Stern taking the fun out of game

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1205bickley1206.html

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 6, 2006 12:27 AM

The NBA is becoming the new No Fun League. There are dress codes, technical fouls for whining, expensive reprimands for renegade owners.

It is all part of a master plan to take the playground out of the game, softening up the gritty urban feel of professional basketball. Street cred and bling, you're no longer welcome here.

It is a highly ambitious plan, and quite courageous, really. Until you consider David Stern's new balls.

"The only problem I have with it is that it tears my fingers apart," said the Suns' Steve Nash, reigning two-time MVP.

Astonishing, isn't it? If the new behavior and dress codes weren't enough, the NBA has blindsided its players with a new basketball that looks like a Nerf pumpkin. The balls are soft and orange and strangely cushy. They are also part of a new grievance filed by union leader Billy Hunter.

Hunter claims that his players hate the new balls, even though early results show little statistical change from last season. Dallas owner Mark Cuban funded independent studies and discovered that the soft bounces help shooters while the stickiness hinders creative playmakers.

"I think our team is split," said the Suns' Eric Piatkowski, the team's union representative. "Sixty percent don't like it, 40 percent do."

But new revelations have changed the argument considerably. Nets point guard Jason Kidd said the new ball gives him the feeling of multiple paper cuts in his hands. That sounds extreme, but Nash understood completely, saying he suffers from the same problem.

Of course, these are merely two of the best passers in NBA history. They both work the ball furiously while dribbling, whether it's applying heavy spin or delivering creative touch passes. And just like that, the commissioner has gone and handicapped two of the most artful, unselfish players he has in the sport.

"It's awful," Nash said, showing off what appeared to be array of friction burns on his fingers. "It's like an irritant, and you get them right on the part of your hands that you're using the most. And every time you go to shoot it you don't want to use those parts. Sometimes, I even have to tape my fingers in practice."

In the wide view, it is easy to see the reason for great Stern mandate, even with the considerable risks. While benefiting from a wonderful new crop of stars, the game is still dealing with a lingering perception problem - the one that always goes back to the guns and headbands and cornrows. Hunter recently said as much to the New York Daily News:

"The image problem is a subtle way of talking about Black ballplayers and how they appear to the populace," Hunter said. "When we had our last round of negotiations, David told me that he was consulting with one of President Bush's political consultants. The issue was: What they can do to make the game and players more appealing to the red states?"

While Stern's heavy-handed reform is beginning to anger many influential players, it's the same deal with this new basketball. In any other sport, the ball is an object to be thrown, caught, kicked or hit. But a basketball is much different and much more personal. It is more like a brush for the artist - and if you don't believe me, please pop in a tape of Magic Johnson. Or Pistol Pete.

To mess with that relationship is insane.

Officially, the new basketball was developed to correct inconsistencies in the old model. But there are new rumors this new basketball actually came about because the wife of the Rockets' owner is a huge ally for PETA. Seems she's also a friend of Stern's wife. And when the two gals got to talking, well, that rich, leathery old basketball that came from the back of some poor cow was a thing of the past.

"That'd be great," Nash said. "I'd agree with that. But can't they make a better synthetic basketball? One that doesn't cut my fingers? The colleges use a synthetic. It's a good basketball; they could use that. Oh, but then they wouldn't have a new one to sell."

Ah, yes. Capitalism. The brand new Spalding NBA Official Game Basketball retails for just about $100 and is sitting on the shelves for your holiday shopping pleasure. Unlike the old leather ball that served the NBA, you can actually play with this one in your driveway and not worry about the ball enduring a lifetime of premature baldness.

In the end, that is surely why this ridiculous change was made.

"It's selling pretty good, actually," said Jason Stroud, store manager for the Sports Authority sporting goods chain. "I just got another shipment in today. And I haven't had any returns yet."

Cha-ching, and this is where the commissioner and his combative New Deal have dropped the ball.

After all, when you try to take the playground out of the game and then introduce a new basketball just because it'll sell better on the playground, well, there's a word for that on the street, yo: hypocrite.

brady_44

Reaction score
No kidding. I've never liked Stern but he's really messing things up now. I know the new ball sucks, but the overzealous refs and their technical fouls are almost as bad.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I hate the new T rule. Why must the NFL and NBA do everything they can to strip the fun out of the game? I love trash-talk and enzone celebrations....

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stern is still one of the best commissioners in ANY sport EVER.

He blew it with this new ball, and hopefully he'll fix it.

Players initially hated the new dress code, but now love getting all dolled up for the games. Even initially, it was just a few that hated it.

The NBA has one of the best and most progressive collective bargaining agreements in the history of sports and everyone (teams and players) is making lots of money.

Once Stern leaves, chances are 9 out of 10 that the new commissioner will not be as good (unless its JC of course).

mribnik

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the dress code, and I think the new tech rule was a good idea. However, the problem with the tech rule is that it's inconsistent and it does go a tad too far. I have no problem with them being stricter than last year but there has to be a way to allow the players to show some "heat of the moment emotion" as long as it lasts only a moment. The ball idea was a stupid one.

Tim

Reaction score
Stern is a fantastic commish. Everyone makes mistakes and clearly this is one of them. He has admitted that it is a mistake, which is admirable, and I believe he will do the right thing.

Stern is decisive, well spoken, humorous, and a leader. He'd make a great politician. Did anyone see the TNT broadcast on Monday that showed his press conference in Sacramento? It was hilarious; vintage Stern.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with the ball change is that players have gotten used to the new ball now so switching it back right away may not be an option or might cause teams to play poorly while they adjust back. It's almost too late to make the change. Every player should've had the new ball at the end of the season last year and used it during the summer so that they could decide if the ball was good before training camp started.

Edit: Nash actually said as much in an article I just read:

Told that commissioner David Stern has admitted he should have sought more input from players before switching to a new ball, Nash said, “I appreciate his honesty. ... But now I’m used to the ball.

“It would be difficult to switch back.”

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_061206.html

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stern's biggest flaw has been his coverup of poor officiating. He's only made it worse with the new technical policy and there was more proof last night against Sac when nash didn't even make contact, was called for a foul by Violet Palmer, then Steve got a T for questioning the call and then D'Antoni got a T for questioning why a tech was called/complaining about the call. It ended up being a 4pt swing for the Kings (because Martin made the initial shot) courtesy of David Stern.