Shawne Merriman

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would you guys trade Rolle for Merriman? San Diego needs a safety and doesn't Rolle hit a huge escalator next year. Are willing to pay him? How far has Rashad Johnson come? Could we live with him at FS the rest of the way? Hmmmmm.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Would you guys trade Rolle for Merriman? San Diego needs a safety and doesn't Rolle hit a huge escalator next year. Are willing to pay him? How far has Rashad Johnson come? Could we live with him at FS the rest of the way? Hmmmmm.

Rolle is our best option at this point, and that's not saying much. R. Johnson has made little to no impact and makes himself invisible on the field. I believe he's been replaced in nickel and dime packages by Matt Ware. It would not be wise for us to trade away Rolle this season.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Who or what would we have to give up to make it worth while for the Chargers?

He is a free agent after this year -- so he is a "rent a player" -- compensation would have to reflect that

my concern is this: after being busted for steroids, his game has gone downhill.

Clearly there was also a knee injury in there -- but one has to wonder.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
He is a free agent after this year -- so he is a "rent a player" -- compensation would have to reflect that

my concern is this: after being busted for steroids, his game has gone downhill.

Clearly there was also a knee injury in there -- but one has to wonder.

Not really. As Joe pointed out, unless a new labor agreement is reached very quickly, he'll be a RFA next offseason so whoever has him this year will also have him at a relatively cheap price next year. I'm sure he'll want a new deal but no team will be obligated to give him one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we're talking LB's and I don't feel like starting a new thread, I saw somewhere that the Chief's Derrick Johnson may also be "avaliable." He's certainly not a Merriman or maybe even a starter but if he's brought in he upgrades the depth at linebacker and maybe with a year in the system he could play ILB if we don't find a replacement for Dansby next off season. Surely the asking price wouldn't be much higher than a mid-rounder. Thoughts?

I loved Derrick in the draft that year but he's not a 3-4 LB. Even bulked up he's only listed at 242, and he's not an inside guy he's an OLB and in the 3-4 the OLB has to be bigger than that to hold up. He's a very good OLB in a 4-3 but the reason KC is looking to move him is they're in a 3-4 now and he's not even starting because they had to move him inside and that's not his strength.

On Merriman, my concern is steroid guys tend to get hurt a lot and tend to break down earlier in their careers. Even if he's not doing it anymore, I worry that his body might be "old" for a 25 year old because he did it before?

If he's likely to get healthy great pickup, just not sure he is or will be healthy.
I also don't see SD getting Anquan Boldin, they are similar to us in that they really lack speed at WR, Boldin is still good but he's very similar to the WR's they already have.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Has he gone down hill?

The end of 2006 when he came back from suspsension he was great. In 2007 he was great. He has only had suspect stats in 08 and this year which is attributed to his knee injury not lack of roids.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Forget Merriman lets make em' an offer for McNeil that offensive tackle that they probably won't be able to keep next year due to having to lock up their top WR.

I'd even give our next years #1 for McNeil today.They got lucky on that pick and its a crapshoot in the draft for an OLT.McNeil could play for 10 years as a CARDINAL.Smith is messing up that team again.

Heck Dansby needs to step up and play like the old Auburn Tiger he once was and since its his money year he better step up BIGTIME!!!

Reaction score
Straight up Boldin for Merriman!

Trading an area of strength and depth (WR) for an area of weakness and lack of depth (OLB). Yeah, that's a deal I would do!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Straight up Boldin for Merriman!

Trading an area of strength and depth (WR) for an area of weakness and lack of depth (OLB). Yeah, that's a deal I would do!

Me too. There is no way Merriman is at 100% right now, but I would make this trade in a heartbeat expecting he will be by next season. I think some people fail to realize that Breaston is a FA after this season. I'm signing Breaston to an extension before the end of the season because he's our only speed threat and has proved to be a replacement when Q is injured.

With Graves being our GM there's no way he is thinking outside the box, about Merriman or Breastons future in AZ. :bang:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Me too. There is no way Merriman is at 100% right now, but I would make this trade in a heartbeat expecting he will be by next season. I think some people fail to realize that Breaston is a FA after this season. I'm signing Breaston to an extension before the end of the season because he's our only speed threat and has proved to be a replacement when Q is injured.

With Graves being our GM there's no way he is thinking outside the box, about Merriman or Breastons future in AZ. :bang:

Breaston will be a RFA this offseason, so there isnt a rush really.

But I would still sign him long term right now instead of later, like we did with Dockett the year before he became a RFA.

Reaction score
Me too. There is no way Merriman is at 100% right now, but I would make this trade in a heartbeat expecting he will be by next season.I think some people fail to realize that Breaston is a FA after this season. I'm signing Breaston to an extension before the end of the season because he's our only speed threat and has proved to be a replacement when Q is injured.

Good point about Breaston's contract status! How do the Cardinals give decent money to both Boldin and Breaston in the same offseason? I can't see that happening. Re-signing Boldin at the expense of Breaston would be a mistake.

I have the same doubts about Graves ability to think proactively...

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Has he gone down hill?

The end of 2006 when he came back from suspsension he was great. In 2007 he was great. He has only had suspect stats in 08 and this year which is attributed to his knee injury not lack of roids.

Joe-- you are right

while his "rate" of sacks per game has gone down since suspension, it only went down to "really, really good" vs "best of all time" prior

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I say do what it takes to make it work. We put him on Cardinal Steriods (aka John Lott) and let him go to town. I honestly feel like we are a pass rusher away (and maybe a third corner) from being an elite defense.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude is at practice for 15 minutes with the Bills. You guessed it hurt again.

Glass > Merriman

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say do what it takes to make it work. We put him on Cardinal Steriods (aka John Lott) and let him go to town. I honestly feel like we are a pass rusher away (and maybe a third corner) from being an elite defense.
Still waiting for Doucet and Mr. Bean to get passed the Lott pills.