Suns 2006 draft tryouts

sunsfn

Reaction score

Here are the players the Suns have tried out so far. If someone knows of any others please post it here.
I can not find any info on the Suns site about tryouts? Has anyone seen the names somewhere on there?

In the past few years, the Suns have not drafted anyone they did not try out. They usually bring them in twice if they have plans to draft them. So I will be watching for that as well as new players coming in.

With the amount of guards they have bought in, it would seen that they are going to draft a guard on #21. After that it is anyones guess. This is all figured on them keeping their picks, which they may not do.

You can look up more on these players at http://www.draftexpress.com/
Find them in the upcoming draft or type in their name in the profiles by last name.

Also find them on http://nbadraft.net/index.asp

Salaries for the two picks.
Pick #21 $918,900
Pick #27 $732,400
-------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Horton PG
4/21/1984 (22 Years Old)
6' 2" 198 pounds
Michigan , Senior

Rajon Rondo PG
20 years old; 6' 1"; 175 lbs.
Kentucky,Sophomore

Sergio Rodríguez PG
20 years old; 6' 3"; 170 lbs.
Adecco Estudiantes,International

Jordan Farmar PG
19 years old; 6' 2"; 171 lbs.
UCLA,Sophomore

Guillermo Diaz PG/SG
20 years old; 6' 2"; 186 lbs.
Miami,Junior

Brad Newley SG
6' 6" 198 pounds
2/18/1985 (21 Years Old)
Townsville Crocodiles , International

Thomas Gardner SG -----------------(June 19)
6' 5" 213 pounds
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2/8/1985 (21 Years Old)
Missouri , Junior
[/FONT]
Maurice Ager SG/SF
22 years old; 6' 5"; 202 lbs.
Michigan State,Senior

Hassan Adams SF
21 years old; 6' 4"; 220 lbs.
Arizona,Senior

Shawne Williams SF/PF
20 years old; 6' 9"; 227 lbs.
Memphis,Freshman

Cedric Simmons PF/C
20 years old; 6' 10"; 223 lbs.
N.C. State,Sophomore

Kevin Pittsnogle PF/C ------------(June eighteen)
21 years old; 6' 10"; 259 lbs.
West Virginia,Senior

Tedric Hill PF
6' 9" 235 pounds
12/31/0
Gulf Coast Community College , Senior

Saer Sene C
20 years old; 7' 0"; 237 lbs.
RBC Verviers-Pepinster,International

----------------------------------------------------

Morris Almond, 6' 6" shooting guard is returning to Rice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Where did you see that the Suns tried out Sene? As usual I couldn't find it. I read a blurb on nbadraft.net saying the Suns were so high on him they wanted to package their picks to move up but I didn't see that they actually worked him out. There's been buzz that Utah wants him so maybe they'd have to. As much as I want them to draft him I'm not sure he's worth more than the 21st pick. Even then a PG is a more dire need and it is seems like it's unlikely that Farmar would fall to 27th. Truly it must be an exquisite dilemma for GMs.

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Man maybe I'll find that Hoops Summit and watch it lol I'm just not sure, why the need for a player the Team wouldn't even play much 2 years ago and let go, when they could've had him really cheap (Hunter)...

But maybe I'm still bitter about getting rid of everybody that year, my all-time favorite Team, I did like last year's Team too (as I've been wanting Diaw since pre-Draft) and if Amare comes back healthy, next year's Team COULD be my all-time favorite but who knows who they Trade...

Sene is probably even out of range and that Pick #21 is important IMO, being that around #27 you never know who's going to be there, I have at least 27 Prospects I probably like but Hassan Adams and Taj Gray, are questionable I'm sure in a lot of people's minds...

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
panfolk said:
Where did you see that the Suns tried out Sene? As usual I couldn't find it. I read a blurb on nbadraft.net saying the Suns were so high on him they wanted to package their picks to move up but I didn't see that they actually worked him out. There's been buzz that Utah wants him so maybe they'd have to. As much as I want them to draft him I'm not sure he's worth more than the 21st pick. Even then a PG is a more dire need and it is seems like it's unlikely that Farmar would fall to 27th. Truly it must be an exquisite dilemma for GMs.

On Hoopshype, but be sure and check on past workouts, and they list it under Phoenix. Draftexpress lists them under Suns.

I noticed that hoopshype does not list the ones for the 18th and 19th for Phoenix. They probably miss some.

http://www.hoopshype.com/workouts.htm

Nash

Reaction score
Dang! I checked last evening to see if Phoenix was on James White's list of team workouts and it wasn't. This link just confirmed it. This stinks.

For some reason, I was under the impression that White was being considered by the Suns. I would love for him to be picked up at No. 27. He's super athletic, unselfish, injury-free, long, versatile, excellent on defense and would be a great addition to this team.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
WHo is this guy?
-----------------------------
MONDAY, JUNE 19

Rick Cornett
Phoenix
SF
6-8
Senior
Notre Dame
-
Undrafted

streetshox23

Reaction score
I think that Kevin Pittsnoggle would be a great addition. He can help Amare out and be of good use if Amare does not come back the player he was a few years ago. Jordan Farmar would also be a great addition because he can learn a lot from Nash and carry this team on after Nash retires.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One player I would like for the Suns to tryout is Tony Skinn, Guard, 6'1", George Mason.

I mentioned his name before on this Board but I don't remember any feedback.

He will probably not even get drafted, but I seen him keep George Mason in the Florida game in the first half only to sit on the bench until midway through the second half of the game. I don't know why, because he gave Florida fits with his athleticism and shooting in the first half.

I know he reportedly punched a player (I believe in the private area) during the season so his attitude may be a problem... I'm not sure.

However, he reminded me so much of Earl Boykins or maybe a Robert Pack type player. Skinn' s stats are not overwhelming as he appears to have a SG's mentality, but when he wanted to play defense he was a pest. I also think he has PG skills if he had the mindset to play that position. I think he could be a legitimate NBA PG if he had the motivation as he really has the ability to penetrate.

I only seen him play in the George Mason/Florida game in the playoffs, but only he and Noah made the biggest impression on me. IMO, he may be the primary reason George Mason played so well in the NCAA Tourney.

But then again, I only seen him play one game all year. Anybody follow George Mason out there?

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
One player I would like for the Suns to tryout is Tony Skinn, Guard, 6'1", George Mason.

I mentioned his name before on this Board but I don't remember any feedback.

He will probably not even get drafted, but I seen him keep George Mason in the Florida game in the first half only to sit on the bench until midway through the second half of the game. I don't know why, because he gave Florida fits with his athleticism and shooting in the first half.

I know he reportedly punched a player (I believe in the private area) during the season so his attitude may be a problem... I'm not sure.

However, he reminded me so much of Earl Boykins or maybe a Robert Pack type player. Skinn' s stats are not overwhelming as he appears to have a SG's mentality, but when he wanted to play defense he was a pest. I also think he has PG skills if he had the mindset to play that position. I think he could be a legitimate NBA PG if he had the motivation as he really has the ability to penetrate.

I only seen him play in the George Mason/Florida game in the playoffs, but only he and Noah made the biggest impression on me. IMO, he may be the primary reason George Mason played so well in the NCAA Tourney.

But then again, I only seen him play one game all year. Anybody follow George Mason out there?
Nothing personal but another undersized combo guard? :bang:

I say this but also have to note I'm fairly excited about Y. Halperin after reading up on him and seeing he worked out for the Suns. He sounds like an intelligent and hard working individual and if D'A wanted to get him with the 27 (or trade for an early second rounder) I'd be happy with that. The thing that makes me interested is that he sounds like a smart and highly skilled player that could be Euro-stashed or possibly brought in for use this coming season. First and foremost he sounds more like a big point than a slightly undersized combo guard.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone watch the tryout vid they have on the Suns website? When talking to Griffin you can see Skita and Amare working out in the backround.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Draft content on Suns.com. Some interesting quotes in the video and article. They talk about hidden gems being found since the Suns look for different attributes and have a different system. Also I was happy to see Matt Haryasz come in. I was excited about his face up game and length (which they pretty much say are the useful elements of his game to the Suns) but dissappointed by his terrible draftcamp workout. Who knows maybe he won't get drafted and he'll beat Skita out in the summer leagues :D

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has sound problems with the new vids on suns.com?

At maximum sound output I can't understand anything.

I have to switch from stereo to mono to hear anything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
panfolk said:
Nothing personal but another undersized combo guard? :bang:

I say this but also have to note I'm fairly excited about Y. Halperin after reading up on him and seeing he worked out for the Suns. He sounds like an intelligent and hard working individual and if D'A wanted to get him with the 27 (or trade for an early second rounder) I'd be happy with that. The thing that makes me interested is that he sounds like a smart and highly skilled player that could be Euro-stashed or possibly brought in for use this coming season. First and foremost he sounds more like a big point than a slightly undersized combo guard.

Yes, I know what you mean about undersized combo guards, however, Skinn made an impression on me. He seemed to be able to get wherever he wanted on the court, could shoot and penetrate at will. Now, if he were willing to pass the ball, he would definitely fit the Suns running style. I just didn't see any reason why, talent wise, he could not play in the NBA. He just seemed to throw the Florida team completely out of rhythm in the first half and get in the passing lanes. I definitely would not want him to play as a combo guard.

If he were willing to play PG (perhaps like a Boykins), I would like for the Suns to give him a look. He definitely did not remind me of Eddie House as I don't think PG comes naturally for Eddie. I think Skinn has PG skills but, for whatever reason, has not played this role.

I often look at college basketball players and try to project if they have NBA talent. IMO, if Skinn had the right mental outlook, I most definitely think he could play PG in the NBA.

I'll have to read up on Y. Halperin. :)

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
I had to turn the sound up to hear, but could understand then.

Did anyone understand them to say Collins came in?
Did he mean Mardy Collins? Does anyone know?

They did say Shannon Brown looked good. He is a 6' 3" combo guard.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6'3 tweener raises some red flags for me and he didn't exactly sound intelligent in that interview. I was definately not impressed with his interview.

JonnySuns

Reaction score
hey guys, I'm a new on here today and figured I'd throw in my first post by asking what you fellas think about the talk of swapping our 2 picks for one higher up in the draft? Do you think this is likely and if so, who would we most likely pick?

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
JonnySuns said:
hey guys, I'm a new on here today and figured I'd throw in my first post by asking what you fellas think about the talk of swapping our 2 picks for one higher up in the draft? Do you think this is likely and if so, who would we most likely pick?

I see us moving both our first and maybe James Jones to either Philly or New Orleans and moving ahead of both Chicago and Utah to select Saer Sene 7'1 240 Center from Senegal.

Last edited:

Djaughe

Reaction score
JonnySuns said:

Welcome to ASFN!

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
JonnySuns said:

Welcome to the Board!

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
i'm also new here - i have been doing some reeding here, and i wanted to ask, why nobody here is considering getting Sergio Rodrigues as a back up point ?! i think he would be a lot better fit and player that let's say Farmar !
also - with moving up in the draft - isn't the Sietle's 10th pick also a possibility. I somwhere read that Sietle would want to trade down and the need to improve on their depth and Jones would be pretty good for them, and maybe it would be enough to adding only one of suns first round picks to JJ ?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Welcome to board... I hardly ever talk about a Prospect I've never seen and usually most of the Internationally Prospects, only the NBA Scouts know much about. I've seen Tiago Splitter a million times but he pulled out of Draft... last year I would watch NBATv and there would be some International games on but I haven't seen one at all this year and I can't even find the tape of Hoops Summit (where Sene plays and supposedly plays well)...

There's been a few members here that are high on Sergio though, I'd personally like to know if the guy ever played in a past Hoops Summit or any type of game against Dream Team but I'm not sure if anyone remembers?

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Well - i'm from europe and i don't have an possibility to see a lot of NCAA games not even talking about anything more.

i believe Sergio had or will have workout for Suns ?!

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Yes he worked out with the Suns and is one of 7 Prospects that are the top candidates - that have worked out so far...