Should the Suns consider bringing back Mike D'Antoni?

cly2tw

Reaction score
No, because you don't want the continue the DA mentality in the Suns culture. If anything, hire Jerry Sloan if he could still coach.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I know you guys do not like D'Antoni but quite frankly Hornacek is horrible. He seems to hold no one accountable for their poor play and it seems as though one of his main goals is to turn TJ Warrren into a 3 point shooter when he strength is and has been around the rim. At least mike never tried to turn Amare into a 3 point shooter.

MDA basketball was always fun to watch whether it be in PHX, New York or LA. It did not matter who the point guard was, it was fun to watch. This crap is unwatchable.

Does anyone really think this team can win more than 30 games at this point?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you guys do not like D'Antoni but quite frankly Hornacek is horrible. He seems to hold no one accountable for their poor play and it seems as though one of his main goals is to turn TJ Warrren into a 3 point shooter when he strength is and has been around the rim. At least mike never tried to turn Amare into a 3 point shooter.

MDA basketball was always fun to watch whether it be in PHX, New York or LA. It did not matter who the point guard was, it was fun to watch. This crap is unwatchable.

I watched a lot of the Lakers during DA's two year run there. there was nothing fun to watch about that drek. I'm guessing NYers would think the same thing.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I watched a lot of the Lakers during DA's two year run there. there was nothing fun to watch about that drek. I'm guessing NYers would think the same thing.

Mike took a beat up and dysfunctional Laker team to the playoffs in spite of themselves the 1st year in LA. I doubt Kobe, Howard or Gasol have or ever will vacation with each other. Last year no one would have won 25 games with the roster the Lakers had, even Laker management agreed with that. The Laker's fans disliked him because Magic Johnson disliked him while blaming him for Kobe's injury along with everything else that was wrong with the Lakers. They forgot that Kobe had the best shooting year of his career while Mike was coach.

In his 1st couple of years in New York the Knicks got rid of everyone off of their roster to clear cap room for the summer of 2010. He somehow kept them entertaining with basically no talent. When they got Amare as a free agent they were the talk of the league with a bunch of rookies in supporting roles, during Amare's 1st year in New York. Then injury stuck Amare again and soon after Dolan traded everyone other than the injured Amare for Melo. The Knicks have basically been a disaster since.

But who care about the facts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike took a beat up and dysfunctional Laker team to the playoffs in spite of themselves the 1st year in LA. I doubt Kobe, Howard or Gasol have or ever will vacation with each other. Last year no one would have won 25 games with the roster the Lakers had, even Laker management agreed with that. The Laker's fans disliked him because Magic Johnson disliked him while blaming him for Kobe's injury along with everything else that was wrong with the Lakers. They forgot that Kobe had the best shooting year of his career while Mike was coach.

the facts are you said the Lakers and Knicks were fun to watch with DA. The Lakers weren't even CLOSE to fun to watch and were the biggest bust of all time with a team that EVERYONE pegged to go to the Finals in his first year and it was because Mike had ZERO control of the team and was trying to run an offense that everyone hated and didn't fit the personnel. THOSE are facts. Remember, YOU were the one who said his teams were fun to watch in LA. There are literally ZERO facts and ZERO fans who back that claim up.

In his 1st couple of years in New York the Knicks got rid of everyone off of their roster to clear cap room for the summer of 2010. He somehow kept them entertaining with basically no talent. When they got Amare as a free agent they were the talk of the league with a bunch of rookies in supporting roles, during Amare's 1st year in New York. Then injury stuck Amare again and soon after Dolan traded everyone other than the injured Amare for Melo. The Knicks have basically been a disaster since.

But who care about the facts.

actually, the knicks were completely mediocre with Mike his entire run there, in a weak Eastern Conference, and in his last year, after he completely lost the team and QUIT on the team, the team completely rallied with him gone and ended up going on a torrid stretch to end the season once DA was adios and ended up with the #2 seed and won a first round playoff series for the first time in forever.

THOSE are facts.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Maybe not, but come on, Mike D'Antoni is the LAST thing this team needs. Hell, just his track record with young players not named Amare should turn you off before anything else.

The sky is falling and you come back with Mike D'Antoni? Seriously?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the facts are you said the Lakers and Knicks were fun to watch with DA. The Lakers weren't even CLOSE to fun to watch and were the biggest bust of all time with a team that EVERYONE pegged to go to the Finals in his first year and it was because Mike had ZERO control of the team and was trying to run an offense that everyone hated and didn't fit the personnel. THOSE are facts. Remember, YOU were the one who said his teams were fun to watch in LA. There are literally ZERO facts and ZERO fans who back that claim up.

actually, the knicks were completely mediocre with Mike his entire run there, in a weak Eastern Conference, and in his last year, after he completely lost the team and QUIT on the team, the team completely rallied with him gone and ended up going on a torrid stretch to end the season once DA was adios and ended up with the #2 seed and won a first round playoff series for the first time in forever.

THOSE are facts.

Thank you for posting this response because I was going to respond to that pile of B.S. about either of those teams being entertaining.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless we're also bringing back a 30 year old Steve Nash then heeeell no. D'Antoni has proven pretty soundly that minus Steve Nash he cannot find any measure of success.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have completely reversed course. I think D'Antoni should be back...........as our new mascot. Can you imagine the endorsement tie ins? He could just keep his facial hair with the face cut out of a giant Pringles can.

"You know you want to eat these in 7 seconds or less".

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I have completely reversed course. I think D'Antoni should be back...........as our new mascot. Can you imagine the endorsement tie in. He could just keep his facial hair with the face cut out of a giant Pringles can.

"You know you want to eat these in 7 seconds or less".

"Phoenix Pringles!" :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It's Purely Offensive.......how good these chips are".

You must be registered for see images attach

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni could possibly be the next Kings HC based on what I hear about how they wanna run their new system and offense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think D'Antoni could possibly be the next Kings HC based on what I hear about how they wanna run their new system and offense.
'Should be an entertaining couple of years as he wears his 7.5 player rotation into the ground.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He sounds like a good fit as I believe the Kings only want to play four men on defense and let the fifth player leak out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a bunch of clowns.

You guys really have no clue.

This board sure is becoming a pleasant place.

As far as I'm concerned the book closed on Mike D'Antoni's coaching prowess when he made Mike Woodson look like Pat Riley. At this point I don't know how anyone could still latch onto the idea that he is a good head coach.

He is the NBA's Mike Martz. Both dramatically changed the offensive landscapes of their league's with teams copying and evolving their ideas, but thats where their talent ends. Except in D'Antoni's case, his talents were attached to Steve Nash's ability to run the show. Without Nash he is among the league's worst coaches.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

As far as I'm concerned the book closed on Mike D'Antoni's coaching prowess when he made Mike Woodson look like Pat Riley. At this point I don't know how anyone could still latch onto the idea that he is a good head coach.

He is the NBA's Mike Martz. Both dramatically changed the offensive landscapes of their league's with teams copying and evolving their ideas, but thats where their talent ends. Except in D'Antoni's case, his talents were attached to Steve Nash's ability to run the show. Without Nash he is among the league's worst coaches.

This.

In no way should any team looking to improve a young roster look to Mike D'Antoni. Period.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I made this comparison like 5 years ago on this board and you are 100% correct. The similarities are scary close.
I'm too lazy to list them all again, but here are several things:
Ego
Stubborn
Nash and Warner
innovative
Ingenuity
Aggressive
Not concerned with defense
Got figured out eventually
Failed miserably once given other coaching jobs
No championships
Both named Mike :)

It's really too bad each of these men failed to evolve their offensive concepts, make compromises and learn to adjust with the game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this comparison like 5 years ago on this board and you are 100% correct. The similarities are scary close.
I'm too lazy to list them all again, but here are several things:
Ego
Stubborn
Nash and Warner
innovative
Ingenuity
Aggressive
Not concerned with defense
Got figured out eventually
Failed miserably once given other coaching jobs
No championships
Both named Mike :)

It's really too bad each of these men failed to evolve their offensive concepts, make compromises and learn to adjust with the game.

You left out the connection to the Valley of the Sun. Martz was on the ASU staff for 7 or 8 years.

Steve