SportingNews.com

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
Re: The Issue is Trestman/Not Jake

Originally posted by JeffGollin
I was only using Plummer as an example to point out that Trestman certainly didn't look like a Top 5 OC when he was with us, and that I don't think he's anywhere close to that now.
exactly, $hit i could be a top 5 oc in that system and w/ that talent its not that dam hard to coach a bunch of vets who understand the game and are all team players not to mention a hand full of future hall of famers (mainly brown & rice)
but in regards to jake, i like him and have always loved his potential and his shakey career imo is about 30% his fault for not striving to be a better qb and learn the system trestman was running and then 70% of the blame go's to trestman and the rest of the offensive staff for not installing a system that your starting QB who was given ridiculous contract and was branded as our future could run.
i hate to say it but do you think jake would be branded w/ the label of possible lost cause if he was coached up by mooch in the systems he runs?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex I'm not certain either I understand you or vice versa.

What drives me nuts is not the Broncos fans/home boys pumping up Jake. It's them dumping on us saying how Jake's only problem was that he was playing for the Cardinals.

This is despite apparent problems in practice in Denver.

This is what I am sick of and will be quite happy to sa "We told you so". Unfortunatly that will mean Jake is failing in Denver which is not on my list of things I want for Xmas (except it will piss the Broncos fans)

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
AZCB34- I would consider someone a Jake hater if they tell another poster that they should go join the Broncos board, when a simple quote from Jake was used to illustrate how Trestman used his game plan when he was here, then in the next post, goes into a diatribe on how Jeff Blake will make us "all remember what it would be like to have a quarterback play effectively."

I was talking about Trestman, you brought up Jake.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lex
AZCB34- I would consider someone a Jake hater if they tell another poster that they should go join the Broncos board, when a simple quote from Jake was used to illustrate how Trestman used his game plan when he was here, then in the next post, goes into a diatribe on how Jeff Blake will make us "all remember what it would be like to have a quarterback play effectively."

I was talking about Trestman, you brought up Jake.

First of all, the Broncos thing was to have you go check them out not leave the Cards board. Jeez, sensitive aren't we today?

Second, did Jake play effectively while here or was I watching a great QB? Something was wrong here...doesn;t matter what any longer because things have changed. I want Blake to play more effectively than Jake did. You don't?

You cannot bring up Trestman in a conversation of the Cards without bringing up Jake...and AGAIN I placed blamed equally in both camps for that marriage ending.

Whatever. I am done. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depending on how he fits within a given coaching scheme, the job description for an OC figures to center on -

- Designing the right plays.

- Dialing up the right plays.

- "Having answers" (Adjusting to exploit opponents' strategies/weaknesses)

- Getting offensive players to execute the plays.

How good was Trestman at (a) designing plays, (b) making the right play-calls in various situations, (c) making the necessary adjustments during the game and (d) getting players to execute in bang-bang fashion?

It's hard to "really know" unless you can compare playbooks, drills etc. of various OC's from Jamieson forward. But speaking as one person, I had high expectations for Trestman; but felt his playcalling was unimaginative and the execution "less than crisp."

A lot of this game is psychology - and I detected a note of futility in his playcalling when we were behind in the 2H (instead of the can-do attitude - "They're killing us; but here's some changes we can make that are guaranteed to get us rolling.")

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05