STAT calls Spurs "dirty"

chickenhead

Reaction score
Amare's got his back to Bowen, who has no chance to make a play. If Bowen makes that contact with his hands its a foul, but they're not watching his feet.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting rebuttal...here is mine.

Quite simply, this is third grade level of thinking. Sorry holmes, I don't care how much they win, it has nothing to do with my distain for them. The Pistons have won a lot in recent years, I don't hate them, heck, I don't even hate or even dislike the Mavs (though I do dislike Dallas as a city, but thats another story).

The Pistons have won 1 title in recent years and while I agree that they do win a lot of games, they don't stand in your team's way perenially like the Spurs do. At least not until the finals should both teams make it.

Dallas has stopped you how many times in recent history? Once. How many times has San Antonio stopped Phoenix in the Duncan era? 3 Times out of 4, with the lone Phoenix victory (2000) being the year that Duncan was injured and didn't play 1 minute in the playoffs.

Most Suns fans, and fans around the NBA hate the Spurs for the reasons they claim to hate the Spurs, because they don't play the game the right way.
What is the right way? Care to elaborate?

The Spurs share the ball, they commit to defense, they help their teammates, the make the pass that leads to the pass that becomes the assist. And becaue they do that, they simply WIN. I'm sure some NBA fans remember Paul Westhead's high-octane offense. His Denver teams back then even outscored yours of today. They didn't win crapola. They gave up more points than they scored. It's always been about WINNING. Unlike individual scoring title, there isn't one handed to a team.

Flashy, yes, but until it results in a championship...that's all it is. Substance is championships of which the Spurs have 3.

In case you didn't know, since Tim Duncan became a Spur, the Spurs are the winningest organization in all of North American Professional Sports. San Antonio has a higher winning percentage than the Yankees, the Red Wings, & the Patriots(The leaders in the other sports)

That is about as "the right way" you can make it. Pop patterned his organization the same way that Jerry Sloan does it for Utah. Character looms large in San Antonio, you won't see any names in a police blotter nor (other than Tony Parker and his famous fiancee') will you see the Spurs going Hollywood or Madison Avenue. They choose to do it that way. Their choice, and I applaud that the same way, I appreciated Tony Gwynn for all those base hits without large HR numbers and the way that I appreciate LaDanian Tomlinson now for his low-key approach to the public here in San Diego even though he is the world's greatest athlete.

They are dirty, they are borderline cheaters, and furthermore they are about as much fun to watch as watching paint dry.
Again, are we talking about flash...or substance?

When everyone says "I hate the Spurs because they are dirty and try to hurt people",
Are they really? Did someone single out Tim Duncan? How about Tony Parker? How about Michael Finley, or Brent Barry, or Robert Horry? While I grant levity to what you say about Bruce, I make no bones about the fact the I like the way that he plays physical defense. I remember a time in the NBA when defense was rugged and appreciated. I used to live in Phoenix for time to attend school. I saw a few games at the Ol' Vet, and say Jeff Hornacek and even Georgi Glouchkov. If you're wondering who started the Euro influx, it's your team that you have to thank for the internationalization of NBA hoops. Of which the Spurs have benefitted greatly.

why do you have to think its some sort of conspiracy to hide their real emotions?

I just think that it's too easy to say the Spurs play dirty just because they hang their hat on the defensive side of the ball. At times, it ain't pretty, but no said that you had to be pretty to win the title. There is a reason why "Running" teams have yet to win a title. If you're talking "Showtime" Lakers, remember that they had a balanced attack, in which Magic recognized that if he had an advantage, he would run out and use the finishing strength that was James Worthy, Michael Cooper, et al. But if he didn't, he would set up half-court and use Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Spurs do the same thing at times, but because they would rather set up half-court for most of the set...people call that boring? I call it EFFICIENT.

