Stoudemire opts out, becomes free agent

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stoudemire officially exercised the early termination option on his contract today and will become a free agent at midnight. The Suns still hold his bird rights so they can re-sign him for more money and for more years than any other team. However, the Suns can no longer extend his contract, although a new contract with Phoenix would pay him about the same as an extension.

Phoenix Suns All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire exercised the early-termination option on his contract today and will become a free agent tonight with hopes of staying with the only NBA team he has known, Stoudemire's agent Happy Walters said.

After meeting with Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver and coach Alvin Gentry for more than three hours Tuesday night, Walters sent the opt-out letter to Sarver and the league office and informed Sarver of the decision this morning. Stoudemire will become a free agent at 9 p.m., when Walters likely will field calls or hold meetings with other teams who are planning free-agency spending sprees, such as Chicago, Miami, New York, New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers.

Walters said he would continue talks with Sarver this afternoon after making progress on negotiations last night.

"Robert and Alvin have been great and we're still talking," Walters said. "We opted out to see what's out there. Robert and I are trying to find something that makes everyone happy. Amar'e appreciated the meeting and asked a lot of questions about the future and Robert and Alvin had a lot of good answers."

Walters said Stoudemire would not accept anything less than a five-year deal. Any new deal would start at a lower salary than the $17.7 million he opted out of for next season.

Stoudemire and those close to him have said consistently this month that his wish is to remain with the Suns.

When Stoudemire last spoke in Phoenix three weeks ago, he called Phoenix "Plan A" and said, "My loyalty is here with the Phoenix Suns," and that the Suns would have a chance to counter any other team's offer.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...fficially-opts-out-negotiations-continue.html

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what Walters will say when NY offers Amar'e a 5 year contract starting at 11.5 million, as NY just recently hatched a "clever" plan to split their cap space equally among three players.

I'd be okay with giving Amar'e the max as long as the 5th year had a team option.

I seriously doubt any team will beat our offer. If they do they are desperate and in that case they can have him

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, The Suns stood pat on the # of years and as a result, Amare opted out and is trying to see if he can get more years from another team. It sounds like this is less about the contract dollars per year and more about the # of years.

New York and several other teams will come calling and I guess we will find out. As stated above, will Amare take less money from NY if it means a 5 year deal or will the extra money he can get from the Suns be more important?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's ALL about money.... he is NOT taking less from anyone else! He is all about getting as much as he can and that may be here with the Suns but he had better be careful. The Suns could lower there offer if he goes out and no one is offering what HE THINKS he is worth.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Amar'e is steadfast on that sixth year. I heard ESPN radio saying rumor was other GMs in the league said they wouldn't give him a six year contract either. Not sure how ESPN knows that. Sounds like a fishy rumor to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ALL about money.... he is NOT taking less from anyone else! He is all about getting as much as he can and that may be here with the Suns but he had better be careful. The Suns could lower there offer if he goes out and no one is offering what HE THINKS he is worth.

If it was all about money he would have signed with the Suns already. Nobody can offer him a better combo of years and money.

The fact they are going to field offers will be to see if they can get close to the same amount of money for a longer period of time. The number of years ofcourse is tied to money but seeking an additional year is more about security versus the pure dollar amount.

Nobody including Amare knows how healthy he is going to be by the end of this contract. You get the longest deal possible because your next contract could be for alot less per year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your missing the point DarenG it IS about the money! The Suns AREN't offering him longer than 4 years meaning if he goes somewhere else and gets an extra year he will make much more money and thats what he wants! He won't sign with us unless no one else is offering more than 4 years in that case he will want to stay as he can make the most here if not more than a 4 year deal.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sign and Trade to Nets for Favors + TPE.... because LeBron agreed to sign with Nets because Nets agreed to trade young prospect(s) for impact players.

Joe Johnson then Sign and Trade to Nets also for Harris + filler.

C: Lopez
PF: Stoudemire
SF: James (can play Point forward)
SG: Johnson (can play PG)
PG: T.Williams (can play Point forward and PG)

Wow.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Sign and Trade to Nets for Favors + TPE.... because LeBron agreed to sign with Nets because Nets agreed to trade young prospect(s) for impact players.

Wow.

They only get to use one ball. A dirt worker defensive minded rebounding PF would be a better fit with that group. Maybe Haslem.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amar'e is steadfast on that sixth year. I heard ESPN radio saying rumor was other GMs in the league said they wouldn't give him a six year contract either. Not sure how ESPN knows that. Sounds like a fishy rumor to me.

