Sunday's LA Times

fordronken

Reaction score
Article talked about how the Lakers should start making moves to get under the cap, preparing for the chance to go after Amare Stoudemire or Yao Ming in a couple years. Los Angeles sports writers are incredibly annoying.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Article talked about how the Lakers should start making moves to get under the cap, preparing for the chance to go after Amare Stoudemire or Yao Ming in a couple years. Los Angeles sports writers are incredibly annoying.

The flip side of it is that it says they don't think this team is going anywhere.

I remember a few years ago reports of teams trying to get under the caps so they could go after Garnett. Here is a guy who took a pay cut from $28 million to $16 million to help his team get some more players, yet somehow the myth was out that somebody could afford to get him through free agency. It is all a waste of time.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Both Amare and Yao will be eligible for extentions next year, and I think its safe to assume both will be getting max extention offers. The following year if the turned down the extentions they'd be RFA and again I'm sure both Rockets and Suns would match any offers. So by the time the Lakers have cap space in '07(the Lakers will have 33 mil on the cap with only 2 players under contract), Yao and Amare would have had to turn down max money more than once and been willing to play for rookie money without any guarantee.

So I really doubt either will be joining other teams any time soon.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Established, franchise level players move through free agency once a decade or so. They may move through forced trades, but other than that it is really rare. Second tier guys move more often, but it is not easy to get them. Most free agent moves are third tier and lower players.

Someone like Shaq moves about once a decade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Established, franchise level players move through free agency once a decade or so. They may move through forced trades, but other than that it is really rare. Second tier guys move more often, but it is not easy to get them. Most free agent moves are third tier and lower players.

Someone like Shaq moves about once a decade.
ESPN Sportscenter showed how 5 times MVPs were moved to new teams and their teams eventually won the NBA Championship. By that reasoning, they believe Shaq will bring a championship to Miami. ;)

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Yuma said:
ESPN Sportscenter showed how 5 times MVPs were moved to new teams and their teams eventually won the NBA Championship. By that reasoning, they believe Shaq will bring a championship to Miami. ;)

Like Barkley?

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
he was traded from the Phoenix Suns to the Houston Rockets.

Joe Mama

Of course, Barkley was overweight, past his prime and had questionable work ethic. That's the...difference...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Of course, Barkley was overweight, past his prime and had questionable work ethic. That's the...difference...

that's true. However he was also joining the two-time NBA don't forget that Shaquille O'Neal is also overweight and has a questionable work .

Joe Mama I

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
fordronken said:

Seems the same can be said for Shaq now.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
that's true. However he was also joining the two-time NBA don't forget that Shaquille O'Neal is also overweight and has a questionable work .

Joe Mama I
No, all we know is that he has had foot problems. Hard work has never been an issue. We cant believe the papers all the time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
he was traded from the Phoenix Suns to the Houston Rockets.

Joe Mama

hmmph, how conveniently my selective memory kicks in . . .

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
wsupkid said:
No, all we know is that he has had foot problems. Hard work has never been an issue. We cant believe the papers all the time.

But we can believe our eyes when an Shaq suddenly looks 30 pounds heavier....and it definitely aint mucsle.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
But we can believe our eyes when an Shaq suddenly looks 30 pounds heavier....and it definitely aint mucsle.
I can give you that but the way I see it, it hasnt slowed his productivity down much at all.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
wsupkid said:
I can give you that but the way I see it, it hasnt slowed his productivity down much at all.

Go watch tape of the Lakers first Shaq-Kobe championship. Look at the numbers. Watch him move. He's a completely different player.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Go watch tape of the Lakers first Shaq-Kobe championship. Look at the numbers. Watch him move. He's a completely different player.
He is a different player. But still the most dominate player ever.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
wsupkid said:
He is a different player. But still the most dominate player ever.

Ever's a long time. While he would dominate anyone who came before him, the competition is very different now. Shaq isn't going up against 6'6" centers like Wilt used to. Shaq going for a hundred points is unfathomable. Shaq averaging fifty points would be unfathomable by today's standards. To be most dominant ever, it isn't just you, it's who you're going up against.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
wsupkid said:

In 1999-2000 he averaged 29.7 points, 13.7 rebounds and 3.0 blocks.

Last season he averaged 21.5 points, 11.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05