So much for Phillp Rivers

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chargers' plans revealed: The Chargers cleared up their major offseason issues when quarterback Drew Brees revealed the team contacted him and told him before his shoulder surgery that they would try to extend his contract and keep him with the team. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed that conversation and also said the team will not trade Philip Rivers.

Bobcat

Reaction score
clif said:
Chargers' plans revealed: The Chargers cleared up their major offseason issues when quarterback Drew Brees revealed the team contacted him and told him before his shoulder surgery that they would try to extend his contract and keep him with the team. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed that conversation and also said the team will not trade Philip Rivers.

One good reason for not holdng out for a better contract. Rivers is riding the pines for being so greedy. Brees took advantage of the situation and won his QB spot as a starter. Rivers is the highest paid bench warmer in the history of the NFL. Think that this kid really need a new agent. If he doesn't start soon his skills may erode. Yes they just may. You can only learn so-much by riding the bench. It realy looks like the Manning's knew what they were doing when Eli refused to play for the "BOLTS." Kudo's to the Manning's for being so perceptive.

I bet that Rivers would welcome a tade even to us, for a chance to start. Hint hint Mr. B. Rod an Dennis. He probably had for a 4th, C. Pace and B. Johnson.

Bobcat

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dunno, if they say Rivers is off the table, it may just mean that a team saying "We'll give you X and X" now has to say "We'll give you X, X, and X".
Or not.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
I bet that Rivers would welcome a tade even to us, for a chance to start. Hint hint Mr. B. Rod an Dennis. He probably had for a 4th, C. Pace and B. Johnson.

Bobcat

Didn't Brees hurt his shoulder in the final game of the season? If so, why wouldn't they keep Rivers? I doubt they will trade him.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego would be stupid if they sign Brees to a long term deal and keep Rivers. That would mean that they would have nearly $25 M in Brees, Rivers, and LT.

IMO, they will look to improve their OL and DB's in a Rivers trade.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it will all work out but I will be very surprised if SD does lock up Brees and doesn't at least try to trade Rivers, that Rivers won't start screaming bloody murder. Three years on the bench I really think Rivers skills, if he ever would have been able to thrive in the NFL (because who really knows) will erode. His position for his second contract should also be in trouble. Seems like it could be the case, San Diego is trying to stregthen their bargaining power if someone does come sniffing around for a trade, but if they really intend to keep him in mothballs, I expect Rivers or his lawyer, or both to start squawking.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, probably the smart thing for SD to do--have the guy you know you can count on on the roster, and the guy who will be his replacement on the bench.

The one thing that's tough is that they're so close to a super-bowl that one player could make a difference. Tough call.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The best way to trade somebody is to say, "We are not trading XXX. I repeat, we are not trading XXX. XXX is NOT on the trading block . . . trade . . . trade . . .trade"

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:

Actually Brees let it slip in an interview the Chargers and he were working on a long term extension. The article I read in USA Today did not mention Rivers.

Reaction score
The wildcard here is the injury to Brees. Yes, prior to the injury, the Chargers were going to lock him up and then hold on to Rivers to try and get a rock solid trade.

Now, with the injury, everything is up in the air. They must resign Brees by the end of February, but his injury will not be healed in time by then which makes a long-term contract very risky.

My guess is they abandon their previous plan of signing Brees long term and instead do a repeat of the '05 season: franchise tag Brees for one year, let Rivers sit on the bench.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Remember the 49er's did the same thing with Montana and Young. It worked for them.

Montana was pretty well into his career when they brought Young in. Young could expect that at some point, Montana would retire or whatnot and that he'd get his chance. Brees however is hardly older than Rivers. Also Young had gotten a chance to cut his teeth in the USFL and the NFL before he settled in SF. Even so, initially Young wasn't happy and there was some plan to work out a trade to get him a starter job somewhere. By contrast, Rivers deal is essentially: "sit there on the bench just in case we need you. We are going to sign Brees for a long term deal and the hope is that we aren't going to need you. You are there just in case." I just can't see how Rivers could be happy with that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedViper said:
Montana was pretty well into his career when they brought Young in. Young could expect that at some point, Montana would retire or whatnot and that he'd get his chance. Brees however is hardly older than Rivers. Also Young had gotten a chance to cut his teeth in the USFL and the NFL before he settled in SF. Even so, initially Young wasn't happy and there was some plan to work out a trade to get him a starter job somewhere. By contrast, Rivers deal is essentially: "sit there on the bench just in case we need you. We are going to sign Brees for a long term deal and the hope is that we aren't going to need you. You are there just in case." I just can't see how Rivers could be happy with that.

Shoot pay me millions to hold a clipboard and maybe hold on FG's and I'd be happy.

But Rivers is on record as saying he WILL be a starter next year somewhere so it'll be interesting what happens.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Shoot pay me millions to hold a clipboard and maybe hold on FG's and I'd be happy.

But Rivers is on record as saying he WILL be a starter next year somewhere so it'll be interesting what happens.

Russ, I didn't know he had said that, but that sounds right. Rivers must feel like he's been a good soldier so far, waiting patiently in the wings keeping his mouth shut. But I can't see him doing so any longer.