Soft.. I miss Michael Jordan

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't post much in the Suns forum, but tonight's performance was just soft. No way to get around it. Even after some absolutely atrocious offense this team still had a chance to win. That is what is so freaking frustrating.

Why I mentioned MJ? Remember when his team would lose their rhythm he would nut up and take the ball strong. Why can't this team do that?

Still love them..it is just so damn annoying to lose a game like that.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i wish we could play the lakers tomorrow. i dont want to wait 3 days for the ever-crucial game 4. Personally, i think if we win we get the series in 5; but if we lose it goes to 7 and we are forced to burn more energy than is necessary

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when his team would lose their rhythm he would nut up and take the ball strong.

That is what Kobe did tonight.

The only chance, as tiny as it is, is for the Lakers to play at the rim more, more driving and stop the jumpers. The way that Kobe played tonight is the way he should play the rest of the series, but even FEWER jumpers, IMO. The only chance we have is to get very aggresive, take the ball to the rack strong and try to get foul trouble on your guys.

Good game, at least my guys finally came out with some heart.

Smush was a ****** at the end of the game...abomb and I were saying that he should have got free throws and airballed them both on purpose. Would have been classy to do after being a bitch.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You miss Michael Jordan because the Suns were soft?

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You miss Michael Jordan because the Suns were soft?

Sigh.... I miss the way Michael Jordan would attack the rim when his jumpshots weren't falling. I miss seeing a champion perform like that in a tough game. Tonight the Suns should have taken a page out of that book. When the shots aren't falling and you aren't getting to the line you need to nut up and attack the rim. That is what was so entertaining (among other things) about Michael Jordan. These guys don't normally play like that. Most nights they don't need to, but tonight was one of the nights they did.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Sigh.... I miss the way Michael Jordan would attack the rim when his jumpshots weren't falling. I miss seeing a champion perform like that in a tough game. Tonight the Suns should have taken a page out of that book. When the shots aren't falling and you aren't getting to the line you need to nut up and attack the rim. That is what was so entertaining (among other things) about Michael Jordan. These guys don't normally play like that. Most nights they don't need to, but tonight was one of the nights they did.

I think the point that Third Person and I are trying to make is that the Suns aren't champions, so there's nothing to "miss" when they don't play like champions. Maybe later they'll earn a championship, and then we can wish for the good old days when they go soft again. As of now, though, they are historically soft and have the track record to prove it, so pining for the days when they played like champions is an exercise in absurdity.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the point that Third Person and I are trying to make is that the Suns aren't champions, so there's nothing to "miss" when they don't play like champions. Maybe later they'll earn a championship, and then we can wish for the good old days when they go soft again. As of now, though, they are historically soft and have the track record to prove it, so pining for the days when they played like champions is an exercise in absurdity.

I'm sorry if you think its absurd. The obvious desire is for the Suns to achieve a championship and the point of the post was to cite an example of someone who the Suns should emulate strictly in regards to sensing when the shot is not working and being aggressive. Excuse me for mentioning someone outside the Suns circle. :bigyawn:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it's just the word "miss" that confused us. What you mean is that you "want" or "wish for" Michael Jordan, which is a fine sentiment. You can't "miss" what you never had, that's all.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've given plenty of thought about how the Suns have lacked a physical/intimidating player, however, in the mold of either a Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn. True, many individuals despised their style of player (except for those such as myself who rooted for them during those "Bad Boy" years), but that's the missing ingredient that the Suns need to address (and they have a chance in this year's draft).

Some have expressed that KT fulfills that role, however, he's obviously a shadow of his former self. Raja Bell has provided opponents fits with his aggressive style, but he would detract away from other key facets of his game if he was to focus on becoming the Suns "enforcer".

They just need that player who will deliver that hard foul (whenever the situation dictates). Would stand-up when one of the highly skilled star players were viciously fouled (would make the other team think twice before resorting to that again). Just a player to do the dirty work. The Suns obviously have all the scorers, but need to balance that out to a certain degree.

Unfortunately, Diaw will never develop into that player. He's of course to the contrary. I must just say this about Diaw. I cannot figure out why people ask.. what happened to him like this season is a total aberration. The fact of the matter was... it appears more evident that last season was a fluke. People say...well... it was because of Amare's and KT's return which is why Diaw has become this year's MRP (Most Regressed Player). I beg to differ. He just lacks the killer instinct. He tends to be too tentative. That might be why the Hawks were so inclined to part with him in the first place. It's too bad to judge on a small sample size, but the Suns were forced to gauge him during a contract year. Oh well... he does have some time to salvage himself, but I just feel that last year was essentially a fluke. Hope he can prove me wrong.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't post much in the Suns forum, but tonight's performance was just soft. No way to get around it. Even after some absolutely atrocious offense this team still had a chance to win. That is what is so freaking frustrating.

Why I mentioned MJ? Remember when his team would lose their rhythm he would nut up and take the ball strong. Why can't this team do that?

Still love them..it is just so damn annoying to lose a game like that.

But soft, what light through yonder window breaks...

Mulli misses Jordan as well. Mulli lives in Chicago.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
When will insulting MJ become a bannable offense?

I finally figured it out: Kobe is the new Earl Monroe. An amazing talent, amazing shots, but as dysfunctional in a father-figure-less team as Homer Simpson is in his 'family'. With the Knicks he had Bradley, the rightful President, plus DeBusschere, a mature influence, and Frazier, a stabler brother.

Well, the Suns won fairly decisively...the sky has been patched, even Diaw has shown toughness (2 possessions out of 20, admittedly), and Amare was used just well enough to make everything fine. Laker-troll sightings can be predicted to decline by mid-week, but Mav-troll sightings seem never to go away.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I finally figured it out: Kobe is the new Earl Monroe. An amazing talent, amazing shots, but as dysfunctional in a father-figure-less team as Homer Simpson is in his 'family'. With the Knicks he had Bradley, the rightful President, plus DeBusschere, a mature influence, and Frazier, a stabler brother.
Don't forget the Captain, Willis Reed.

Wow, 'haven't thought about Earl the Pearl in a long time. But I don't think he was ever as strong a focal point as Kobe, even with the Bullets. He was more of an entertainer than anything.

By the way, who was playing off the bench for the Knicks during those Championship seasons? Phil Jackson, a 6'7" backup Forward.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05