Sighting

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
He used to

CHAPTER 7 said:
I saw Danny Ainge at Seven Eleven, corner of Gilbert and Houston (between Baseline and Guadalupe). That was probably 2001. He was actually pumping gass for his crappy mo ped. It was bit odd since he was actually riding such a thing. He seems to have problem with the bike. My wife was telling me to go talk to him but he seemed bit pissed so I didn't. I wonder if he lived around there...

His kids went to the Houston Elementary school there on the corner. He used to live in Custom homes just north of the school. I know because my 2 nieces went there to school and knew the Ainges.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I’ll share my Manute Bol story at the Ritz Carlton on Camelback (this is where opposing teams would usually stay when coming to Phoenix). I had just gotten into an empty elevator. As the doors were about closed a long alien like arm reached around the top of the doors and in walks Manute Bol with a coach or team staff guy. It was the freakiest elevator ride I’ve ever taken. The dude was so tall that he stood in one corner of the elevator and I was in the other corner and he was literally so hunched over that his head was looking down directly over me. It was very bizarre. And no I didn’t say anything to him, because what the heck do you say in that situation, “Hey dude, you’re really tall. Look at how half your body snakes across the roof of this elevator from one side to the other.” It was hard enough trying not to stare at the poor guy. He even kind of lumbered down the hall sort of spider/alien like.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I saw Bobby Jackson a few years ago at a local Safeway. It was a Saturday morning, and he was wearing a wife beater and buying beer. You'd figure with all the money he has, he'd be buying some quality tasty beer, but he was buying nasty MGD. :shrug:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
As long as we are telling sighting/player contact stores, i've got one:

I met a friend in college in Oregon who was Cliff Robinsons half brother, and Rasheed Wallace had hooked him up with Mavericks-Blazers First round tickets. I think it was 2002. We actually stayed at Cliff Robinsins House in Beaverton (Just outside of Portland). It was an awesome place. Cliff was with Detroit in the playoffs at that point, so he wasn't there. My Friend gave me Cliffs Jersey from when he played for the suns (The real one, game worn and all) The thing is huge! I'm about 6' tall and it's like a dress on me. The jersey is still at my Parents house in Boise since i moved to Memphs 2 years ago.

My wife works for a cleaning company that cleans Shane Battiers house in Memphis. She doesn't clean the house but someitmes works with the girl who does.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
se7en said:
Oh, I guess I’ll share my Manute Bol story at the Ritz Carlton on Camelback (this is where opposing teams would usually stay when coming to Phoenix). I had just gotten into an empty elevator. As the doors were about closed a long alien like arm reached around the top of the doors and in walks Manute Bol with a coach or team staff guy. It was the freakiest elevator ride I’ve ever taken. The dude was so tall that he stood in one corner of the elevator and I was in the other corner and he was literally so hunched over that his head was looking down directly over me. It was very bizarre. And no I didn’t say anything to him, because what the heck do you say in that situation, “Hey dude, you’re really tall. Look at how half your body snakes across the roof of this elevator from one side to the other.” It was hard enough trying not to stare at the poor guy. He even kind of lumbered down the hall sort of spider/alien like.

Am I the only one who was in two years reading this? That was a great story, Arizona's Finest.

AzKarl said:
His kids went to the Houston Elementary school there on the corner. He used to live in Custom homes just north of the school. I know because my 2 nieces went there to school and knew the Ainges.

Actually his home was just south and east of Houston elementary in Circle G.

Joe Mama

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
se7en said:
LMAO - awesome story

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in 2nd grade, I won tickets to see the Suns (back when they were still in the Coliseum). Anyway, after the game, my dad and I were walking in the parking lot and we saw Dick Van Arsdale (sp?). I dont remember having a clue who he was at the time, but we still went over to him and chatted for a second and he signed my suns pennant. I guess now looking back it was cool, but when I was 8, it wasn't that exciting for me.

I also met Cheryl Miller at Sky Harbor (back when she was the coach for the Mercury).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had quite a few sightings or whatever you want to call it.

I have had lunch at Yoshi's with Shawn Marion. Ok, technically we did not go to the restaurant with him, but we were the only people in the restaurant, so he decided to sit with us. It is on 24th Street and Indian School I think.

Also, not really a sighting, but in 2003, I was on the court during a Suns open practice, and shot around and took pictures with Connie Hawkins and Bo Outlaw.

I have had tons of other "sightings" but most of them are not Suns related.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Years and years ago, when I was working nights for awhile, I stopped at a grocery store on the way home from work and found myself standing in line behind The Original Sun, Dick Van Arsdale.

He, his twin brother Tom, Dr. J, and I share the same birthday, so we made some small talk, then chatted about the Suns.

At the end of the conversation, I said, "I am talking with Dick, not Tom, right?"

He responded, "You'll never know." But I knew it was Dick.

(I didn't ask him if, like the Smothers Brothers line from Tommy to Dick, "Mom always liked you best".)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake