Suns after Austin Croshere?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
If he gets waived then he still collects his former salary, but does he have to accept the minimum. Are you just assuming he would take the minimum to play for a contender.

Why not?

Let's say his salary with Indiana is 6 million. He gets waived. He still gets 6 million no matter what.

If the new team pays him a million, then Indiana pays him 5 million. If he is paid the minimum, Indiana pays him the difference, and he always makes the 6 million. The only way that changes is if the new team pays him MORE than his previous contract.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
He gets paid the same. If he take the min the team he signed with pays the min and get gets his old salary ( minus the min or what ever he signs for) Unless he gets a max offer or more than what he was making he will get paid the same.

I apologize for bringing up this old argument, but I thought we had finally figured that his new team would pay him half of whatever he signs for and the other half would come out of his previous pay. For example if he was making $10 million with the Pacers and the Phoenix Suns signed him for $5 million per season he would make $12.5 million ($7.5 million from the Pacers and $5 million from the Phoenix Suns).

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I apologize for bringing up this old argument, but I thought we had finally figured that his new team would pay him half of whatever he signs for and the other half would come out of his previous pay. For example if he was making $10 million with the Pacers and the Phoenix Suns signed him for $5 million per season he would make $12.5 million ($7.5 million from the Pacers and $5 million from the Phoenix Suns).

Joe Mama

I don't remember that getting worked out. :D

If that was the case, then there would be no way we'd be able to sign anyone of those waived players for the minimum. Especially someone like Finley.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JPlay said:
He's a descent role player, but he's not as good as you think. Defensive liability.

Do you think he's a good shooter, because he's a careeer 33% from behind the arc. last year he shot 25% from 3.

He definitely will contribute more than Paul Shirley, remember we have to have 14 players and somebody has to fill PS seat. I just hope he can contribute some journal entries as well.

The Suns will definitely will target face up players and Croshere is that kind of player. He has a very good jump shot and I do remember him taking the ball to the hole very aggressively in earlier years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
He definitely will contribute more than Paul Shirley, remember we have to have 14 players and somebody has to fill PS seat. I just hope he can contribute some journal entries as well.

The Suns will definitely will target face up players and Croshere is that kind of player. He has a very good jump shot and I do remember him taking the ball to the hole very aggressively in earlier years.

For once, I agree with coloradosun. :)

I think there is virtually no risk in signing anyone to a minimum deal, so I don't know why people make such a big deal out of it.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Why not?

Let's say his salary with Indiana is 6 million. He gets waived. He still gets 6 million no matter what.

If the new team pays him a million, then Indiana pays him 5 million. If he is paid the minimum, Indiana pays him the difference, and he always makes the 6 million. The only way that changes is if the new team pays him MORE than his previous contract.

Exactly.

This is why someone had quoted the front office as saying they are going to sit back and wait in any other FA signings. They were aware of this "amnesty" clause because they can get some guys on the cheap. They will sign small contracts because their original contracts are going to be subsidized by the preceding team.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
coloradosun said:

Don't forget he was under alot of pressure to produce since he signed that huge contract. I think if he is able to go back to a dirk worker with a min salary he can be productive off the bench, I just don't think he will be on the Suns team. I could see the Jazz or Detroit making a move to sign him.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Croshere would be the best of all possible replacements for Walter McCarty.

I've said all along that the Suns will bring in a finesse four to dangle at the end of their rotation, but Croshere is actually good enough to begin with that role and earn more minutes based on his play. The Suns certainly wouldn't get that from anybody else who might be available for the minimum.

The main difference between Croshere and Robert Horry (at this point) is experience. Well, that and Croshere's hair, which is starting to look really bad IIRC.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
When Larry Bird was the coach with Indiana, he played Croshere a lot and Croshere had an excellent year. In the off season they signed him to a new contract.

Bird left and Isiah Thomas came on board as coach, Thomas refused to play him most of the time.

Bird came back to the team and promptly fired Thomas.
Now Carlisle is coach and he has been getting more minutes and has had some good games. He played well as a starter after the players were suspended last year, and was one of the reasons they continued to win at a pace no one expected.

For the minimum he would be a very good hustle guy that can hit the 3 and rebound, and he always seems to play hard.

-

completely agree. so does cheese. and you all know how he feels about white power players. he'd be a good addition. won't get many mins, but can shoot the trey, is aggressive and can be another large body, which we currently don't have.