Sporting News rated Cardinals-

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
When the veteran QB roulette ends and all the starting jobs are gone I guarantee you there will be starters from last year who will be signing to be the back up. It is the natural progression of QBs. Jim Hart did that in Washington at the end of his career.

Having a veteran mentor is good for the young QB. Hart was the mentor for Lomax. That veteran who understands his role as mentor is what would help McCown. He has no veteran QB to talk with and learn from. I do not consider career bench rider King to be the kind of guy to be a mentor

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
When the veteran QB roulette ends and all the starting jobs are gone I guarantee you there will be starters from last year who will be signing to be the back up. It is the natural progression of QBs. Jim Hart did that in Washington at the end of his career.

Having a veteran mentor is good for the young QB. Hart was the mentor for Lomax. That veteran who understands his role as mentor is what would help McCown. He has no veteran QB to talk with and learn from. I do not consider career bench rider King to be the kind of guy to be a mentor

This is another myth young QBs are coached by the QB coach, the OC and the HC they do not need another "coach" in a veteran QB.

Again DG wants a team solidified and he doesn't want to wait on what leftover QBs are left over - especially one who the fans and media will want to be a starter should Josh falter even a little bit.

As for King he is not a career bench rider he is a QB who lead his team to a NFC final which was lost on a bad ref's call!

DG wants as his number 2 guy a a guy young enough to take over if Josh fails not be a one year back up.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
When King left TB how many games had it been since he had started? He is not a starter caliber QB. TB was a team begging for somebody to step up and play. If King had shown a glimmer of being a starter they would have jumped all over him.

McCown has a lot to learn. Who is he going to learn it from if there is not a veteran there to help him avoid making the mistakes veterans have learned to not make.

As for the impossibility to predict the rise of a perennial door mat like the Saints or Bucanners or now the Cardinals I give you the Rams as a perfect case of this. Late summer 99 I was in St. Louis and the number of PSLs that were up for sale was uncountable. That was a city really down on the Rams. If you had said to their fans they would be in the Super Bowl they would have laughed at you or asked what you smoked. When and if the Cardinals rise from the ashes it will come as a complete surprise. That said after analyzing the facts this is not the year for that to occur. Too many major holes and players not playing to their potential. Last in points scored. Last in points allowed. Teams that rebound from being bad dont have to rebuild both offense and defense in one year. They have one unit that is decent. I will be watching someday when they do rebound. Hopefully 05 or 06. Until then it will be times that try Cardinal fans souls.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
When King left TB how many games had it been since he had started? He is not a starter caliber QB. TB was a team begging for somebody to step up and play. If King had shown a glimmer of being a starter they would have jumped all over him.

McCown has a lot to learn. Who is he going to learn it from if there is not a veteran there to help him avoid making the mistakes veterans have learned to not make.

As for the impossibility to predict the rise of a perennial door mat like the Saints or Bucanners or now the Cardinals I give you the Rams as a perfect case of this. Late summer 99 I was in St. Louis and the number of PSLs that were up for sale was uncountable. That was a city really down on the Rams. If you had said to their fans they would be in the Super Bowl they would have laughed at you or asked what you smoked. When and if the Cardinals rise from the ashes it will come as a complete surprise. That said after analyzing the facts this is not the year for that to occur. Too many major holes and players not playing to their potential. Last in points scored. Last in points allowed. Teams that rebound from being bad dont have to rebuild both offense and defense in one year. They have one unit that is decent. I will be watching someday when they do rebound. Hopefully 05 or 06. Until then it will be times that try Cardinal fans souls.

1. King has more of a background of NFL success then Bulger, Warner, Fiedler, or Josh for that matter.

2. Who will teach the QB? The QB coach. The offensive quality control coach. The head coach (a master of NFL QBing). The offensive coordinator.

3. Yeah but surprises do happen. You don't know when a team will explode. Of course the Cards are not likely but that is why its a surprise.
I agree rebuilding offense and defense makes it hard. Let's see what happens though since the coaching staff is different and some of the players are different and the playcalling and training will be different from last year.
You are right 05 06 are much more likely to be good years for the Cards then next year. I agree. At the same time I can see a foundation being laid for that future success and with a bit of good luck we might see dividends this year in terms of improvement. We'll see how improved they are. I do not agree with those saying 9 or 10 wins but 3 wins seems a bit too harsh!