Shogun (FX | Hulu)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is the rub right here. They can't really expand beyond the source material (or historical material), because there's not much story after Tokugawa wins--his victory is complete after Sekigahara. Kind of like complaints when the show Rome ended fell on deaf ears with me. It basically ended with the Pax Romana, so unless the show was going to become I, Claudius, it had reached a natural ending.
I imagine they could conjecture about how everyone's lives moved on after that point, but the point they just passed was the most exciting point in all of their lives. Just as you say, how would they captivate us further?

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just finished this last night. Took us a week to get through the series and we were bitching about having to go to bed after every episode because we just wanted to keep going all night!

Seriously one of the best things out there in the last few years.

As far as the ending:

I'm with DMC that he was just dreaming about a possible future back in England with the grandkids because of two things: dropping the crucifix, and Toranaga saying that his fate was never to leave Japan. If we learned anything in the series it is that when Lord Toranaga says something, you can pretty much book it that that is what's going to happen.

Anyone else think at the end when they finished pulling out the ship for the day and Anjin looked up at Toranaga and kind of grinned that he finally realized he had been manipulated the whole time?

I don't think they need a second series, but with the success this has had, it's probably inevitable.

Man, why can't we have more shows like this?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We just finished this last night. Took us a week to get through the series and we were bitching about having to go to bed after every episode because we just wanted to keep going all night!

Seriously one of the best things out there in the last few years.

As far as the ending:

I'm with DMC that he was just dreaming about a possible future back in England with the grandkids because of two things: dropping the crucifix, and Toranaga saying that his fate was never to leave Japan. If we learned anything in the series it is that when Lord Toranaga says something, you can pretty much book it that that is what's going to happen.

Anyone else think at the end when they finished pulling out the ship for the day and Anjin looked up at Toranaga and kind of grinned that he finally realized he had been manipulated the whole time?

I don't think they need a second series, but with the success this has had, it's probably inevitable.

Man, why can't we have more shows like this?
I like your vision on what you noticed.

From what I remember in the book, Anjin-san continues on serving the Shogun, oblivious of his manipulations. The book it seemed more of an experiment. Toranaga wanted to see if a heathen could be made into a refined Japanese.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sanada, who also starred in Yoji Yamada ’s 2002 “Twilight Samurai,” alluded to those who went before him in his acceptance speech.

“I thank all those who supported and kept the legacy of jidaigeki alive,” he said in his speech in Japanese, clutching his trophy.

“The passion and dreams we inherited traveled across the seas and crossed borders.”

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DiscussingFilm
@DiscussingFilm

Future of ‘SHOGUN’ after getting a record-breaking 18 Emmy wins:
• Seasons 2 & 3 greenlit
• Hiroyuki Sanada set to return
• Filming for S2 eyed to begin in 2025
• Co-creators Rachel Kondo & Justin Marks are writing S2See the full winners list: http://bit.ly/EmmyWins24

As much as I love this story, I'm concerned for many of the reasons brought up earlier in the thread. In particular the fact that there is no existing source material that directly relates to the Shogun characters of which to draw inspiration from.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As much as I love this story, I'm concerned for many of the reasons brought up earlier in the thread. In particular the fact that there is no existing source material that directly relates to the Shogun characters of which to draw inspiration from.
The problem is that they've already summarized the story, so they're going to backtrack on it? Meh. Don't get me wrong--I'd love me some Sekigahara--but I think this was a brilliant one off show. Unfortunately, money talks.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
I still wish they were doing it more like Fargo with each season being self contained. They could adapt his other books to give us different stories/era of feudal Japan.

I really hope that they don't go the prequel route at any point to bring back Mariko. That never turns out well and will be a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky