since the turnaround game vs spurs

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
that's really been the game i look to as the one that changed the suns fortunes. they're 10-2 since that time, and its not due to luck: they moved shaq inside. since then, here's a couple interesting stats:

amare
30.1ppg/9.8reb/2.5ast/59%fg/83%ft
on top of this, amare avg'd 17 fga's and 12 fta's/game. you KNOW the offense now features him.

shaq
14.2ppg/10.1reb/65%fg
even more curious is wondering what happened from march 19th-22th, because since then (6 games) shaq is shooting 70% at the line off about 40 fta's.

I looked back through history to find 2 guys that were as offensively dominant (own the paint, lots of points, very high fg%) paired in the frontcourt. kevin mchale and robert parish in the late 80's.

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
Wow amazing numbers.

Amare is simply the most dominating PF in the league right now by far, no argument, HANDS DOWN

To be comparable to Mchale and parish is pretty amazing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look at all the players and I'd say he's maybe the 3rd best player OVERALL in the league right now. And that's being generous to Lebron James.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
We now have what they call in the political world: The Big Mo'!

we now have what the New Kids On the Block call: The Right Stuff!

We are now what the Toronto Raptors Television Commentator calls: Sick Wicked and Nasty!

GO SUNS

Now if Barbosa could show up consistently and if Diaw could act like a man...

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I looked back through history to find 2 guys that were as offensively dominant (own the paint, lots of points, very high fg%) paired in the frontcourt. kevin mchale and robert parish in the late 80's.

Akeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson.

David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson.

Wilt Chamberlain and anybody with a pulse.

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
Akeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson.

David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson.

Wilt Chamberlain and anybody with a pulse.

hakeem and ralph in 85-
20/12 on 54% and 22/10 on 50%

drob and duncan in 99-
21/11 on 51% and 21/12 on 55%

zo and lj in 93-
21/10 on 51% and 22/11 on 53%

the %'s of both shaq and amare and size of shaq heavily in favor of the current suns.

i can't really think of 2 guys shooting 60% on a team and scoring in volume. factor in that Nash's adjusted fg% is ALSO over 60%, and you have the big 3 of the suns all shooting over 60%!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...=nba&split=0&season=2008&seasontype=2&pos=all
all 3 are in the top 10 in that front of the league, and those numbers are rising...

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
These are numbers for a full season not a stretch of game. Let see if Shaq /Amare can keep the rhythm until the NBA finals.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
hakeem and ralph in 85-

drob and duncan in 99-

zo and lj in 93-

the %'s of both shaq and amare and size of shaq heavily in favor of the current suns.

i can't really think of 2 guys shooting 60% on a team and scoring in volume. factor in that Nash's adjusted fg% is ALSO over 60%, and you have the big 3 of the suns all shooting over 60%!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...=nba&split=0&season=2008&seasontype=2&pos=all
all 3 are in the top 10 in that front of the league, and those numbers are rising...

Stoudemire and Marion in '04
26/8.9 and 19.4/11.3

and Nash was the MVP that year.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Last edited:

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
One guy who a lot of people, myself included, really miss and would absolutely be perfect on this team right now is Tim Thomas.

I know he's lazy and was only out for $$$, but it's possible that he had the most fun of his career on our team during our playoff run on 2005.

Can you imagine him coming off the bench?

PG: Nash/Strawberry
SG: Bell/Barbosa
SF: Hill/Thomas/Giricek
PF: Stoudemire/Diaw
C: Shaq/Skinner

There's no way any team in the league would be able to beat us in a 7 game series. I'll always remember him for that dagger in game 6. The silence in Staples Centre right after that shot was awesome.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
hakeem and ralph in 85-

drob and duncan in 99-

zo and lj in 93-

Our entire starting 5, and our 6th man, is on that list.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
IMO this stat just means we have a lot of easy basket in transition (and that we have talented player but we already knew that).

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
were running a sick play that seems to work everytime if they can make the right pass..

nash and amare pick and roll .. as they are doing it if shaqs defender comes up to help.. shaq drops into the paint for a wide open dunk..

