Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 16, 2005 12:00 AM

Alex Stepanovich is not the savior.

But does he feel like one?

"A little bit," he said.

The Cardinals hope so. His return means they will have their projected starting center back in the lineup, and likely some much needed stability on the offensive line, when Arizona plays host to the St. Louis Rams Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium.

"No. I don't think we're going to come out and throw for 400 some yards and run for 500," he said. "But I said this before, that I bring something different to the table. I treat this as my unit."

The line hasn't been able to put together a solid outing yet, in preseason or in last week's season-opening loss to the New York Giants. Cardinals coach Dennis Green said Stepanovich, who was out six weeks with a right hand injury, will add familiarity that could help stabilize things.

"It's not just one man (who will make a difference)," Green said. "But we'll play better because we're now more accustomed to things."

Once training camp started in August, centers came and went like a fad. First, Stepanovich hurt his snapping hand during the team's mock game the first Friday of camp. Then backup center Nick Leckey injured his ankle during the first preseason game.

Green then switched backup tackle Adam Haayer to center and Haayer started the second preseason game. But he struggled so much that Green named Bill Conaty, who had signed with the team after Leckey's injury, the starter.

A day after that move, Conaty injured his left triceps, later going on injured reserve. That left Shawn Lynch, whom the Cardinals claimed off waivers from Minnesota in late August. Lynch, a first-year player, had never played a down in the NFL but started and played every snap during the last two preseason games and the first regular season game at Giants Stadium.

The less-than-mediocre play at center was noticeable. The Cardinals didn't have a single carry over three yards, and the Giants pass rush often exploited the middle.

The center position by nature is the leader of the offensive line. None of the centers who have played in a game so far this season have as much experience as Stepanovich, who played every down as a rookie last season.

"(Continuity is) important but it won't be as big a transition," Stepanovich said. "It's not my first year anymore. I'm not as battle tested as some guys are, but I'm used to playing now and I know what I need to do. I know what it's like being young and I know how to help guys out. I practiced with (left guard) Reggie (Wells) and (left tackle) Leonard (Davis) all spring and all last year.

"It's tough when you got a young tailback and two young linemen in there (Wells and rookie guard Elton Brown)."

Quarterback Kurt Warner tries not to worry about anything, not even about the player who lines up in front of him and directs the other players who protect him. But Warner does notice a difference in practice when Stepanovich is instructing the starting offensive line.

"Whoever gets me the ball gets me the ball," Warner said. "But I think there's a comfort level with our guys, knowing him (Stepanovich) before, knowing that he has knowledge and understanding of the offense. I feel a different confidence, a different feel from the guys up front knowing that he's there getting people in the right spot."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0916cards0916.html

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am loving this kid's leadership qualities.

A-Bomb

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Is Leckey going to start at RG when he gets healthy or will Brown still be in there? Anyone know?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we have a great running game on Sunday, Step is going to have made a name for himself not only with our fanbase, but nationally, IMO. People wil look at the turnaround and attribute it to him.

If it's a lasting turn around and we become a decent running offense, it might mean the pro-bowl for him.

I know those are really far-fetched "ifs;" I'm just pointing out the tremendous opportunity Step has at this point in his career.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If we have a great running game on Sunday, Step is going to have made a name for himself not only with our fanbase, but nationally, IMO. People wil look at the turnaround and attribute it to him.

If it's a lasting turn around and we become a decent running offense, it might mean the pro-bowl for him.

I know those are really far-fetched "ifs;" I'm just pointing out the tremendous opportunity Step has at this point in his career.

Only problem with that is he has to rely on four other schmoe's to perform as well. :D

spanky1

Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Is Leckey going to start at RG when he gets healthy or will Brown still be in there? Anyone know?

I seriously doubt it.........Brown will be in there until he falls on his face......and contrary to popular opinion, he wasn't the problem last week.

Leckey is too small (6'3"/295) to stand up to the defenses he'd face at G. He is a backup C through and through.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
I think Leckey is way better than Brown at this point. If you put him and Step side by side, that would be a better combination, IMO. Brown has promise but he is too green. no pun intended.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I think Leckey is way better than Brown at this point. If you put him and Step side by side, that would be a better combination, IMO. Brown has promise but he is too green. no pun intended.

You must be registered for see images

Brown has more career starts (1) than Leckey, and he is a rookie.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lecky just isnt biug enough or strong enough to hold up as an every down guard IMO.

spanky1

Reaction score
duckfallas said:

I wish I knew why you think that Leckey is better than Brown. Let's review this:

a) Leckey is starting his second year and has NOT played in any regular season game...... not even one play. Brown is in his rookie year and has already played in one game. If you were to review last week's tape, Brown was not the weak link on the O-Line....it was Wells, Lynch and Ross that underpreformed. Davis and Brown actually played fairly decent, all things considered.

b) Leckey could be put into action at OG if it were a matter of life/death. But it is not his natural position. He is an OC. More importantly, at 6'3"/295, he is too darn small to stand up against opposing NT's.....way too small.

Please elaborate as to what you have seen to suggest that Leckey is better than Brown.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I am not sure I would agree that success this Sunday will have made Step a household name but I agree wholeheartedly with the other part of your point in that, if the running game suddenly turns around permanently, Stepanovich may be considered for Pro Bowl. Given the state of the OL though, I am not sure it is going to matter at all...especially considering the fact that STL shut SF down completely last Sunday in the run game...and according to the stats, didn't do horrible defensively overall. I didn't see that game but the color analyst for STL was on KDUS yesterday and he really attributed the loss to a well thought out defensive game plan by SF and the fact that STL just never made any big plays whereas SF did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

So you're saying he has to step up?

Hey at least I'm not calling him Steph.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I wish I knew why you think that Leckey is better than Brown. Let's review this:

a) Leckey is starting his second year and has NOT played in any regular season game...... not even one play. Brown is in his rookie year and has already played in one game. If you were to review last week's tape, Brown was not the weak link on the O-Line....it was Wells, Lynch and Ross that underpreformed. Davis and Brown actually played fairly decent, all things considered.

b) Leckey could be put into action at OG if it were a matter of life/death. But it is not his natural position. He is an OC. More importantly, at 6'3"/295, he is too darn small to stand up against opposing NT's.....way too small.

Please elaborate as to what you have seen to suggest that Leckey is better than Brown.

From what I saw of both players in the preseason, I think Leckey is the better player. He has been on an NFL roster for over a year now and it shows. He just looks like he knows what he is doing more than Brown at this point. I think Brown has some nice potential and could start later on, but I don't think he is ready to start just yet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I am not sure I would agree that success this Sunday will have made Step a household name but I agree wholeheartedly with the other part of your point in that, if the running game suddenly turns around permanently, Stepanovich may be considered for Pro Bowl. Given the state of the OL though, I am not sure it is going to matter at all...especially considering the fact that STL shut SF down completely last Sunday in the run game...and according to the stats, didn't do horrible defensively overall. I didn't see that game but the color analyst for STL was on KDUS yesterday and he really attributed the loss to a well thought out defensive game plan by SF and the fact that STL just never made any big plays whereas SF did.

Yeah but SF's OL is beat up right now their starters are hurt and their backups are recovering from injuries. Oh wait, our OL sucks too(-:

The Rams played good run defense but not because they are a good run defense, the 49ers OL is a few weeks away. Jennings is hurt again, Smiley is hurt, Newberry is playing on one leg, Heitmann and Kwame Harris are the strength of that OL right now. I think they'll have a pretty good OL next year I expect Baas to be the C and Snyder and Heitmann the guards, but this year they're not likely to be a very good run team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah but SF's OL is beat up right now their starters are hurt and their backups are recovering from injuries. Oh wait, our OL sucks too(-:

The Rams played good run defense but not because they are a good run defense, the 49ers OL is a few weeks away. Jennings is hurt again, Smiley is hurt, Newberry is playing on one leg, Heitmann and Kwame Harris are the strength of that OL right now. I think they'll have a pretty good OL next year I expect Baas to be the C and Snyder and Heitmann the guards, but this year they're not likely to be a very good run team.

Also, hasn't Barlow been dogging it the last year or so? (Not that our RBs are world-beaters at this point.)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"But I said this before, that I bring something different to the table. I treat this as my unit."
I love this kids confidence. He is only entering his second year and he acts like he has been around for years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I love this kids confidence. He is only entering his second year and he acts like he has been around for years.

That's the part of Step you have to like, he's smart and he's a competitor.

I just wish he were a bit more athletic but that's why he's playing C.

spanky1

Reaction score
duckfallas said:
From what I saw of both players in the preseason, I think Leckey is the better player. He has been on an NFL roster for over a year now and it shows. He just looks like he knows what he is doing more than Brown at this point. I think Brown has some nice potential and could start later on, but I don't think he is ready to start just yet.

Brown was injured for much of the pre-season. He played very sparingly. Plus they don't even play the same position so comparing the two and making such a statement is being bold to be sure. You, of course, are entitled to your opinions.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I am not sure I would agree that success this Sunday will have made Step a household name ...
Yeah, but how many centers relly are? When I say make a name for himself, I don't necessarily mean in a "stardom" type of way. I mean sports writers, when talking about the cards oline or the leagues up and coming centers will ALWAYS mention Steponovich...and maybe our own fans will stop calling him Stepnowski or worse, "Steph." ;)

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Brown was injured for much of the pre-season. He played very sparingly. Plus they don't even play the same position so comparing the two and making such a statement is being bold to be sure. You, of course, are entitled to your opinions.

I could be mistaken, but I think I've heard Green mention that they like Leckey because he can play both C and OG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser