Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs commit no fouls???

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh wells, we couldn't contain our paint all night. Nice offensive output, Shannon Brown probably ESPN. Gortat had himself a nice all around game too. This team can play. Fropez, Morris, Redd, and Hill would have been nice.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't believe I wasted my time watching this crap. Suns don't deserve to make the playoffs.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So you guys still think Dudley should start over Brown?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim Duncan trying to give Channing Frye a pep talk after the game.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have a deep team BUT no star to finish games and score on demand.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
Boris Diaw: +14

It seems like he made the difference for them. Every time he was in the game, good things happened for the Spurs. I can't believe we let them get him.

Also, Gentry waited way too long to put Nash back in.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
The Spurs commit no fouls???

This is the NBA, and unfortunately for "guys" like Gortat, Morris, etc., you largely make your own luck. Even if you just go by the letter of the rule book, the call is going to go to the aggressor, because he's usually the guy who dictates the tempo and physicality of the game. That's why I can't stand watching Boris Diaw play, and it's why it is repulsive to watch Diaw get position on the Suns' bigs.

The first time this idea really set in for me was in the 2010 playoffs when we swept the Spurs and played the Lakers to a competitive 6-game series. Because we had players like Jared Dudley, Grant Hill, and even Lou Admundson, the Suns were getting away with the same type of "blatant" fouls that the Spurs have gotten away with for over a decade now. When a team comes out and shows that going to defend with their feet, beat the offensive player to a spot, and then get up in the dude's grill without fouling, it establishes the expectation in the referees' minds that this team is playing tough, physical basketball. And once that perception is fomented in the refs' minds, it changes the way they see some physical plays, and they give the benefit of the doubt to the team that has established itself as the aggressor.

I'm not saying the refs called a perfect game tonight or that they ever do; but if your center consistently avoids the rim as if it's made of barbed wire and would rather prance away from contact and throw up a swooping lefty finger roll because he's afraid of bumping bodies with Eva Langoria's ex, then you shouldn't expect the refs to call the game in your team's favor.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the NBA, and unfortunately for "guys" like Gortat, Morris, etc., you largely make your own luck. Even if you just go by the letter of the rule book, the call is going to go to the aggressor, because he's usually the guy who dictates the tempo and physicality of the game. That's why I can't stand watching Boris Diaw play, and it's why it is repulsive to watch Diaw get position on the Suns' bigs.

The first time this idea really set in for me was in the 2010 playoffs when we swept the Spurs and played the Lakers to a competitive 6-game series. Because we had players like Jared Dudley, Grant Hill, and even Lou Admundson, the Suns were getting away with the same type of "blatant" fouls that the Spurs have gotten away with for over a decade now. When a team comes out and shows that going to defend with their feet, beat the offensive player to a spot, and then get up in the dude's grill without fouling, it establishes the expectation in the referees' minds that this team is playing tough, physical basketball. And once that perception is fomented in the refs' minds, it changes the way they see some physical plays, and they give the benefit of the doubt to the team that has established itself as the aggressor.

I'm not saying the refs called a perfect game tonight or that they ever do; but if your center consistently avoids the rim as if it's made of barbed wire and would rather prance away from contact and throw up a swooping lefty finger roll because he's afraid of bumping bodies with Eva Langoria's ex, then you shouldn't expect the refs to call the game in your team's favor.

Good stuff. We didn't bring it defensively and if we didn't have the hot shooters going to compliment Nash and Gortat it would have been over early. If Morris isn't doing his thing on offense, he should defend the paint with authority. Gortat tried to hang with Duncan but a lot of Duncan's points came after Gortat rolled to help. Pops was disecting us at will, and they wait till the end to bring it everytime. Bench coming in the fourth tried to stay afloat, but no bueno like Jay Leno. Aggressive is how our comeback has evolved, needed more of that tonight. Rebounds and boxing out, second chance points we gave up... gotta whoop them Clippers or the boo birds will post away.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frye isn't even looking for the shot, really wierd.
Shannon Brown was smothered and covered like some hash browns at Waffle House. Frye gets the ball at the top of the key, open all day, looks over at Shannon and waits for him to get seperation, Brown got fouled on the 3 and was bailed out but come on man. Frye Guy went clutch mode for a stretch last year, if Shannon is hot, Frye should be thinking he himself will have some open looks. Top of the key wide open is money. Drop them daggers, take the shot, WTF Frye?

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Not a bad game but the Spurs' D could have been better in the first half. We missed our toughest player Captain Jack. Agree with Budden that your bigs played too soft. When Bonner gets an offensive rebound and a SF steals rebounds from your C then you have a problem. Now Neal with it and get to the playoffs.