Suggs still has love for Cards

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Drachir posted this on azcardinals.com and I found it really interesting. I had to post it here:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/0201chinmusic0201.html

Terrell Suggs was all smiles. The Baltimore linebacker and former ASU star was a finalist for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year, and his satisfaction over his first season was so complete that his message to the Cardinals even sounded friendly.

"I wanted to stay home so bad," Suggs said. "I wanted to play for y'all. I wanted to be your rush end, and that's why I gained all that weight. I wanted to bring some heat on the quarterback, which is exactly what you needed. But you did what you had to do."

This tale might not be over.

"They say you play for two, three teams before your career is over," Suggs said. "So maybe I'll get back to Arizona someday."

Lesson: When drafting, always side with production over potential. There's usually a really good reason a guy is a record-breaker in college.
I can't believe he still wants to come here when the Cards basically told him to go screw himself. Then they chose Pace... :?

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Oh by the way, I'm not trying to start another "Why didn't we get Suggs?" thread. I still can't believe the pick, but that's over with.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by schel
Drachir posted this on azcardinals.com and I found it really interesting. I had to post it here:

I can't believe he still wants to come here when the Cards basically told him to go screw himself. Then they chose Pace... :?

I don't remember the Cards telling Suggs to screw himself. They made a choice like everybody else. Will it bite them in the ass? Yes if Suggs continue to produce and Pace doesn't. But its a part of life I guess.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

i'd be happy to have him.

regardless of previous posts I have made. the guy can play. he should be in a 4-3 anyway

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cards blew it.
The Vikes blew it.
Any team that needed a rusher who passed on him - blew it.

This was a no-brainer.
Sometimes teams out smart themselves. Some teams make a lot of bad picks in the draft. They tend to be bad teams.

The Vikes have had 2 bad drafts and they are heading to becoming a bad team once the DG legacy players are gone.

That is why DG needs to make the picks. DG would have taken Suggs.

Yes life is like that. But you can't accept it. To accept mediocrity and failure in drafting and coaching etc and make excuses is the reason teams have empty stadiums and people don't enjoy games.

You bring in people who do make the right choices. Life is really like this some people beat the odds they make more right decisions then wrong decisions. Hire those people and fire the others. The NFL is about winning. Yes no GM will hit on every pick but bring in a guy who hits on more then he misses. Get in a guy who beats life's odds.

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Suggs still has love for Cards

Originally posted by azdad1978
I don't remember the Cards telling Suggs to screw himself. They made a choice like everybody else. Will it bite them in the ass? Yes if Suggs continue to produce and Pace doesn't. But its a part of life I guess.
Obviously not. That was just an exaggeration. We all know Suggs wanted to come here and improve the team though and it was expected he would be chosen. Even Ray Lewis told Suggs, "hey, don't be surprised if we draft you" and Suggs replied, "I won't go that far down in the draft". I found that amusing :)

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Suggs still has love for Cards

Obviously not. That was just an exaggeration. We all know Suggs wanted to come here and improve the team though and it was expected he would be chosen. Even Ray Lewis told Suggs, "hey, don't be surprised if we draft you" and Suggs replied, "I won't go that far down in the draft". I found that amusing :)

Our team gamble. But right now its too early to assess if we made the wrong decision by passing Suggs on last years draft.

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdad1978
true but we love this team anyway so its a moot point. :stupid:
Of course we do. And sadly if you think about it realistically, if we had chosen Suggs, it's very likely we wouldn't have gotten Boldin. If we got Suggs, then we would have looked at a WR, and since Bryant Johnson was our first choice (no other team would have picked him by the 2nd round, believe me :p), we would have passed up on Boldin in the 2nd round and somebody else would have gotten him. So in hindsight it's not so bad. But really, if Graves knew of Boldin's talent, we could have gotten both Suggs and Boldin! :cool: Oh whatever... draft day is coming up soon :)

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think

the passing on him was more about character. I know two of his old coaches and they love him, but, said he'd make "young" mistakes. I also know other kids he played with and hung out with and let's just say the feelings are mixed. i hope everything works out for him. The Cards, however, in the past and most recent future have always shied away from character issues. AZ era.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Suggs was right there for us,unbelievable.We should've drafted Leftwich.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I think that if we did draft Suggs, he would have been just as productive as Pace was for us, do to the fact of him playing DE and out piss poor deensive coaching.. He would not have been a factor at all and maybe 2-3 sacks..

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by DevonCardsFan
Cards are completely ******** for passing Suggs!!! Dumb asses!!!
I'd hold judgment on that just yet. There have been numerous instances in ALL sports where trades or draft choices look lopsided in year 1. Let's give this some time. Pace will be a very good DE both getting to the QB & stuffing the run. Suggs will never be an everydown DE, although he'll make up for that by being a terror with sacks. When everything shakes out, I still would rather have Johnson & Pace instead of Suggs. I KNOW I'm in the minority regarding this. This draft day decision will look better when Johnson breaks out under Green. I watched Johnson at Penn State all 4 years. He started slowly in college also, but came on strongly. I expect him to improve dramatically this year.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Character issues don't matter.
Speed doesn't matter.

The key in the NFL is sacking the QB. You don't take an okay WR instead of a 12 sack man.

And as for what he would have done look at Boldin. Boldin has bad coaching. Boldin had bad QB OL RB WRs... Boldin did it on his own last year cause he is great player.

And Suggs would have done it on his own last year just like Boldin cause he is a great player.

Great players are great players wherever they are! They need to be on your team.

One other point if you pass on GREAT PLAYERS and draft mediocre players that obviously hurts your team BUT it does something else. It helps teams that are better then you! Teams you are trying to catch. If you are passing on great players in the draft to draft mediocre players then those the good teams get better and you will never ever catch up to them.

OP
OP
schel

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
Speed doesn't matter.

The key in the NFL is sacking the QB. You don't take an okay WR instead of a 12 sack man.

And as for what he would have done look at Boldin. Boldin has bad coaching. Boldin had bad QB OL RB WRs... Boldin did it on his own last year cause he is great player.

And Suggs would have done it on his own last year just like Boldin cause he is a great player.

Great players are great players wherever they are! They need to be on your team.

One other point if you pass on GREAT PLAYERS and draft mediocre players that obviously hurts your team BUT it does something else. It helps teams that are better then you! Teams you are trying to catch. If you are passing on great players in the draft to draft mediocre players then those the good teams get better and you will never ever catch up to them.
Character issues are debatable. The Vikings and Green don't seem to believe it matters. Yes, look at Randy Moss. Green wasn't afraid of picking him up and Moss had a ton of problems. That was a good decision (some people might argue it). For Suggs though... he had just one questionable incident I believe. I think that might have been somewhat of an excuse to draft Pace. Maybe instead of picking the obvious choice they thought they could make a "genius pick". Who knows, I don't see what they thinking when they made that pick. It's not like Pace was expecting to go that high...

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
Speed doesn't matter.

I can honestly say Anquan is a great player cause he did it all by himself without the help of another teamate like Suggs did. The way I look at this is Boldin has a great teamate but he's over the hill now ( E. Smith ) and Suggs has a great teamate too ( R. Lewis ). Take out Emmitt and Boldin will still produce but take out Lewis in that defense would Suggs put up the number of sacks? In my opinion no.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
I'd hold judgment on that just yet. There have been numerous instances in ALL sports where trades or draft choices look lopsided in year 1. Let's give this some time. Pace will be a very good DE both getting to the QB & stuffing the run. Suggs will never be an everydown DE, although he'll make up for that by being a terror with sacks. When everything shakes out, I still would rather have Johnson & Pace instead of Suggs. I KNOW I'm in the minority regarding this. This draft day decision will look better when Johnson breaks out under Green. I watched Johnson at Penn State all 4 years. He started slowly in college also, but came on strongly. I expect him to improve dramatically this year.

man i hope you're right 'cuz the 1-sack wonder and no-hands-johnson just don't compare to 12-sack-rookie-suggs right now.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
man i hope you're right 'cuz the 1-sack wonder and no-hands-johnson just don't compare to 12-sack-rookie-suggs right now.

What about Leftwich as well.