Suns @ Clippers Wednesday game thread, October 23rd, 2024: Season Opener

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns are going to be better at executing in close games but they are still doing stupid things with the ball. If they can cut down on that? This team won’t be the worst 4th quarter team this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns are going to be better at executing in close games but they are still doing stupid things with the ball. If they can cut down on that? This team won’t be the worst 4th quarter team this year.

Yeah, but I feel confident the Suns will clean up their turnovers. They should only get better the more they play.

Booker looked like he had trouble adjusting to the offensive flow.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

KD is going to do what he wants regardless of coaching. You just have to hope he’s concentrating at the right time when it comes to ball security and crisp decision making.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kai Jones looked like he was ready to destroy us in the first. He’s had sine questionable issues but man he’s active and full of energy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kai Jones looked like he was ready to destroy us in the first. He’s had sine questionable issues but man he’s active and full of energy.

And Amir Coffey didn't miss a shot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel much better with the Suns escaping with a win. With the difficult early season schedule, I thought they could easily go 1-2 to open the season.

Of course, they still might, but they get that opening night win. They should be able to clean up the offense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I didn't see this angle. Crazy that he is arguing, that was baaaaaaad, Beal lucky to not have gotten a serious injury there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a huge rebound by Nurkic on the Harden missed free throw at the end and the late free throws.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't see this angle. Crazy that he is arguing, that was baaaaaaad, Beal lucky to not have gotten a serious injury there.
Give it 12 hours and we’ll prob hear different.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Good stuff:
Suns are significantly deeper than they were last year. Jones and Morris are a good point guard rotation, Plumlee is not as cooked as I thought he was, and the rookies got to play for a while.
They are playing faster. I didn't see them walk the ball up the court nearly as much as they did last year.
Good to see them win the fourth quarter.
Very happy that the rookies are in the rotation. They didn't play great, but they look like actual rotation players.
Great job shooting almost 40 threes.
Jones and Morris do solve some of the turnover issues and the offense looks smoother.

Bad stuff:
Offense still stalls a bit when KD gets the ball. They really need to consistently let the point guard run the show. This was significantly worse when Jones was on the bench.
While Jones and Morris fix some of the turnover issues, KD, Book, and Nurk need to calm down and stop doing stupid stuff. KD stepped out of bounds, bounced the ball of his foot twice, slipped and fell down at least once. Book needs to stop jumping up in the air and then passing the ball. Nurkic needs to stop trying to be fancy with his passes. Out of their 15 turnover, at least half were easily preventable.
They have to do a better job rebounding the ball.
I know they shoot great from the free throw line in OT, but I swear that they were shooting 50% or so from the line before that.

First game with a new coach, new system, and five new rotation players- I am not surprised it was a little rocky, but if we are still seeing these things 20 games in, I am going to be concerned. I saw flashes of what this system can become- lots of good stuff.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Even if the Clips aren't what they used to be, winning on the road against them still counts as a worthwhile win... especially considering we still have some considerable rust to work off.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to note, the Suns had 22 turnovers, but neither point guard had any.

Tyus Jones was 5-10 for 15 points, 8 assists, 1 block and 0 turnovers.

Monte Morris was 2-5 for 5 points, 2 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers.

Let the point guards handle the ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if the Clips aren't what they used to be, winning on the road against them still counts as a worthwhile win... especially considering we still have some considerable rust to work off.

No matter how many guys they have out, they always seem to compete and wiggle their way into the playoffs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good stuff:
Suns are significantly deeper than they were last year. Jones and Morris are a good point guard rotation, Plumlee is not as cooked as I thought he was, and the rookies got to play for a while.
They are playing faster. I didn't see them walk the ball up the court nearly as much as they did last year.
Good to see them win the fourth quarter.
Very happy that the rookies are in the rotation. They didn't play great, but they look like actual rotation players.
Great job shooting almost 40 threes.
Jones and Morris do solve some of the turnover issues and the offense looks smoother.

Bad stuff:
Offense still stalls a bit when KD gets the ball. They really need to consistently let the point guard run the show. This was significantly worse when Jones was on the bench.
While Jones and Morris fix some of the turnover issues, KD, Book, and Nurk need to calm down and stop doing stupid stuff. KD stepped out of bounds, bounced the ball of his foot twice, slipped and fell down at least once. Book needs to stop jumping up in the air and then passing the ball. Nurkic needs to stop trying to be fancy with his passes. Out of their 15 turnover, at least half were easily preventable.
They have to do a better job rebounding the ball.
I know they shoot great from the free throw line in OT, but I swear that they were shooting 50% or so from the line before that.

First game with a new coach, new system, and five new rotation players- I am not surprised it was a little rocky, but if we are still seeing these things 20 games in, I am going to be concerned. I saw flashes of what this system can become- lots of good stuff.
I’ll forgive a lot of the bad seeing as the team is much different from a player coach perspective and playing a team in their first game in their new arena.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson Allen getting the Clippers turnover to seal the win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the Suns hit their free throws in overtime. They went 10-10 at the line.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where Nurkic grabs a critical missed free throw by Harden.