Some off-season thoughts

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Top priority is a no-brainer. We must fix our O-line.

Next, get Kolb's contract restructured. He already agreed to do it if needed. He is not the second best player on the team. He shouldn't be paid like it.

I sure hope that Levi Brown ends up back at RT. He played his best there. One guy who I would love to see the Cardinals go after is Bryant McKinnie. I wanted this guy before Baltimore signed him but there were a few questions about some off-field stuff, but he sure looked like a wall blocking for Flacco. I realize that we don't have much cap space but that's fine.

We don't need to make a huge splash in free-agency. We really don't have any must re-signs IMO. I would love to see Groves resigned. He should be a priority. Lenon should be released. Not because of his play because he did nothing but produce every year and is a leader but the Bidwills made a commitment to Stewart Bradley with a 5yr. 25 million deal. Obviously, they saw something in Bradley and so do I. His time is now. You pay a guy that much money, you show why you did. You don't sign a guy to that much cash just to release him.

To finish off the O-line, we can draft one of the top two guards available UNLESS, Jarvis Jones is there. I just can't pass up on Jones and think we would be making a big mistake if we do. Assuming he is gone though ,most talk is about Chance Warmack. Mel Kiper doesn't have Warmack as the first G taken. I was kind of surprised by this. He has Jonathan Goodwin going before Warmack. Did I miss something here? He actually thinks the Cards take Fisher. I don't dislike the pick but assuming we get a guy like McKinnie, he buys you a couple years.

Anyway, We sign Bryant McKinnie, Levi back to RT and Warmack or Goodwin takes over at RG assuming Jones is not available and BAM, O-line issues solved.

I seen today on NFL Live that the Cardinals would probably be open to trading back into the late first round to nab one of the QB's. We could dangle a few picks, maybe a fifth rounder since we have two sixth rounders from the Jefferson trade. This scares me a little because I'm getting a stronger feeling that someway, somehow, Matt Barkley could be there. I hope it's Tyler Wilson. Another name mentioned was Tyler Bray. Either way, if that's what they did, it could be a smart way to go about it. We really wouldn't be reaching that much and could have a better security blanket if Kolb goes down. Yes, I said if not when.

This draft is going to be our make or break on whether we turn it around next season. With some good moves, we are right back in it. We need to draft a RB, another TE and an OLB. Ultimately, it all starts up front. We fix the line, we fix most of our issues.

I still believe that Kolb has to be the guy. It's the organizations job to keep him upright by surrounding him with protection and playing to his strengths which BA will do. Although Kolb has had a problem staying healthy, the guy took more hits than a youtube video. It started in the Hall of Fame game. He was battered by the time he played in the regular season. He showed how tough of a guy he was. Nobody in these forums could of taken a third of the hits that Kolb did and live to tell about it.

I'm very hopeful for this team. I just know in my heart fellas that one day, this team will hoist a Lombardi trophy. One day.

Last edited by a moderator:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like it!

Tbh Kiper/McShay are entertainers, they disagree to promote debate. Most scouts have Warmack as a top 2-3 overall player. The tackle position is getting overrated. A QB has to be able to step up in the pocket and our QB's were constantly flushed out. They can't avoid edge pressure because the DT's are penetrating our horrible interior line. I would take two starting Guards in the first 3 rounds. This offense cannot be successful without running the ball.

And people are taking Jarvis Jones' medical condition too lightly. He will drop big time on draft day, PERIOD.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Top priority is a no-brainer. We must fix our O-line. Next, get Kolb's contract restructured. He already agreed to do it if needed. He is not the second best player on the team. He shouldn't be paid like it. I sure hope that Levi Brown ends up back at RT. He played his best there. One guy who I would love to see the Cardinals go after is Bryant McKinnie. I wanted this guy before Baltimore signed him but there were a few questions about some off-field stuff, but he sure looked like a wall blocking for Flacco. I realize that we don't have much cap space but that's fine. We don't need to make a huge splash in free-agency. We really don't have any must re-signs IMO. I would love to see Groves resigned. He should be a priority. Lenon should be released. Not because of his play because he did nothing but produce every year and is a leader but the Bidwills made a commitment to Stewart Bradley with a 5yr. 25 million deal. Obviously, they saw something in Bradley and so do I. His time is now. You pay a guy that much money, you show why you did. You don't sign a guy to that much cash just to release him. To finish off the O-line, we can draft one of the top two guards available UNLESS, Jarvis Jones is there. I just can't pass up on Jones and think we would be making a big mistake if we do. Assuming he is gone though,most talk is about Chance Warmack. Mel Kiper doesn't have Warmack as the first G taken. I was kind of surprised by this. He has Jonathan Goodwin going before Warmack. Did I miss something here? He actually thinks the Cards take Fisher. I don't dislike the pick but assuming we get a guy like McKinnie, he buys you a couple years. Anyway, We sign Bryant McKinnie, Levi back to RT and Warmack or Goodwin takes over at RG assuming Jones is not available and BAM, O-line issues solved. I seen today on NFL Live that the Cardinals would probably be open to trading back into the late first round to nab one of the QB's. We could dangle a few picks, maybe a fifth rounder since we have two sixth rounders from the Jefferson trade. This scares me a little because I'm getting a stronger feeling that someway, somehow, Matt Barkley could be there. I hope it's Tyler Wilson. Another name mentioned was Tyler Bray. Either way, if that's what they did, it could be a smart way to go about it. We really wouldn't be reaching that much and could have a better security blanket if Kolb goes down. Yes, I said if not when.

