Suns 2006 draft tryouts

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Welcome the board, by the way...

I looked at Sergio's Draft profile and he looks familiar, I'll have-to look at the last 3 Hoops Summit Games and see if he played against Americans. I've heard a lot of good things about him.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Suns like 21st pick but are keeping options open
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 20, 2006 12:00 AM
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Eight quartets of draft candidates have visited the Suns, with each player leaving town sure that he is an ideal match for their style. The players even have told other teams that.

The way things stand, only two would be so lucky. Eight days from the draft, Phoenix sits with the 21st and 27th picks and no second-round slot.

The Suns agree that someone at No. 21 could help them, particularly after the playoffs cried out for depth. But the Suns could become draft-day dealers by packaging the picks for one mid-first round choice.

"Everybody goes into the draft trying to get to where their guy is," Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin said. "Having two picks in the same year sometimes helps you move up.

"We don't have anything particularly hot and heavy right now, so we're looking at No. 21 as the pick we're going to use first and we kind of dig it."

Of the visitors so far, the top candidates include Michigan State guard Shannon Brown, Florida State power forward Alexander Johnson, Memphis wing Shawne Williams, Swiss off-guard Thabo Sefolosha, Michigan State wing Maurice Ager, Spanish point guard Sergio Rodriguez and Kentucky point Rajon Rondo.

Thursday's group likely will add Ukrainian power forward Oleksiy Pecherov, raw but tantalizing Senegalese center Saer Sene and Temple 6-foot-6 point Mardy Collins to the list.

"If we can take something off (Steve Nash's) back, that'd be great, but I'm thinking Leandro Barbosa is developing into the player who will do that," coach Mike D'Antoni said.

Brown, trying to show he can play point, wowed the Suns on Monday with his high-rising game. Unlike most teams, the Suns run full-court, two-on-two games. Just when he looked tired, Brown kept scoring on Missouri's Thomas Gardner.

"I like to run, they (the Suns) like to run," Brown said. "I like to shoot, they like to shoot."

Monday's group also had Matt Haryasz, a Stanford graduate as of Sunday. The likely second-rounder showed a good face-up jumper in his first arena visit since Page High School's 2002 state title game loss.

On Saturday, the Suns saw Johnson's consistent shot and passion for dunking.

"I feel being here would really bring me out," he said. "I like to do all the things I see Shawn Marion and Amaré Stoudemire do."

Option status

Pat Burke exercised his $810,000 option to return to the Suns next season. Eddie House ($932,015) and Brian Grant ($1.8 million) have until June 30 to pick up their options. Suns draft options

The Suns pick 21st and 27th in the June 28 draft. They could:

Keep both picks. The guaranteed contracts are not the hit they once were. First-round picks only have two guaranteed years with two team option years. Over the first two seasons, the 21st pick would make a maximum of $2,372,880 while the 27th pick would top out at $1,892,400.

Move up in the draft. The Suns are interested in acquiring a higher pick and might be able to package their choices to do so.

Only trade No. 27. The Suns could get someone they like at No. 21 and trade the No. 27, perhaps for second-round picks.

- Paul Coro
------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------
This sounds good,
[/FONT]Thursday's group likely will add Ukrainian power forward Oleksiy Pecherov, raw but tantalizing Senegalese center Saer Sene and Temple 6-foot-6 point Mardy Collins to the list.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Welcome to board... I hardly ever talk about a Prospect I've never seen and usually most of the Internationally Prospects, only the NBA Scouts know much about. I've seen Tiago Splitter a million times but he pulled out of Draft... last year I would watch NBATv and there would be some International games on but I haven't seen one at all this year and I can't even find the tape of Hoops Summit (where Sene plays and supposedly plays well)...

There's been a few members here that are high on Sergio though, I'd personally like to know if the guy ever played in a past Hoops Summit or any type of game against Dream Team but I'm not sure if anyone remembers?

Heres the Video of Saer Sene

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1358

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Josh Boone and Joel Freeland were in for a workout... most of the article was about Freeland.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They have video on the Suns site from yesterday's workouts. They spent alot of time talking to Tony Parkers brother and Freeland. It was Freeland's first workout and he said he wanted it to be with the Suns because of how they play. He's supposedly pretty quick and has a good shot, but having played for only 3 years he doesn't have many other skills.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Prospect wants to go from bags to riches
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 22, 2006 12:00 AM
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
Here is how 19-year-old Joel Freeland wound up on the Suns practice court Wednesday as a potential first-round pick for next week's NBA draft.

Freeland, who is 6 feet 11, started playing basketball three years ago at the urging of his physical education teacher.

Six months later, he was on an English pro team.

