decisions.
800-824-9081

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
Call their retention line and ask about the free HD TIVO for Sunday ticket subscribers. Its really for those threatening to leave, but I felt bad about lying to them. So when I asked them about it they said it was only for those leaving, I said, "Do I need to threaten to leave?", so the lady gave me the deal.

Here's their retention line. This is well above the first line of people you call. Basically, they have the authority to make decisions.
800-824-9081

Yeppers, I was also able to get a free HDTV TIVO from DTV about a month ago for saying I was going to cancel NFL ticket and probably leave DTV. I got the free upgrade. However, it also took me 3 phone call attempts but it got her done!

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
You better hurry on the HR10-250 because they are being phased out with the HR20-250 (or 700) being swapped in large market areas.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am waiting to see (a) if I get the free Red Zone (or Super Fan - whatever they call it) package as promised (Based on encouragement from ASFN regulars, I requested it and got it) and (b) whether or not they try to charge me on my next bill.

Generally, though, I find the DirecTV folks very accomodating - so long as they feel you're a solid citizen not simply trying to milk the system.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I am waiting to see (a) if I get the free Red Zone (or Super Fan - whatever they call it) package as promised (Based on encouragement from ASFN regulars, I requested it and got it) and (b) whether or not they try to charge me on my next bill.

Generally, though, I find the DirecTV folks very accomodating - so long as they feel you're a solid citizen not simply trying to milk the system.

They charged me for that on my bill, but I called them right up and told them that the lady I spoke to was giving it to me for free. Within 5 minutes my bill was fixed.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Alan said:

I receive emails from Direct TV updating me on when the new receiver/recorder/tivo or what ever they use will be for sale. I think they are dropping tivo and using their own service. Friday's email said it will be released for sale in early fall. Perhaps by the end of this month. You can only lease it is my understanding. $399 and you have to return it when you cancell your service. Supposed to be a good upgrade over their current best equipment.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Twist18 said:
You better hurry on the HR10-250 because they are being phased out with the HR20-250 (or 700) being swapped in large market areas.

There is a problem with the HR10. That's the older unit that does not have MPEG-4 capability. Eventually, all of the HD local channels will be MPEG-4, and you won't be able to receive them with the HR10.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
There is a problem with the HR10. That's the older unit that does not have MPEG-4 capability. Eventually, all of the HD local channels will be MPEG-4, and you won't be able to receive them with the HR10.

Yes, but you get in on the free one and you will be able to upgrade anywhere from free to $99 when it becomes available.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can someone who has had both Cox cable and Directv tell me is there really a difference in product? I have cable and it seems that none of the shows I want to watch are ever broadcast in digital quality let alone HD.

OP
OP
Alan

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DirecTv was hooked up this morning! To celebrate, I went out and bought a 42" plasma TV.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is true they are phasing out the current HDTV TIVO. However, when they upgraded me, they agreed to upgrade my receiver when it is phased out to the new model. However, they told me it would not be TIVO and would be a DTV model.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
clif said:
Can someone who has had both Cox cable and Directv tell me is there really a difference in product? I have cable and it seems that none of the shows I want to watch are ever broadcast in digital quality let alone HD.

I'm not sure what difference you are meaning, but with Directv, unless you are in big market, you will probably have to get an antenna for over the air HD. That will actually look better than what you get on DTV because it is not compressed.

However, DTV is flying up two more satellites to greatly increase their HD offerings and I believe all the locals HD all over the country.

Plus you have the Sunday Ticket deal.

Trust me, DTV will be the HD leader within a year.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
I'm not sure what difference you are meaning, but with Directv, unless you are in big market, you will probably have to get an antenna for over the air HD. That will actually look better than what you get on DTV because it is not compressed.

However, DTV is flying up two more satellites to greatly increase their HD offerings and I believe all the locals HD all over the country.

Plus you have the Sunday Ticket deal.

Trust me, DTV will be the HD leader within a year.

DirecTV will not be the HD leader within a year. The 2 new birds don't go up until early 2007. After that they will have months of testing. They will add channels slowly just like everyone else. Contracts take a lot of time.

Satellite HD quality looks great. I switched to Dish 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with my service, especially Dish's DVR makes Cox's look like a little kiddy machine. My neighbor has DirecTV and his HD look just as good as mine on ESPN anyway. I didn't watch any of the other HD channels he had.

As long as you have a good install, DirecTV and Dish have great visual service. If you want HD channels get Dish. If you want the NFL package get DirecTV. Pretty simple.

I got Dish because all I need to do is watch the Cardinals and they are on every week :)

Go Cards!

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DirecTV will not be the HD leader within a year. The 2 new birds don't go up until early 2007. After that they will have months of testing. They will add channels slowly just like everyone else. Contracts take a lot of time.

Give or take a few months. Just a technicality.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
On the home theater forums I go to, the concensus seems to be that Dish has more and better HD offerings than DirecTV. But DirecTV has better sports. Except for NFL Network HD, which is only on Dish.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Speaking of direct Tv/NFL Ticket/Superfan.....i tried my GameTracker program from last year and it doesnt appear to work any more. I also dont see anything about it on the DTV site. Has anyone got it to work yet this season?

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Slacker said:
If you want HD channels get Dish.

How many HD channels do you get? I'm on Dish, and I only get a handful of channels - ESPN, Discovery, TNT, and a few others... it pisses me off, since I'm paying extra for a HD receiver.