since the turnaround game vs spurs

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually it's you who are the fool if you believe that 60% shooting is sustainable for any extended length of time, by all three players no less.

Isn't 90% of the season an "extended length of time"? Will they shoot 60% in the playoffs, no, because all percentages go down in the playoffs. But they've already shown that they can do it consistently, because they've been doing it the whole year. (It's adjusted FG%, by the way, in case that makes it any easier for you to swallow.)

Also, just a quick note on the 81 in a half: These are the Denver Nuggets.......

Please remind me which other teams have scored 81 in a half against the Nuggets this season.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Isn't 90% of the season an "extended length of time"? Will they shoot 60% in the playoffs, no, because all percentages go down in the playoffs. But they've already shown that they can do it consistently, because they've been doing it the whole year. (It's adjusted FG%, by the way, in case that makes it any easier for you to swallow.)

Please remind me which other teams have scored 81 in a half against the Nuggets this season.

Didn't catch the adjusted part, I thought that was for Nash only.

Since all percentages go down in the playoffs, wouldn't it concern you that such a high percentage of points are coming from 3 players? Is that balance?

To answer your Nuggets trivia question- none. They give up 106.1 per contest however. That's the important stat. You never know which Nuggets team is going to show up one night to the next.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since all percentages go down in the playoffs, wouldn't it concern you that such a high percentage of points are coming from 3 players? Is that balance?

Without looking it up, I would guess that Duncan/Ginobili/Parker accounted for at least 75% of the Spurs' points during their last championship run. Jordan/Pippen by themselves probably accounted for 60% of the Bulls' offense in some of their playoff years. So, no, it doesn't concern me in the least. Three high-potency options is plenty for any offense, and the strategy of making Nash a scorer rather than a distributor has historically failed in the playoffs.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Didn't catch the adjusted part, I thought that was for Nash only.

To answer your Nuggets trivia question- none. They give up 106.1 per contest however. That's the important stat. You never know which Nuggets team is going to show up one night to the next.

Adjusted FG% according to ESPN.com

Nash .609
Stoudemire .588
O'Neal .594
Hill .526
Bell .535
Barbosa .539
Diaw .486

Leave out Diaw and the difference between first and last is .083
Should we be worried? :sarcasm:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit anyone? Boston anyone? San Antonio anyone? The averages are a bit higher than 10-15, around 17-20, but you get the point.

In the Denver game it was even more exaggerated. 73% of the offense came from them. My point is that 60% shooting isn't sustainable by anyone, and if you've only got 3 guys doing it to begin with, well...........

No that's not balanced at all. Good that they are doing it, but they need someone else to help out with the load.

Do I really need to list the teams that fall into your category but are not making the playoffs? You make it sound like your team should have a squad where everybody harmoniously scores around the same amount of points. There are more examples of teams that suck that do that then there are of teams that fit that bill but have a ring. Yes, you want contribution from guys. However, you can do it in more then one way.

Let's look at a couple of the teams you mentioned. They have guys in their starting lineup averaging less then 15 PPG.

Spurs
Bruce Bowen = 6PPG
Finley, Udoka, Thomas or whomever = less then 10 PPG

Boston
Kendrick Perkins = 7.4 PPG.
Rajon Rondo = 10.7 PPG

See what I am getting at? Most teams don't have balanced scoring like your suggesting. More teams do not. However, there is more to a balanced roster then scoring. Rebounding anyone? Defense anyone? Assists anyone? Steals anyone?

Sorry but I don't get the point. The Suns are about as balanced as they come.

Last edited:

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Do I really need to list the teams that fall into your category but are not making the playoffs? You make it sound like your team should have a squad where everybody harmoniously scores around the same amount of points. There are more examples of teams that suck that do that then there are of teams that fit that bill but have a ring. Yes, you want contribution from guys. However, you can do it in more then one way.

Let's look at a couple of the teams you mentioned. They have guys in their starting lineup averaging less then 15 PPG.

Spurs
Bruce Bowen = 6PPG

Boston
Rajon Rondo = 10.7 PPG

See what I am getting at? Most teams don't have balanced scoring like your suggesting. More teams do not. However, there is more to a balanced roster then scoring. Rebounding anyone? Defense anyone? Assists anyone? Steals anyone?

Sorry but I don't get the point. The Suns are about as balanced as they come.

It's painfully obvious from the first part of your post. I'm done. Let's see what the playoffs look like then.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's painfully obvious from the first part of your post. I'm done. Let's see what the playoffs look like then.

Fine by me. Bring it on. I was just showing you that your point doesn't mesh up with any real world examples. Those teams that you mentioned I consider pretty balanced but not because of scoring or FG%. As I said, there is more to a balanced roster then what you stated. So your right...there are some things painfully obvious....but I will refrain. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Someone poisoned Agloco's watering hole.

Our team has the best adjusted FG% in the league and it makes him worry.

April Fool's joke gone bad.

damo

Registered
Reaction score

What do you care? Chances are the nuggets probably won't even be there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you care? Chances are the nuggets probably won't even be there.

He cares because he is a Spurs fan and is looking for anyway to make him feel better about his teams chances.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Look at Josh Childress rocking it right behind Nash.

I'd trade Diaw/ATL for him in a S&T in a heartbeat this summer.

Is that supposed to be a joke? You think Atlanta would want Diaw back at $9M/yr?

My point is that 60% shooting isn't sustainable by anyone, and if you've only got 3 guys doing it to begin with, well...........

What do you mean it’s not sustainable? We’re not talking about averages over the last 10 games, we’re talking about season averages. They can sustain these averages because they have sustained these averages.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Is that supposed to be a joke? You think Atlanta would want Diaw back at $9M/yr?

What do you mean it’s not sustainable? We’re not talking about averages over the last 10 games, we’re talking about regular season averages. They can sustain these averages because they have sustained these averages.

Fixed

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Fine by me. Bring it on. I was just showing you that your point doesn't mesh up with any real world examples. Those teams that you mentioned I consider pretty balanced but not because of scoring or FG%. As I said, there is more to a balanced roster then what you stated. So your right...there are some things painfully obvious....but I will refrain. :rolleyes:

Of course. But as I recall, we were talking about FG% specifically, hence my examples stemmed from that train of thought. Too bad you couldn't remain focused on the conversation at hand.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
He cares because he is a Spurs fan and is looking for anyway to make him feel better about his teams chances.

I'd actually look elsewhere if I needed to do that. I think the Spurs chances are good no matter what I decide to post here.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Of course. But as I recall, we were talking about FG% specifically, hence my examples stemmed from that train of thought. Too bad you couldn't remain focused on the conversation at hand.

Ah but I did and you ignored it eh? Remember this golden oldie I posted on page 2:

Adjusted FG% according to ESPN.com

Nash .609
Stoudemire .588
O'Neal .594
Hill .526
Bell .535
Barbosa .539
Diaw .486

Leave out Diaw and the difference between first and last is .083
Should we be worried? :sarcasm:

Or is balanced FG% NOT what we are talking about?

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
Ah but I did and you ignored it eh? Remember this golden oldie I posted on page 2:

Or is balanced FG% NOT what we are talking about?

Balance? Have you not been following the thread? 3 guys are shooting 60% and the rest of the starting lineup is over 52%. What coach in their right mind wouldn't want that? If that isn't balance I don't know what is...

If this is a fact then I stand corrected. I'm still wondering what happens when the 60% shooting hits the pavement in the playoffs........

It was answered indirectly through another poster. Sorry I don't have time to respond to all of my fan mail. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you have a short attention span or something? I also countered your claim with the examples you gave with hard facts. Maybe you just choose to be selective on your "fan mail". So here you go again...in case you missed it. Oh by the way, you used the term "balance" not me. It's not my fault you don't understand the term.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spurs
Bruce Bowen = 6PPG

Boston
Rajon Rondo = 10.7 PPG

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member