Look, I congratulate the Spurs on their 2 1/2 NBA titles,
Nice dig...your team played the same amount of games in the regular season, and had they played well in that years playoffs and won the whole enchilada...you would count it as a title. Not 1/2 of one. Look for the asterisk in the NBA register(YOU WON'T FIND ONE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST) :)

I hope the Suns one day can hang banners in their gym, but I sure hope they never have to stoop to the level of thugs like Bruce Bowen.
Considering that Bruce and Raja hang out every year to work on their "brand of defense" at Raja's off-season home in Miami, I'm sure that people will make comparisons.

Little background history about Raja. He is from the US Virgin Islands. Spurs gave him his first chance in the NBA. Signed him to a summer league contract and he was the final cut that season. Pop made a phone call to his best friend Larry Brown and Raja got signed by Philly where he showed his growing skills as a Sixer against the Lakers in that 2001 Final.

Yeah the Spurs are DIRTY? Whatever. What they are is tough. And until Phoenix can break through and win a title, then flash mean little in the playoffs.

I'm not at all worried about getting Manu 'revved up,' especially w/ Bell guarding him.
I don't expect either player to back off, in fact, that is what makes the matchup exciting. I expect both to get little victories but realize that TEAM is what makes it work. If Manu can help his team garner another victory despite having low stats. He'll take that. He relishes that even more that lighting up the stat sheet but taking the loss. That is what makes him the best competitor that Pop has ever known.

Oh and this guy talking impartial?
Here's an opinion from an impartial point of view. I'm actually a Mavs fan..
Island Guy...I know how you think," The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I've been on message boards attempting to talk hoops to those that wanted actual and hopefully, constructive dialogue. Some one asked me, "Why do you write what you write on other team's boards?"

I replied,"Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer."

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought you'd like to know what the NBA thought of Amare's claim

Bowen 'kick' not under review

by: Marc Stein
posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs

Checked with the league office Friday to get their position on the latest "dirty" claim against Bruce Bowen.

The claim, in this instance, has been dismissed.

No matter how much debate this generates in the media, Bowen is not under review for what Amare Stoudemire contends was an intentional kick to the back of his leg on a fourth-quarter dunk in Tuesday night's Game 2.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Bowen 'kick' not under review

by: Marc Stein
posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs

Checked with the league office Friday to get their position on the latest "dirty" claim against Bruce Bowen.

The claim, in this instance, has been dismissed.

No matter how much debate this generates in the media, Bowen is not under review for what Amare Stoudemire contends was an intentional kick to the back of his leg on a fourth-quarter dunk in Tuesday night's Game 2.
Its preposterous! It was as clear an intentional swipe as any. That's why this bum keeps doing what he does.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
For as much publicity as Amare' tried to get to show Bowen in a negative light...

the league looks upon Bruce's style of defense as acceptable. He has in all of his years as an ALL-NBA defender, NEVER BEEN SUSPENDED.

He also currently owns the longest active playing streak for games played.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
the league looks upon Bruce's style of defense as acceptable. He has in all of his years as an ALL-NBA defender, NEVER BEEN SUSPENDED.

He has never been suspended, but he has receive a warning from the league about the "foot defense." I think that was way last year, and obviously it was quite effective.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
How come you're not The Man in Black and Silver? Somewhere in Hendersonville, Johnny Cash may not be turning over in his grave but I bet he's getting restless. He was a Suns fan :)

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
I've been the MIB since 2000. I remember the days that Johnny Cash had a variety show on TV back in the mid 70's

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very strange that trying to hurt a player is acceptable.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very strange that trying to hurt a player is acceptable.

i dont know how it can be more obvious. this guy gets away with everything. what happens when he finally does end a career?

bowen has no class. his history proceeds him.

amare had the right to call him out like he did.

the league and most nba analysts, they just want to look "the other way".

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I see this the way Dan Bickley wrote about it in his article this morning.

It was a bold move on Amare's part. Whether it works for or against us remains to be seen. It may have been just the kind of bravado Amare's teammates needed to force them to get over their funk at playing in SA.

