stump mitchel

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
I was watching southern U play last week it was good seeing Stump, he is one guy Who lived and died cardinal red. During an interview all he wanted to talk about was the cardinals the sports anouncer was asking questions about him coaching but everything allways got back to the cardinals he was å guy who allways gave 100%

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I was watching southern U play last week it was good seeing Stump, he is one guy Who lived and died cardinal red. During an interview all he wanted to talk about was the cardinals the sports anouncer was asking questions about him coaching but everything allways got back to the cardinals he was å guy who allways gave 100%

I remember his breakout game he had against the Eagles in the early 80's, he had their number. I used to have a newspaper photo clipping of Stump on the turf after receiving what would essentially turn out to be a career ending injury and kneeling next to him practically in tears was OJ Anderson, with the Giants at the time. Heartbreaking pic, but it showed what a great team mate Stump was as well.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am planning to go see Stump here soon, see if I can get him to watch some film on my son,....maybe get the kid into a Jaguar uniform...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sent an email to Vai Sikahema the other day. Vai is now working as Sports Director for a Station in Philly.

Got a response from one of his assistants saying that Vai still appreciates being remembered by Cardinal fans.

Of course if he really appreciated it he'd have emailed me himself. :D

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Stump coached runningbacks in the NFL (I believe Seattle), would love to see him with the Card's staff...Sikahema? Luv him as a Cardinal return but that guy for some reason got a complete Eagle blood transfusion lol

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stump was one of my earliest favorite players. He was so versatile and never held back on a play. If the current team had the toughness of Stump Mitchell, we'd take this division without a problem.

I always wondered why the Cards didn't bring him in as a RB coach when he left the Seahawks. I'd love to see him back with this organization one day. If Southern keeps playing this way with Stump at the helm, we might get another chance.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
People said Mitchell was not built to hold up as a every down back due to his size, but he proved them wrong...not only was he tough in doing it, he was very productive

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'l never forget the game he had against the Rams during our inaugural season in Phoenix. Best game I've ever seen a RB have in a Cardinals jersey. Dude was sick.

Man... that offense had a lot of talent... Roy Green and J.T. Smith at WR, Stump at RB, Earl Ferrel at FB, Rob Awalt AND Jay Novachek at TE and a very good QB with Lomax. Every single one of those guys was a difference maker.

Makes me sad to compare it to this offense which has... Fitz. And that's pretty much it as far as difference makers on O... maybe Beanie if he ever stays healthy.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i'l never forget the game he had against the Rams during our inaugural season in Phoenix. Best game I've ever seen a RB have in a Cardinals jersey. Dude was sick.

Man... that offense had a lot of talent... Roy Green and J.T. Smith at WR, Stump at RB, Earl Ferrel at FB, Rob Awalt AND Jay Novachek at TE and a very good QB with Lomax. Every single one of those guys was a difference maker.

Makes me sad to compare it to this offense which has... Fitz. And that's pretty much it as far as difference makers on O... maybe Beanie if he ever stays healthy.

I hear you. I was just looking at the 2009 roster and comparing it to what we have now. The drop off in offensive weapons is huge.

Warner,Fitz,Boldin,Breaston,Wells and Hightower vs Kolb,Fitz,Doucet,Roberts,Wells and ASmith/Taylor. Well at least we have weapons at TE for a change.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I was just looking at the 2009 roster and comparing it to what we have now. The drop off in offensive weapons is huge.

Warner,Fitz,Boldin,Breaston,Wells and Hightower vs Kolb,Fitz,Doucet,Roberts,Wells and ASmith/Taylor. Well at least we have weapons at TE for a change.

it's really terrifying.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sent an email to Vai Sikahema the other day. Vai is now working as Sports Director for a Station in Philly.

Got a response from one of his assistants saying that Vai still appreciates being remembered by Cardinal fans.

Vai's been on Channel 10 for years here. I remember his first game, the Hall of Fame game against New England when he ran a punt back for a TD. The guy was a beast return man. Was upset when we let him go. Little known fact, he's Deuce's cousin. He also knocked Jose Canseco out in a celebrity boxing match.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

LOL @ Vai Sikahema "big timing" someone. :D

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Stump was my high school football coach for a few years after his cardinal days(Randy Robbins was too). I didn't play football, but talked to him quite a bit. He is a pretty nice guy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stumper had a lifetime passer rating of 114.6!

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
He had a respectable 4.7 yards per attempt for his career and was 1st in ypa in 1985 (with over 1000 yds).

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I was watching one of those 10 Best/10 Worst shows they have on NFL Net one day and this one I believe was the 10 Worst Uniforms or somethin' like that.

Any who at some point in the show the Cardinals previous Bird logo/decal (the one previous to the one we have now) on the side of their helmet came up.

They cut to Vai Sikahema and he starts talkin' about the years he played for the Cards and how they always referred to their helmet as their "chickenhead." Words to the effect of "that bird decal looked like a chicken instead of a Cardinal." Whenever it was an exchange of downs we would always say go get your chickenhead and get out there."

That's the first I ever heard of the players referring to the old decal as a "chickenhead." I know I am in the minority on this but I liked that decal better than the one we have now.