Strawberry

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree concerning Strawberry. He wasn't really an exciting prospect at college level either and played for an above average-nothing special NCAA team. He moved well and showed maturity in SL but I have some serious doubts about his pro career.

yup - until he actually gains a roster spot and actually does something on the floor, I'll put as much stock into him as I did Alton Ford, who some people on this board, for reasons beyond me, loved as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup - until he actually gains a roster spot and actually does something on the floor, I'll put as much stock into him as I did Alton Ford, who some people on this board, for reasons beyond me, loved as well.

I agree about Alton Ford. He just didn't show me much. However, when I first saw Ceballos and Hornacek in workouts leading to summer league play (fans used to be able to watch twice daily) I had no doubt in my mind they were NBA caliber players. I also thought Negele Knight had the right stuff but his career was short lived.

Anyway, I think it's possible to spot NBA talent early on, even in workouts, if one gets the chance to see them play. Sadly I have never seen Strawberry or Tucker play but I love finding sleeper type players. Anyway, why not go on the ride. It's fascinating if one of these sleeper type players develop. This is how I really became an avid Suns fan... watching rookie camp.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Alton Ford. He just didn't show me much. However, when I first saw Ceballos and Hornacek in workouts leading to summer league play (fans used to be able to watch twice daily) I had no doubt in my mind they were NBA caliber players. I also thought Negele Knight had the right stuff but his career was short lived.

Anyway, I think it's possible to spot NBA talent early on, even in workouts, if one gets the chance to see them play. Sadly I have never seen Strawberry or Tucker play but I love finding sleeper type players. Anyway, why not go on the ride. It's fascinating if one of these sleeper type players develop. This is how I really became an avid Suns fan... watching rookie camp.

that's understandable. it's just not my thing. I've never been able to spot that kind of thing outside of the NCAA so I don't even bother. I do hope he's a steal, but I wouldn't want to depend anything on it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do hope he's a steal, but I wouldn't want to depend anything on it.

I agree, but that makes watching long shot rookies develop all the more exciting. I imagine it's sort of like rooting for a racehorse which has like 50:1 odds against it, betting on the horse and then watching them win. When a fan develops an attachment to one of these players, then watch them succeed in the NBA, it is so sweet.

I still remember talking to Hornacek in a shopping mall in Phoenix. I just had to tell him when I first knew he could make it in the NBA (he was already an outstanding ball handler and passer). I told him I recognized it when he repeatedly could dribble the ball into a lane full of traffic and not lose control of the ball... and Jeff was not that fast. He reminded me a bit of Chris Mullin with this ability.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Alton Ford never was outstanding at anything. Strawberry might very well be the most impressive player in Vegas so far averaging 20/8 in the last 3 games he started at PG.

If I wasn't a Suns fan, I would certainly not know who Barry Bonds is. I just happen to know who he is because I run across his name by looking for Suns info, ktar, espn.

Lets try how many players I can name (I tortured myself to watch a couple games a while ago). Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa (mainly bc doping), Derek Jeter only because he dated Mariah Carey, Alex Rodriguz(bc of that contract), Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, XY Gonzalez (only bc of asfn) Babe Ruth (bc of some movies), the rest is getting tough. Manny Ramirez, that other famour pitcher of the Yankees right now..

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alton Ford never was outstanding at anything.

didn't stop people from pimping him for some reason.

Strawberry might very well be the most impressive player in Vegas so far averaging 20/8 in the last 3 games he started at PG.

he wouldn't be the first impressive player in Vegas to never do anything in the pros would he? I'm not knocking the kid, he's playing well and I hope he ends up being a huge steal for us. I've just seen people on this board go ga ga too many times over summer league prospects before and they've never even made it through camp.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't stop people from pimping him for some reason.

he wouldn't be the first impressive player in Vegas to never do anything in the pros would he? I'm not knocking the kid, he's playing well and I hope he ends up being a huge steal for us. I've just seen people on this board go ga ga too many times over summer league prospects before and they've never even made it through camp.

I don't remember anybody ever really "pimping" Ford. There were people, like myself, who would have liked to seen him get a little more time and more scoring opportunities, but that had nothing to do with summer league. It's because there was a stretch where he looked like he might be at least a threat in the post.

I can't even remember what season he played, who was the point guard, etc.. I just remember him having a couple good games (in the regular NBA season). I don't remember being terribly upset when he went by the wayside.