Last year, Freeland quit his $5 per hour job bagging groceries and left a nation that had required him to pay his way to play for England in the European Championships. He played in Spain's fourth division and progressed rapidly.

"I saw him during the season (and) it was, 'OK, good form, good athlete,' " said Marco Crespi, Suns international scouting director. "He improved a lot in the last three months. At Eurocamp last week (in Italy), he impressed everybody."

For him to wind up with the Suns, Phoenix would have to trade into the second round or use its 27th pick (the Suns also have No. 21) and stow him on a European team to save the guaranteed deal's two-year, $1.9 million hit. Regardless, it's an amazing tale.

"My first ever shot was at the three-point line and went over the backboard," said Freeland, a former soccer player. "I said, 'I've got to work at this.' "

As his friends turned to drugs and drinking, he went to the court and never left until his coach told him last year that he had a shot at the NBA this year.

"I couldn't believe it," Freeland said.

He worked out Wednesday with Connecticut's Josh Boone, who also could be a factor at No. 27. He showed the skills that once had him tabbed as a future top-10 pick until his college career peaked early.

Freeland still was impressive, considering a basketball background as short as today's more touted visitor, Senegal's 7-foot center Saer Sene.

"Joel's shooting stroke is as tight as any big man you'll see," said David Griffin, Suns vice president of basketball operations. "He changes ends like a deer. He can really run.
[/FONT]

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
"Joel's shooting stroke is as tight as any big man you'll see," said David Griffin, Suns vice president of basketball operations. "He changes ends like a deer. He can really run."
Sounds like the Euro Paul Shirley. :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
panfolk said:
Surely he's got more potential.

I think he has much more potential, but please don't call me "Shirley." :)

I always enjoyed this comment about the name... I think it came from the movie "airplane."

If I recall correctly, Leslie Nielsen made the comment about the name in jest seriousness... a play on the words surely and Shirley.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I think he has much more potential, but please don't call me "Shirley." :)

I always enjoyed this comment about the name... I think it came from the movie "airplane."
"There's a problem at the hospital."

"What is it?"

"Oh, it's a big buiding with residents and interns." :)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Man maybe I'll find that Hoops Summit and watch it lol I'm just not sure, why the need for a player the Team wouldn't even play much 2 years ago and let go, when they could've had him really cheap (Hunter)...

I guess this depends on your definition of "really cheap". Hunter signed a 5-year deal averaging over $3 million per season. That's why I had no problem letting him go, especially given his pea sized brain.

Joe Mama

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
BC867 said:
"There's a problem at the hospital."

"What is it?"

"Oh, it's a big buiding with residents and interns." :)

Joey: Wait a minute. I know you. You're Kareem Abdul-Jabar. You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers.
Roger Murdock: I'm sorry son, but you must have me confused with someone else. My name is Roger Murdock. I'm the co-pilot.
Joey: You are Kareem. I've seen you play. My dad's got season tickets.
Roger Murdock: I think you should go back to your seat now Joey. Right Clarence?
Captain Oveur: Nahhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone, let him stay here.
Roger Murdock: But just remember, my name is ROGER MURDOCK. I'm an airline pilot.
Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
Roger Murdock: The hell I don't. LISTEN KID. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Chad what I remember reading is that Hunter said in paper that he'd be willing to re-sign with Suns if the 2nd year was guaranteed on the LLE...

JonnySuns

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys, very kind :)

I gotta admit that Saer Sene looks pretty good from that video clip in the earlier post. He's absolutely huge and would certainly be good to throw in there to give us defensive presence in the paint at the very least.

Joel Freeland is from Farnham which is real close to where I live in Hampshire. I was totally shocked to hear that a british kid was in this years draft! lol

What about the news of Marion to be traded to the bulls for Tyson Chandler and their number 2 pick!?? Mike Wilbon on PTI last night didn't seem to think much of it, what do u reckon?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JonnySuns said:
Thanks for the welcome guys, very kind :)

I gotta admit that Saer Sene looks pretty good from that video clip in the earlier post. He's absolutely huge and would certainly be good to throw in there to give us defensive presence in the paint at the very least.

Joel Freeland is from Farnham which is real close to where I live in Hampshire. I was totally shocked to hear that a british kid was in this years draft! lol

What about the news of Marion to be traded to the bulls for Tyson Chandler and their number 2 pick!?? Mike Wilbon on PTI last night didn't seem to think much of it, what do u reckon?

welcome to the messageboard. The Chicago Bulls rumor is BS.

Joe

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody heard if Sefolosha did well? That insider article has him ranked as one of the 4 best perimeter defenders in the draft. If he can make his shots he'd be perfect for even the #10. Though I can see the logic in getting Brewer as a comboguard replacement to Barbosa...