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shaq is looking his fittest since... well even fitter than when he helped the Heat win the ring. He is slimmer and factoring in that he is 2 years older... he is moving very similarly... although vertical leap is at his worst, but thats due to running more in the system and legs on big guys get fatigue easier.... but playoff time, his size and smarts down the post would be crucial.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One guy who a lot of people, myself included, really miss and would absolutely be perfect on this team right now is Tim Thomas.

I know he's lazy and was only out for $$$, but it's possible that he had the most fun of his career on our team during our playoff run on 2005.

Can you imagine him coming off the bench?

PG: Nash/Strawberry
SG: Bell/Barbosa
SF: Hill/Thomas/Giricek
PF: Stoudemire/Diaw
C: Shaq/Skinner

There's no way any team in the league would be able to beat us in a 7 game series. I'll always remember him for that dagger in game 6. The silence in Staples Centre right after that shot was awesome.

There is no way D'Antoni uses 11 guys in any rotation of his. D'Antoni is already starting to shorten the bench again. Strawberry, Skinner and either Thomas or Giricek would never leave the bench. Heck I wish they would player Skinner more when Shaq goes to the bench. I also think Strawberry is still a year away from contributing.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
hakeem and ralph in 85-

drob and duncan in 99-

zo and lj in 93-

Thats wonderful for the team. It's also troubling.
Coming into the playoffs, the one thing coaches like to see is balance and that everyone is contributing. It's a tough sell to say that 60% shooting by three players is going to get you to the promised land this year.

Stranger things have happened though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming into the playoffs, the one thing coaches like to see is balance and that everyone is contributing. It's a tough sell to say that 60% shooting by three players is going to get you to the promised land this year.

What??!!?!? 3 guys shooting over 60% is the definition of balance. What are you talking about? It's not like you have one guy scoring 80% of your points. Look no further then the teams out of the playoffs that have guys all scoring 10 to 15 points but nobody standing out. That would be considered balance by your definition. No thanks.

There is nothing troubling about that. Ask any coach if they would like to have 3 guys shooting 60% on their team and if they thought it would help them win a title.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

LOL, that's classic. "Your stars are playing too well; you'd be better off if they missed more shots."

I think the Suns will take their chances with, you know, doing things like scoring 81 in a half against a team fighting for a playoff spot.

I know last night's loss has to hurt, but you're making a fool out of yourself. Hope for revenge tonight and keep quiet until then.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
What??!!?!? 3 guys shooting over 60% is the definition of balance. What are you talking about? It's not like you have one guy scoring 80% of your points. Look no further then the teams out of the playoffs that have guys all scoring 10 to 15 points but nobody standing out. That would be considered balance by your definition. No thanks.

There is nothing troubling about that. Ask any coach if they would like to have 3 guys shooting 60% on their team and if they thought it would help them win a title.

Detroit anyone? Boston anyone? San Antonio anyone? The averages are a bit higher than 10-15, around 17-20, but you get the point.

In the Denver game it was even more exaggerated. 73% of the offense came from them. My point is that 60% shooting isn't sustainable by anyone, and if you've only got 3 guys doing it to begin with, well...........

No that's not balanced at all. Good that they are doing it, but they need someone else to help out with the load.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

Balance? Have you not been following the thread? 3 guys are shooting 60% and the rest of the starting lineup is over 52%. What coach in their right mind wouldn't want that? If that isn't balance I don't know what is...

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Last edited:

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
LOL, that's classic. "Your stars are playing too well; you'd be better off if they missed more shots."

I think the Suns will take their chances with, you know, doing things like scoring 81 in a half against a team fighting for a playoff spot.

I know last night's loss has to hurt, but you're making a fool out of yourself. Hope for revenge tonight and keep quiet until then.

Actually it's you who are the fool if you believe that 60% shooting is sustainable for any extended length of time, by all three players no less.

Your offense relies on three guys shooting an unbelieveable percentage right now. Keep believing in that system. Lets see how far it carries you.

Also, just a quick note on the 81 in a half: These are the Denver Nuggets.......

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Balance? Have you not been following the thread? 3 guys are shooting 60% and the rest of the starting lineup is over 52%. What coach in their right mind wouldn't want that? If that isn't balance I don't know what is...

If this is a fact then I stand corrected. I'm still wondering what happens when the 60% shooting hits the pavement in the playoffs........

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05