Sprewell likely to sign with Den.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eric is certainly right. There are a lot of questions marks. The sad truth is that the Suns could be a better team and still not win as many games or get as far into the playoffs.

Last season had an almost magical feel to it and the rest of the NBA had not really adjusted to the Suns tempo nor the extensive use of the three. This season the Suns will not be shocking anyone. But I think overall they will be better because they have the potential of playing solid defense for most of the game.

Will they actually play defense? Hard to say, but it will determine whether they win in the 50's or the 60's.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So did last year's team.

Of course. What's your point? Are you saying that if you win the lottery once, that proves you can win it again?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There is the reason why I secretly, actually openly, dream about a Marion for Pierce trade.

I was very gung-ho on Pierce a year or so ago, but his erratic, disengaged performance last season has really cooled me off. There's only so much that can be blamed on poor atmosphere.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
There is the reason why I secretly, actually openly, dream about a Marion for Pierce trade.

I was very gung-ho on Pierce a year or so ago, but his erratic, disengaged performance last season has really cooled me off. There's only so much that can be blamed on poor atmosphere.

I agree. He may be another Vince Carter who is reborn on another team, but I've read too many stories about his erratic behavior.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the theme of this thread.

Am I the only one who sees that the mix of Spree, Carmelo, KMart, and Camby is a bad idea?

Nothing like having Spree to mentor your young studs. I am sure that he is exactly what Carmelo needs to start flying right.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Am I the only one who sees that the mix of Spree, Carmelo, KMart, and Camby is a bad idea?

Nothing like having Spree to mentor your young studs. I am sure that he is exactly what Carmelo needs to start flying right.

you are not alone. I haven't checked on Latrell Sprewell's durability over the last several years, but that also seems like a group that is ripe for injury problems.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
So did last year's team.

Of course. What's your point? Are you saying that if you win the lottery once, that proves you can win it again?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. My point was that a great season is still possible because our "predictions" don't mean too much. An opinion I believe you agree with...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My point was that a great season is still possible because our "predictions" don't mean too much. An opinion I believe you agree with...

Oh, definitely. But my point is that it's not fair to slam people who have reservations. Things might go well, but they might not, and anyone following the team carefully has legitimate reasons to be concerned.

I guess that's why they play the games.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I see the Jailblazers getting a run for their money in the most-thuglike-team contest.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The doom and gloom stuff is more than reservations. IMHO it involves vastly overtating the value of Q's contribution and fails to deal with the flaws in Hunter's game.

Are there question marks? Certainly. If Murphy's Law hits and everything that can go wrong does, things could be difficult. But that goes for every other team. Here is my list of question marks:

1. Will the Suns remain healthy with more older players?

2. Will the combination of Barbosa and Diaw prove to be adequate as backup point guards?

3. Will going big and removing the extra three point shooter reduce the impact of the Suns "spread the floor" style"?

4. Will losing JJ's ability to make his own shot hurt the Sun's half court game?

5. Will losing Hunter's length and shot blocking hurt the Suns ability to deal with really long guys like Garnett?

It is reasonable to wonder whether these questions to be answered. IMHO it is not reasonable to believe the Suns will be worse off without Q clanking bricks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
My point was that a great season is still possible because our "predictions" don't mean too much. An opinion I believe you agree with...

Oh, definitely. But my point is that it's not fair to slam people who have reservations. Things might go well, but they might not, and anyone following the team carefully has legitimate reasons to be concerned.

I guess that's why they play the games.

I didn't realize my post was slamming anyone. My apologies.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I didn't realize my post was slamming anyone. My apologies.

No, I was referring to others.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
The doom and gloom stuff is more than reservations. IMHO it involves vastly overtating the value of Q's contribution and fails to deal with the flaws in Hunter's game. My sentiment on Q is well documented and I am glad that you have come out in agreement, he was way overvalued by many. Hunter was limited in offensive and mental ability, we have added stronger and smarter players who will come off the bench now, how can that not be an improvement.

Are there question marks? Certainly. If Murphy's Law hits and everything that can go wrong does, things could be difficult. But that goes for every other team. Here is my list of question marks:

1. Will the Suns remain healthy with more older players?
We had a very young team last year that played a lot of minutes. Now we have a deeper team a can rest several guys. It was the nature of the offense that even when they had big leads they could not put in the reserves to close out the game. I think they will have a lot more confidence in their bench because they are older players.

2. Will the combination of Barbosa and Diaw prove to be adequate as backup point guards?
I agree this will need to be addressed sometime during the season.

3. Will going big and removing the extra three point shooter reduce the impact of the Suns "spread the floor" style"?
Only if teams double or triple team our "point center".

4. Will losing JJ's ability to make his own shot hurt the Sun's half court game?
JJ ability to create his own shot was more noticeable when he was in the game as PG.

5. Will losing Hunter's length and shot blocking hurt the Suns ability to deal with really long guys like Garnett?
I think you will see more matchups between Garnett and Duncan being guarded by Amare if he really steps up his defense.

It is reasonable to wonder whether these questions to be answered. IMHO it is not reasonable to believe the Suns will be worse off without Q clanking bricks.

I definitely will not miss Q clanking bricks but I do see the Suns settling for high percentage mid range jumpers, that is not a bad thing. I think you can still have an up tempo game shooting mid range shots.