Why is that fishy? Any GM/Owner that signs Amare Stoudemire to a 6th year (through sign-and-trade) is delusional.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Having 3 of the big 5 free agents would be a waste. Teams that have cleared that kind of money are probably looking to get 2 big names and one or 2 perfect role guys.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I wonder what Walters will say when NY offers Amar'e a 5 year contract starting at 11.5 million, as NY just recently hatched a "clever" plan to split their cap space equally among three players.

I'd be okay with giving Amar'e the max as long as the 5th year had a team option.

I seriously doubt any team will beat our offer. If they do they are desperate and in that case they can have him

So, basically, you just seriously doubted that any team would be desperate despite having so much cap room but without a star playing to show for it.:D That's assuming a lot into the fragile human psyche.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Wow.

You are delulsional here. Nets could trade right to Favor to any bad team for 1-2 future high draft picks to get the cap for that.:mulli:

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
According to ESPN there is enough cap space among the NBA teams to issue 8 max contracts

Miami 2
NY 2
LA 1
Bulls 1
NJ 2

You have 6 max level free agents
Amare
JJ
Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Dirk

Assuming LA passes and doesn't spend that still leaves 7 max contracts for 6 max players. I guarantee one of Miami, Chicago, NY or the Nets is going to offer Amare a 5 year max deal, or at the very least out bid the suns.

I find this whole Dirk thing pretty strange. No one is talking about him but he is clearly the 3rd best FA out there. I can't figure out why he would opt out. I'm sure Cuban has offerd him max money. He could really make things interesting.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
According to ESPN there is enough cap space among the NBA teams to issue 8 max contracts

Miami 2
NY 2
LA 1
Bulls 1
NJ 2

You have 6 max level free agents
Amare
JJ
Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Dirk

Assuming LA passes and doesn't spend that still leaves 7 max contracts for 6 max players. I guarantee one of Miami, Chicago, NY or the Nets is going to offer Amare a 5 year max deal, or at the very least out bid the suns.

I find this whole Dirk thing pretty strange. No one is talking about him but he is clearly the 3rd best FA out there. I can't figure out why he would opt out. I'm sure Cuban has offerd him max money. He could really make things interesting.

Nobody believes Dirk wants to go to any other team.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You are delulsional here. Nets could trade right to Favor to any bad team for 1-2 future high draft picks to get the cap for that.:mulli:

You missed the bit where I said, "LeBron demands Nets FO to trade Favors for Stoudemire"?

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Nobody believes Dirk wants to go to any other team.

Yea but why would he opt out? Has there been any reports of Cuban lowballing him? Am I missing some logic here?

I thought it was a foregone conclusion that He would sign a max extension.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ric Bucher reported on ESPN that negotations are improving between Amare and the Suns. Bucher now thinks will Amare will stay....

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If Dirk, JJ, and Lebron all stay put and Bosh goes to Miami with Wade, (which IMO is the most likely scenario) Then Amare is in a really tough spot.

NY, NJ and CHI will all have max contracts to offer but none of them will be championship caliber with the addition of Amare alone.

If This scenario plays out Amare will likely stay put.

cly2tw

Reaction score
You missed the bit where I said, "LeBron demands Nets FO to trade Favors for Stoudemire"?

Sorry, my selective perception mechansim ignored things it considers irrational and absolute non-sense mechanically. ;)
Why would LBJ care about helping Suns specifially, and on the costs of his new team Nets? Amare + 1 lottery pick is better than Amare, unless my basic math skill totally abandoned me.:bang:

Ric Bucher reported on ESPN that negotations are improving between Amare and the Suns. Bucher now thinks will Amare will stay....

For equal money, there is really no reason Amare leaves. Sarver as businessman should know better though whether he wants to offer equal money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Dirk opted out for the same reason Stoudemire did, to ensure getting a ton of money for more than just next year. The difference is that Dallas doesn't really have much of a problem getting him to stay, whereas Phoenix is having a tough time getting Amare to stay.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Dirk opted out for the same reason Stoudemire did, to ensure getting a ton of money for more than just next year. The difference is that Dallas doesn't really have much of a problem getting him to stay, whereas Phoenix is having a tough time getting Amare to stay.

Getting him, Dirk or Amare, to stay? You mean paying him the market price, right?;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your missing the point DarenG it IS about the money! The Suns AREN't offering him longer than 4 years meaning if he goes somewhere else and gets an extra year he will make much more money and thats what he wants! He won't sign with us unless no one else is offering more than 4 years in that case he will want to stay as he can make the most here if not more than a 4 year deal.

First off someone will offer him a free agent 5 year deal. I have no doubt about that. I would have to do the math but where would a 4 year deal here compare to a 5 year free agent deal? Someone do the math for me. lol.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
As the dominos begin to fall someone will get desperate. When the heat gets turned up GM's and owners make bad decisions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05