The Spurs still own us there until we prove otherwise. If Amare gets over-aggressive or chokes up under the sheer weight of backing up his bravado in a more hostile environment than he's ever played in, his public statements will have backfired.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
It's like the pushups thing. It looks interesting while it's being done, but if you don't make the free throws or lose the game, then all you did was expend energy.
Bowen plays hard and has been rewarded time and again for the effort he shows on the court. But calling Ginobili dirty was wrong. An offensive player can attack the rim, if the defensive player wants to get in his way, he can do so at his own peril. An outright kick at the groin shouldn't be tolerated(Although Nash got away with one against the Lakers last series.)
See this player right here attacks the rim. Knee in front. Now if the defender leapt high enough like Stoudamire did, then actual gonad racking could occur.

You must be registered for see images

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is denial a river in Eqypt?

Go visit fan sites of the other teams in the NBA. They all will recount similar issues people have had with the tactics of Bowen and Manu.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's like the pushups thing. It looks interesting while it's being done, but if you don't make the free throws or lose the game, then all you did was expend energy.
Bowen plays hard and has been rewarded time and again for the effort he shows on the court. But calling Ginobili dirty was wrong. An offensive player can attack the rim, if the defensive player wants to get in his way, he can do so at his own peril. An outright kick at the groin shouldn't be tolerated(Although Nash got away with one against the Lakers last series.)
See this player right here attacks the rim. Knee in front. Now if the defender leapt high enough like Stoudamire did, then actual gonad racking could occur.

Yet, you should notice how Amare didn't make contact with his knee forward into the defender. Ginobili could've done the same, but was afraid his shot would get blocked so he put his knee into Amare to clear out space and also caught him in the groin, which he also could've avoided doing and didn't.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Spurs still own us there until we prove otherwise.

How do you figure? We beat them on their floor more often in the past than we did on our home court.

In 2003 we took game 1 in San Antonio, in 2005 we took game 4 in San Antonio or was it game 3?

just do it

Registered
Reaction score

I remember this play, GiFloppi ended up 4 rows deep in the crowd after doing 3 cartwheels and screaming as if it was the end of the world.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns respond well to anger, so if SA wants to play some rough house basketball I think the Suns will respond. Actually if I were SA, the last thing I would want to do is play an angry Suns team.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skkorpion

The Spurs still own us there until we prove otherwise.

How do you figure? We beat them on their floor more often in the past than we did on our home court.

In 2003 we took game 1 in San Antonio, in 2005 we took game 4 in San Antonio or was it game 3?

Just to go over this. In 03-You won 1 game in San Antonio and another one at the then America West. And in 05 you only won Game 4 at the then SBC. That is 2 games won in San Antonio. and with the Game 2 victory this year at home, plus the one won during the Marbury years and that is a total of 4 victories out of the 13 played including this series so far.

Couple that with the fact that your team established themselves as the #2 seed with HCA only to watch it go away with a game loss to the Spurs. So until it's proven otherwise, the Spurs have a bit of ownage factor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple that with the fact that your team established themselves as the #2 seed with HCA only to watch it go away with a game loss to the Spurs. So until it's proven otherwise, the Spurs have a bit of ownage factor.

You do realize the Suns would regain home court advantage if they win just one of the next two games in SA. I wouldn't begin my celebration dance just yet. Also I missed seeing SA in the WCF last year. It seems this other Western Conference team named the Mavericks got in the way.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You do realize the Suns would regain home court advantage if they win just one of the next two games in SA. I wouldn't begin my celebration dance just yet. Also I missed seeing SA in the WCF last year. It seems this other Western Conference team named the Mavericks got in the way.

Mavericks? Gee, I think I remember those guys. Did they make the playoffs this year? :p

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just to go over this. In 03-You won 1 game in San Antonio and another one at the then America West. And in 05 you only won Game 4 at the then SBC. That is 2 games won in San Antonio. and with the Game 2 victory this year at home, plus the one won during the Marbury years and that is a total of 4 victories out of the 13 played including this series so far.

You apparently missed the point, which is that the Suns have been as successful on the road against the Spurs as they have been at home. They haven't done well in either venue, but there's no particular reason for the Suns to fear road games more than home games in this series. And, among elite teams, the Spurs' home-court advantage is below average anyway.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05