Snyder is nuts!

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Redskins | Coles Next on the List? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
20:10 PT: The Washington Post reports the Washington Redskins are close to agreeing to a contract offer sheet with restricted free agent WR Laveranues Coles (Jets) according to NFL sources. If the team were to add Coles, it would cost them their first-round draft pick in this year’s draft. He’s probable to agree to a multi-year contract worth about $5 million per year with a signing bonus in excess of $10 million.

$5 million per year, a $10 million signing bonus and the 13th overall pick for Coles?

(awaits Boston posts...)

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Not necessarily. The Redskins need a #1 receiver , but none are on the market anymore, and chances are neither Charles Rogers nor Andre Johnson will fall to #13.
They were considering trading up for either of those prospects which would have cost them #13 plus another high draft pick either this year or in the future.
With Coles you get a proven thus more reliable commodity (than a rookie) for your #13 pick, which incidentally wouldn't have helped you address the #1 need on your ball club anyway.
I like the move, but the offer would have to be pretty outlandish for the Jets not to match.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
Not necessarily. The Redskins need a #1 receiver , but none are on the market anymore, and chances are neither Charles Rogers nor Andre Johnson will fall to #13.

Is Coles a #1? After one good season?

Ditto Peerless Price. I think the Falcons and whoever ends up paying Coles a $10,000,000 bonus are going to end up severely disappointed.

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
How the heck can the Skins keep signing guys to crazy contracts?????? How are they ever going to get back under the Cap. Who are they going to let lose as a result???????

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Is Coles a #1? After one good season?

Yeah, in this market he probably is. Price was a #2 in Buffalo, so your point has some validity, but I think he'll excel on the turf in Atlanta.
Like Atlanta, the Redskins want a receiver who can stretch the field and Coles has great speed.
In light of all their recent signings, the Redskins feel that they can win right now. I still have my doubts, but you've got to commend an organization that's willing to put their money where their mouth is and shoot for the stars in 1 year, not in 3.

pinnacle

Reaction score
the skins have to be way over the cap again...they will have to cut someone decent loose after June 1..

What is weird is..who is going to be their qb? are they counting on rob johnson - or is he the backup.

I think the eagles and giants will end up staying about the same... for the accolades given washington - I still think they finish no higher than 3rd in their division..

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was stationed at Ft. Riley, one of my soldiers kept telling me about this kid "Laverneous Coles" that he went to high school with and how great he was going to be, so I started paying more attention to him while he was in college and then in the pro's.

Now, I don't think he's a legit #1, nor is he worth anything close to a $10 mil signing bonus, but he is young, talented, and a good pickup.

The Skins may not have gotten anyone of his caliber (proven) at #13, and now they don't have to pay 1st rd. salary (well, they just did).

Snyder is nuts, but he's getting things done. I can't wait to laugh my a$$ off in a couple years, when this spending spree comes back to bite him in the..................

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Just to Clarify

Len Pasqurelli needs to stop reading my posts:

His statistics last year were comparable to those of Price and the Redskins contend that Coles posted his numbers as the Jets "lead" receiver. Price, they emphasized privately as they worked feverishly on the Coles deal during the weekend, had the benefit of playing opposite Eric Moulds in Buffalo, and usually worked against single coverage.

Once the head coach assessed that Coles was superior to any prospect the Redskins would land with their first-round selection next month -- and that it would be less expensive to sacrifice that choice than to attempt to trade up in the round to land either Charles Rogers of Michigan State or Andre Johnson of Miami -- Snyder and Barnes intensified their negotiations.

And for the record, my post did beat Mr. Pasquarelli's article, because as soon as Alan reported this I went right to ESPN.com to confirm and they had nothing.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
I like the move, but the offer would have to be pretty outlandish for the Jets not to match.

And it is.

The deal is for seven years, ESPN.com has confirmed, and is worth $35 million. It includes a signing bonus of $13 million, which is the largest ever paid to a wide receiver in a first "rider," and a roster bonus of $2 million in July of 2006. The cap number for the 2003 season would be about $2.31 million.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22