I would agree with you regarding strawberry though. I mean it's exciting that he's done anything at all in the summer league as the 59th pick. It's still way too early to count on him to contribute in the NBA.

Joe

Errntknght

Reaction score
slinslin,
Alton Ford never was outstanding at anything.

Thats just not true! Alton was sensational in his ability to run over people on his way to the hoop... if the darn refs weren't so picky about things like that he'd have made his mark in the league. Or at least left marks on lots of other players' bodies. (NB, Eric)

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Speaking of players who looked impressive in the summer league but never really made it at the NBA level, anyone remember Paul McPherson? He played for the Summer Suns in 2000 and looked really good, good enough that he made the Suns roster. But he never got much playing time and I think was traded in the middle of the season. I don't think he played again in the NBA after that year.

mribnik

Reaction score
Speaking of players who looked impressive in the summer league but never really made it at the NBA level, anyone remember Paul McPherson? He played for the Summer Suns in 2000 and looked really good, good enough that he made the Suns roster. But he never got much playing time and I think was traded in the middle of the season. I don't think he played again in the NBA after that year.

I remember him. He scored something like 17 points on Vince Carter in one quarter and then we traded him to Golden State. Always wondered what happened to him.

mribnik

Reaction score
Strawberry had a poor game statistically (10 TO's, shot the ball poorly, did have 7 assists though), but I can't help but get somewhat excited about him. It really looks like they're going to groom him into a point guard, as he played the point the entire time I watched. His dribbling needs work, as does his shot, but he sees the court well and knows where his teammates are. He also appears to play the pick and roll pretty well. He's not perfect, but he was a steal at 59, and I can see why D'Antoni considered him a first round talent.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll take Strawberry over guys like Yuta Tabuse and Joe Crispin. I'll take a young hungry guy like Otis George over Sean Marks and Jumaine Jones as well.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I remember him. He scored something like 17 points on Vince Carter in one quarter and then we traded him to Golden State. Always wondered what happened to him.

He was in some weird Nike 1 on 1 tournament a couple years back. He was crazy athletic but didn't really have much else.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll take Strawberry over guys like Yuta Tabuse and Joe Crispin. I'll take a young hungry guy like Otis George over Sean Marks and Jumaine Jones as well.

I'm still holding out for a veteran big man, but I certainly think Otis has earned a camp invite if nothing else.

My enthusiasm for Strawberry is clearly tempered by the fact that his shooting remains below Suns standards. The one thing that matters is that Strawberry seems to have a real "pass first" mentality, which is rare for guys his size. Most "pass first" guys are liabilities on defense.

BTW, if we are going to talk about summer league guys who are playing pretty well but not likely to make the team, then Hale is a perfect example. Hale has averaged 12.4 ppg on 48.8% shooting and 45% for three. Of course this is due to 2 really good games and two poor ones.

But even if he shot the light outs, I can't see him having the faintest chance of making the regular season roster.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just remember him (Alton Ford) having a couple good games (in the regular NBA season).

That's the difference, not a huge one, though.

Alton Ford had some promising games in the NBA while Strawberry did in SL.

BTW, Ford had some +10PTS, 6-8 REBS games in the second half of the 2001/02 season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't Ford "pre-Amare"? We were desperate for anything that looked anything like a promising big. Just like a mirage in the desert, when you really really want something, you'll see it where it isn't.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
6'9" 275 pounds

In Ford's first year he averaged just under 0.25 rebounds per minute (which is decent), but only 0.17 his second year and barely played. He did even less with the Rockets in his third and last season.

I never got the whole story on Ford, but my guess is that he had a bad case of "slow" and did not work hard enough to get into better condition or improve his skills.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I have never heard about DJ's father but every single average european sportsfan over 35 does know who Yannick Noah is.

Crazy Europeans, would rather watch tennis than baseball....how odd.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the final stats, Strawberry led the league in assists at 6.4 per game. Otis George finished 7th in rebounding at 9.4 rpg

cly2tw

Reaction score
Crazy Europeans, would rather watch tennis than baseball....how odd.

What is exactly baseball anyway? One guy throws a ball, another tries to hit it and everybody else just sits on the bench or stands in the field and watch, right?:D

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Baseball is like cricket, just slightly less boring. At least players run to go somewhere, and games last less than 8 hours. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05