Suns at Hawks Game Thread

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns' offense is starting to click -- and it could be getting a big boost on Wednesday.
Amare Stoudemire hopes to return to the lineup when the Suns visit the Atlanta Hawks.Stoudemire has missed the Suns' last two games with pain in his right knee. He missed three weeks during the preseason after undergoing microscopic surgery on his right knee but started in Phoenix's first two games, picking up 23 points and 11 rebounds in a season-opening win at Seattle but just seven points and one board in Friday's defeat against the Los Angeles Lakers.Stoudemire said Tuesday that he was hopeful he could play against the Hawks."No doubt. I feel better about playing (Wednesday) night," he said. "I just don't want to jump out there too soon."Stoudemire underwent two surgeries on his knees and played in just three games in 2005-06, but played in all 82 games last season, averaging a team-high 20.4 points and 9.6 rebounds.Boris Diaw started in place of Stoudemire on Tuesday and had 15 points and 11 assists in a 115-83 win at Charlotte. The Suns (3-1) set a season high for points and scored 52 points in the paint without their star center.Phoenix had been concerned about its up-tempo offense in its first three games, including the 119-98 loss to the Lakers. However, the Suns shot 50 percent, committed only 10 turnovers and led by as many as 34 points against the Bobcats."It was pretty good," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're still not clicking all the way, but we definitely did some good things tonight."Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell and Shawn Marion led eight players in double figures with 16 points apiece, and the Suns held Charlotte to 37 percent shooting."We always play defense," said Marion, who had 11 rebounds. "It just gets overshadowed because our offense is so exhilarating."Phoenix, which opened a four-game road trip against Southeast Division teams, has won 15 of its last 16 road games against Eastern Conference teams dating to last season. The Suns have also won five straight in Atlanta since a 104-89 defeat there on March 15, 2002.The Suns and Hawks split two matchups last season, with each winning on the other's court.The Hawks (1-2) are returning home after a pair of road losses, including Tuesday's 87-82 defeat in New Jersey. Atlanta got to within two points of the Nets with about five minutes left but couldn't pull even, one night after losing 92-91 in Detroit."We were right there at the end of the game," coach Mike Woodson said. "We had our chances, but we can't keep putting ourselves in this position."Josh Smith and reserve forward Josh Childress each had 18 points for the Hawks, who are averaging just 91.3 points per game. Atlanta ranked last in the league in 2006-07 with a 93.7 scoring average.Hawks guard Speedy Claxton (knee), center Zaza Pachulia (knee) and center Lorenzen Wright (foot) all missed the game and have not played yet this season because of injury.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=271107001

Suns 110
Hawks 98

Nash

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
We need to win this and put ATL at 1-3. That kind of record starting out can't be good for the confidence level of a young team.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Diaw will disappear again should Amare play. I was really looking forward to seeing them both in the lineup last season, but that did not work out so well. Can Diaw ever learn to play with Amare?

simply_amare

Rookie
Reaction score
Atlanta will be tough to beat tonight. This will depend on how Amare plays tonight. Hope he could just fit in and start gelling with the team like the other guys, especially Boris. I could see them developing chemistry but those few games was during Amare not playing.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Diaw will disappear again should Amare play. I was really looking forward to seeing them both in the lineup last season, but that did not work out so well. Can Diaw ever learn to play with Amare?

I for the life of me just can't understand why this doesnt work. Watching the game last night I was amazed at Boris in the post and his interior passing. Its not like Amare parks down there and doesn't allow Boris to do this. Hes always just outside the paint or on the wing. You would think this would be ideal for Boris and he would get Amare the ball for dunks all day long.

Yet nothing.

I get the feeling after Amare came back or when Boris first got here Amare dunked on him in practice and said "Your soft as hell frenchy". So Boris goes into a frightned coma every time he is on the floor with STAT.

Does anyone else have a better explanation?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I for the life of me just can't understand why this doesnt work. Watching the game last night I was amazed at Boris in the post and his interior passing. Its not like Amare parks down there and doesn't allow Boris to do this. Hes always just outside the paint or on the wing. You would think this would be ideal for Boris and he would get Amare the ball for dunks all day long.

Yet nothing.

I get the feeling after Amare came back or when Boris first got here Amare dunked on him in practice and said "Your soft as hell frenchy". So Boris goes into a frightned coma every time he is on the floor with STAT.

Does anyone else have a better explanation?

There isn't as much room with Amare out there. When Amare is out there, he is at the elbow or closer, allowing Amare's man to double team.

When Amare is not out there, the 4 others are usually outside the 3 point line, allow Boris much more room to operate.

At least that is how I see it. A double team against Boris now, definitely leads to a wide open 3.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
At least that is how I see it. A double team against Boris now, definitely leads to a wide open 3...
...by Grant Hill. ;)

Suns favored by 5.5 tonight. I hope this is another blowout, so we'll have plenty of time to discuss Kobe again...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...by Grant Hill. ;)

Suns favored by 5.5 tonight. I hope this is another blowout, so we'll have plenty of time to discuss Kobe again...

I didn't say that he would make it. :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the suns beat the hawks tonight they should be motivated to beat them since we get their 1st round pick this year and the suns probally want the hawks starting out and finishing bad more then anyone :). Plus I hope Amare has a good game tonight and doesn't get into foul trouble early, and it will be intresting to see how diaw can play with amare back. Should be a fun game to watch GO SUNS

My prediction is

Suns 109

Hawks 106

Leading Scorer Hill

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
I can really imagine how much extra motivation Marion (and company) gets out of thinking about our next draft pick, with him wanting to be in Phoenix...

:biglaugh:

Diaw trying to take revenge on his former coach could make him more aggressive, but then there is JJ on the other side, feeling undervalued by his ex-coach and the unwilling spender.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well our bench isn't looking to hot this game really having trouble vs the hawks :(, also hill and barbosa have to pick it up they have done nothing this game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Lol - every time the Atlanta announcers say "Chillz" it makes me laugh and think back to the days when Joe left.

BTW - I just heard that Andre Igoudala turned down 57 million from the Sixers cause he wants 60. He is scheduled to be a RFA this offseason. Stephen A ripped him on ESPN but maybe he just doesn't want to play in Philly.

Consider me the leader of the "Let Marion opt out and lets get AI on here at 2/3 the cost" bandwagon." :thumbup:

Last edited:

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
it's good to be watching a suns game,
this is my 1st time this season,

and i think my brother needs to use the PC..

damnit!