Stoudemire opts out, becomes free agent

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the dominos begin to fall someone will get desperate. When the heat gets turned up GM's and owners make bad decisions.

Agree with you 100%. It happens every free agent period. Teams that thought they were going to get guy X don't. Then said team panics, overpays and everybody scratches their head.

It's a fact it happens almost every free agent period.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Agree with you 100%. It happens every free agent period. Teams that thought they were going to get guy X don't. Then said team panics, overpays and everybody scratches their head.

It's a fact it happens almost every free agent period.

Hawks are the first 'victim' and just offered the super MAX to JoeJ, who is not really worth it as every Suns fan would say.:D

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I think the whole scenerio of one of the teams panicing may be overstated. The article gives use some real numbers:

1. Suns offer is $80 million over 4 years (it no longer includes the final year of the old contract, so the references to a three year contract are out of date.).

2. Most another team can offer is $96 million over 5 years. The Suns CAN give Amare $104 (or so) for 5 years and $139 over six, but clearly wouldn't except in a sign and trade.

I'm guessing that the Suns have offered Amare $96 over five years WITH a team option for year 5. If I was GM of another team, I'd have to wonder why Amare is so concerned about the extra year unless he feels his health will not last that long. Why isn't he asking for a player option after 3 years?

Back to teams panicing. The Jazz and Thunder are just two examples of a team that got rebuilt using their cap space to take players and draft picks from teams wanting to save moneyl OK, a team, but the principle remains. They may be disappointed, but not to point of nneding to mak a stupid move.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DarenG

First off someone will offer him a free agent 5 year deal. I have no doubt about that. I would have to do the math but where would a 4 year deal here compare to a 5 year free agent deal? Someone do the math for me. lol.

Ok so again its ALL about the MONEY for Amare! Thats what I said are you just solidifying my point? He will leave if someone offers a longer deal because that equals more money....of course he is not going to leave for a longer deal if it pays him less that what the Suns are willing to pay in 4 years that would be stupid...on second thought it is Amare we are talking about here not known for his brain power. lol

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
DarenG

Ok so again its ALL about the MONEY for Amare! Thats what I said are you just solidifying my point? He will leave if someone offers a longer deal because that equals more money....of course he is not going to leave for a longer deal if it pays him less that what the Suns are willing to pay in 4 years that would be stupid...on second thought it is Amare we are talking about here not known for his brain power. lol

If I understand correctly, the Suns are offering $80 mllion over 4 years. The most any other team can offer is $96 Amare's agent has a strong incentive to get the maximum now, rather than gambling that Amare will get a good contract 4 years from now because Happy Walters might now be Amare's agent then.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, the Suns are offering $80 mllion over 4 years. The most any other team can offer is $96 Amare's agent has a strong incentive to get the maximum now, rather than gambling that Amare will get a good contract 4 years from now because Happy Walters might now be Amare's agent then.

My point exactly. All contracts are about money. However, if Amare can secure another year versus getting a different contract for fewer years it is a no brainer. There is not a player in the NBA that wouldn't go for that. To fault Amare for getting one more year under a good contract versus gambling after this contract ends is stupid.

That doesn't mean all he cares about is money. Now if he goes to the worst team in the NBA for a fat contract like Joe did, you would have an argument. I just don't see Amare going to the Nets for instance. If all things being equal Amare chooses the better situation for winning that will only solidify that. We will have to wait and see what he does.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see Amare going to the Nets for instance. If all things being equal Amare chooses the better situation for winning that will only solidify that. We will have to wait and see what he does.

Funny you should mention the Nets. Add Stat and Pierce to that lineup and I think they are immediately contenders. I like their pg/center combo (of the future) a lot better than I like ours.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
Funny you should mention the Nets. Add Stat and Pierce to that lineup and I think they are immediately contenders. I like their pg/center combo (of the future) a lot better than I like ours.

Steve

Not least because Brook is a better version of Robin.:D Amare/Pierce on the current Nets would be dominant in the East unless Bosh/Wade/LBJ all went to the same team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not least because Brook is a better version of Robin.:D Amare/Pierce on the current Nets would be dominant in the East unless Bosh/Wade/LBJ all went to the same team.

I agree and I don't think it's out of the realm of the possible. I could see Paul agreeing to move if the Nets gave him a max length contract. At 32 he's not likely to get that kind of a deal from the Celtics. Robin shows potential but Brook is on his way to becoming perhaps the best center in the game.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I agree and I don't think it's out of the realm of the possible. I could see Paul agreeing to move if the Nets gave him a max length contract. At 32 he's not likely to get that kind of a deal from the Celtics. Robin shows potential but Brook is on his way to becoming perhaps the best center in the game.

Steve

Its not impossible that Robin will catch up to Brook but definitely improbable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Its not impossible that Robin will catch up to Brook but definitely improbable.

Two different players. Robin can be more of a dominant defensive/interior presence, Brook is more of a fluid scorer. Robin may not have the same offensive skills but could arguably be better.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Two different players. Robin can be more of a dominant defensive/interior presence, Brook is more of a fluid scorer. Robin may not have the same offensive skills but could arguably be better.

Brook's defense is very good too. But he might have developed a bit of Amare tendency of avoiding early fouls that makes him appear less aggressive. If Favors proves his potential as a better version of Horford. That frontline is gonna be scary and would be best in the league.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Steve

Pierce could only sign a 4 year deal, I believe, due to the age 36 rule. But given that KG and Ray Allen are almost done. The roster Brook/Amare/Pierce/Williams/Harris with Favors/CLee could be tempting indeed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pierce could only sign a 4 year deal, I believe, due to the age 36 rule. But given that KG and Ray Allen are almost done. The roster Brook/Amare/Pierce/Williams/Harris with Favors/CLee could be tempting indeed.

Yeah, I forgot about the age restriction.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05