This draft is going to be our make or break on whether we turn it around next season. With some good moves, we are right back in it. We need to draft a RB, another TE and an OLB. Ultimately, it all starts up front. We fix the line, we fix most of our issues. I still believe that Kolb has to be the guy. It's the organizations job to keep him upright by surrounding him with protection and playing to his strengths which BA will do. Although Kolb has had a problem staying healthy, the guy took more hits than a youtube video. It started in the Hall of Fame game. He was battered by the time he played in the regular season. He showed how tough of a guy he was. Nobody in these forums could of taken a third of the hits that Kolb did and live to tell about it. I'm very hopeful for this team. I just know in my heart fellas that one day, this team will hoist a Lombardi trophy. One day.

You are talking about Jonathan Cooper OG N. Carolina. If you are then you trade down and get extra picks.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The tackle position is getting overrated. A QB has to be able to step up in the pocket and our QB's were constantly flushed out. They can't avoid edge pressure because the DT's are penetrating our horrible interior line. I would take two starting Guards in the first 3 rounds. This offense cannot be successful without running the ball.

+1

I am pounding the table in agreement.

Look at ALL the playoff teams that went deep into the playoffs. At least one great guard on each team.

Gotta get that locked down, IMO. Hence why I want this organization to draft Warmack. Just put him at LG, and build around him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

I am pounding the table in agreement.

Look at ALL the playoff teams that went deep into the playoffs. At least one great guard on each team.

Gotta get that locked down, IMO. Hence why I want this organization to draft Warmack. Just put him at LG, and build around him.

Have the Cards in AZ ever had great guard? There is Leonard Davis (kinda) and then no one. Same for center. And thanks for the short paragraphs!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan are my two favorite 3-4 OLBs in the draft, but I just don't see them translating into the wins that this team needs. Improving the offense should be priority 1, 2 & 3.

An OLB will have more of an impact than an OG. Great Rush OLB's are MUCH harder to get than great guards.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
An OLB will have more of an impact than an OG. Great Rush OLB's are MUCH harder to get than great guards.

Sure they do, but when you have as poor of an offense as we have, you are afforded the luxury of being able to draft the OLB. Look at the Atlanta game last year. That is what we are competing against. A team that is so poor on offense that even given multiple turnovers, they can't put a team away. At some point we have to stop trying to do the "right" thing and start doing the "best" thing for this team. The "best" thing for this team is to improve the infastructure of this offense by adding difference makers that support but do not depend on the QB.

As much as I liek Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan, neither do anything to support the young QB we will be drafting either this year or next.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure they do, but when you have as poor of an offense as we have, you are afforded the luxury of being able to draft the OLB. Look at the Atlanta game last year. That is what we are competing against. A team that is so poor on offense that even given multiple turnovers, they can't put a team away. At some point we have to stop trying to do the "right" thing and start doing the "best" thing for this team. The "best" thing for this team is to improve the infastructure of this offense by adding difference makers that support but do not depend on the QB.

As much as I liek Jarvis Jones and Dion Jordan, neither do anything to support the young QB we will be drafting either this year or next.
Drafting an OLB and improving the league's worst offense not mutually exclusive.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have the Cards in AZ ever had great guard? There is Leonard Davis (kinda) and then no one. Same for center. And thanks for the short paragraphs!
Conrad Dobler. Ken Gray. Irv Goodie. Bob Young. Tom Banks. Tom Brahaney.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's no secret that one of the main reasons the Cards have struggled in Arizona is that their move to the Valley coincided with the start of free agency which they have never handled very well. Let their own good players go because they didn't want to pay them what another team would or because of animosity derived from negations and then paid too much for the free agents they brought in.

The Cards get Gary Hogeboom. The Cowboys get Jay Novacek. The Redskins get Ken Harvey the Cards get Gary Clark.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake