Should Seattle have won last week?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
After gaining 23 yards on their first three possessions (high powered, sure) the New Orleans debacle commences...

New Orleans commits 11 penalties for 114 yards and coughs up four turnovers.

Seattle goes 3-12 on third down, gets outgained 359 to 270 and held the ball almost ten minutes less than the Saints.

Three drives for Seattle started inside New Orleans' 40 yard line.

Did Seattle win or did New Orleans lose? And is this High Powered Offense getting a little over hyped?

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
After gaining 23 yards on their first three possessions (high powered, sure) the New Orleans debacle commences...

New Orleans commits 11 penalties for 114 yards and coughs up four turnovers.

Seattle goes 3-12 on third down, gets outgained 359 to 270 and held the ball almost ten minutes less than the Saints.

Three drives for Seattle started inside New Orleans' 40 yard line.

Did Seattle win or did New Orleans lose? And is this High Powered Offense getting a little over hyped?

Damn. That sound familiar. Turn-overs losing the game...where have I seen that before...

Seahawker

Reaction score
I posted this in the prediction thread below...take it for what you will.
----------

Here's a better link for you guys to review our performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/drive...ameId=230907026

Look at the 1st and 2nd quarters specifically.

The Saints did a whole lot of nothing, while the Seahawks erupted in the 2nd Quarter.

All those yards, T.O.P., first downs, etc. came in the 2nd half when the Saints were down by 21.

Yes we were outgained, but if you look more in detail to those numbers you could see that the Seahawk defense put the Saints offense in lockdown for the whole half. The only Saints scoring drive came after a penalty and really short punt by Tom Rouen. And when you start at the 43 with John Carney as your kicker...you don't have to go to far to get points.

Saints Drive Summaries
Start Time Time Poss. Drive Began # of Plays Yards Result
1st drive - Start at the NO 31 - 6 plays, 5 yards, Punt
2nd drive - Start at the SEA 43 - 9 plays, 27 yards, Made FG
3rd drive - Start at the NO 31, 3 plays, - 10 yards, Punt
4th drive - Start at the NO 14, 6 plays - 52 yards, Punt
This was when Horn got a big pass play off of Trufant, the only mistake by the rookie that half
5th drive - Start at the NO 30, 1 play - 5 yards, Fumble
6th drive - Start at the NO 20, 6 plays - 12 yards, Punt
7th drive - Start at the NO 39, 2 plays - 9 yards, End of half.

Seahawks First Half Drive Summaries
1st drive - Start at the SEA 13, 3 plays, -2 yards, Punt
2nd drive - Start at the SEA 23, 3 plays, 8 yards, Punt
3rd drive - Start at the SEA 35, 5 plays, 20 yards, Punt
4th drive - Start at the SEA 11, 8 plays, 89 yards, Rushing TD
5th drive - Start at the NO 37, 2 plays, 37 yards, Passing TD
6th drive - Start at the SEA 23, 9 plays, 77 yards, Passing TD

You see...when you look at it more, the Saints were dominated in the first half, and it turns out we had the game wrapped up afterwards. First Saints possession of the second half was a pick off of a zone blitz by Chike Okeafor. That led to a field goal and after that with a 24-3 lead we went into prevent mode.

Numbers don't tell the whole story here.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I don't think Seattle is as good as week one indicates, and I don't think the Cardinals are as bad as week one indicates.

Should be a good matchup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - they created turnovers - capitalized on them and with all those yards for the Saints kept them out of the endzone. Your defense only gives up 10 points and for most of the game you hold a 21 point lead - yes - that win is all theirs.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Yes - they created turnovers - capitalized on them and with all those yards for the Saints kept them out of the endzone. Your defense only gives up 10 points and for most of the game you hold a 21 point lead - yes - that win is all theirs.

Dammit Cheese, I spent about 39 seconds on this thread. Work with me here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Dammit Cheese, I spent about 39 seconds on this thread. Work with me here.

should have made it 40 - so pissed - wish I was gonna be at the game on Sunday - have fun you bastards and give the Hags hell! I gotta get off this message board.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
it definitely was a tale of two halfs ... the offense started out super slow

holmgren was joking about that this week (always easier to do if you recover to win ... must start faster)

but they did have those 2 long scoring drives in the second where they looked really good

I also think the defense did a good job in the second half ... it's tough when you are playing to not give up a big play and have the opposing team eat clock

it keeps you out on the field a little longer and when facing a big offensive line, a tough, versatile RB, 2 high powered WRs and a very solid TE it would be easy to wear down

the hawks only gave up 7 points in the second half, despite spending most of it on defense ... which isn't shabby either all told

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seahawker
I posted this in the prediction thread below...take it for what you will.

... And here's my response from the same thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Seahawker
Here's a better link for you guys to review our performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/drive...ameId=230907026

Look at the 1st and 2nd quarters specifically. The Saints did a whole lot of nothing, while the Seahawks erupted in the 2nd Quarter. All those yards, T.O.P., first downs, etc. came in the 2nd half when the Saints were down by 21.

Yes we were outgained, but if you look more in detail to those numbers you could see that the Seahawk defense put the Saints offense in lockdown for the whole half. The only Saints scoring drive came after a penalty and really short punt by Tom Rouen. And when you start at the 43 with John Carney as your kicker...you don't have to go to far to get points...

Numbers don't tell the whole story here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seahawker:

ESPN's GameTrack is my resource, too. Really invaluable.

O.K., I looked again at the first two quarters. What I saw was two teams that each had three punts and a score in their first four possessions. Then I saw the Saints, trailing 7-3 with the ball, fumble at their own 37. One cheap TD later, it's a 14-3 game. Then, after holding the Saints to 12 yards and one first down, Seattle makes their 2nd-and-last drive of 40+ yards, and goes up 21-3 at the half.

That's it. Seattle had 78 total yards of offense in the second half. Got held to field goals after recovering fumbles on the NO 38- and 30-yard lines. Stopped another Saints drive with an INT.

I didn't say that the Seahawks played a bad game, or anything like it. My point was that regarding the Hawks as some sort of offensive juggernaut, in the wake of a 119-yard passing performance by Hasselbeck, and a game in which they converted 1/4th of their third downs, may be a little premature.

As a Cardinals fan, I'm not afraid of the Seahawks this Sunday. And I think the Cards can win that game, if they don't give it away. Again.

WC

Sturm

Reaction score
Seahawk Fan Here...

We really do have a great offense but you wouldn't know it because that idiot Holmgren likes to go into "conservative mode" once we're up by 14 points...even if it's in the 2nd quarter.

Unfortunately, he doesn't understand the concept of "finishing off your opponent."