Suns don't want to trade Gortat now, may keep him to be part of future

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One day after the Phoenix Suns drafted Alex Len with the fifth pick in the NBA draft, Marcin Gortat was assured by the organization that it has no plan to trade him – for now – and might want to make him part of the future, his agent Guy Zucker told RealGM.

After the draft, Gortat had understood the Suns’ clear transition into retooling the roster, leading to belief a trade would be beneficial to both sides. Yet, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said Thursday that Gortat would fill a mentoring role for Len.

“It’s clear they are in a rebuild and they drafted a center, so [a trade] would make sense, but for now they want to hold onto him,” Zucker said Friday afternoon. “As with everything in the league, it should be stated: As of today.”

Throughout most of the season, Gortat had been in trade speculation and made clear his desire to be a contributor on a winning team.

Gortat, 29, has one season left on his contract and could start negotiations on an extension in July. He has established himself as a double-double center over the past three years, enjoying a career season with Steve Nash two seasons ago. Gortat averaged 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in 61 games last season.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/228456/Suns-Might-Want-Marcin-Gortat-Part-Of-Franchises-Future
Ok this makes no sense and I hope its all wrong. I think its extremely idiotic to even think that Gortat could mentor Len. Gortat is an average center himself, its not like he's Hakeem. If you can trade Gortat and get good assets for him, you do it...you don't hold on to him to mentor lol. A top 5 pick should be ready to come in and start day 1.

Gortat doesn't even want to be here, he's said it a million times. Yea Gortat "mentoring" to Len is probably gonna include Gortat saying "Yea get the f**k out of here as soon as you can, this place sucks without Nash and is an extremely dysfunctional organization with idiots everywhere"

Why would Gortat care to mentor for a guy on a team that he likely won't even be on for next year once he becomes a FA?

And Gortat is likely gonna cost a fortune next summer (with the current market for centers)...I really hope the Suns don't dish out top dollar to keep Gortat cause they want to be "part of the future".

If McDonough ends up letting Gortat walk as a FA or overpays to keep him after drafting Len and everything, I will turn against McD completely.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok this makes no sense and I hope its all wrong. I think its extremely idiotic to even think that Gortat could mentor Len. Gortat is an average center himself, its not like he's Hakeem. If you can trade Gortat and get good assets for him, you do it...you don't hold on to him to mentor lol. A top 5 pick should be ready to come in and start day 1.

Gortat doesn't even want to be here, he's said it a million times. Yea Gortat "mentoring" to Len is probably gonna include Gortat saying "Yea get the f**k out of here as soon as you can, this place sucks without Nash and is an extremely dysfunctional organization with idiots everywhere"

Why would Gortat care to mentor for a guy on a team that he likely won't even be on for next year once he becomes a FA?

And Gortat is likely gonna cost a fortune next summer (with the current market for centers)...I really hope the Suns don't dish out top dollar to keep Gortat cause they want to be "part of the future".

If McDonough ends up letting Gortat walk as a FA or overpays to keep him after drafting Len and everything, I will turn against McD completely.

I have no idea what offers they might have received but if no one was offering more than a low first rounder or something like that, I'd keep him too. And, if you're hoping that he will have a strong first half of the season so that you can move him for better value, you certainly don't announce the guy is on the block. You make the kind of statements that keep the door open on the guy, like we apparently have done.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gortat's not going to command a huge contract next summer, from the Suns or anyone else. He's already 29, and his only impressive season and a half was when he played alongside Steve Nash. He's the epitome of mediocrity on the downside of his career.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what offers they might have received but if no one was offering more than a low first rounder or something like that, I'd keep him too. And, if you're hoping that he will have a strong first half of the season so that you can move him for better value, you certainly don't announce the guy is on the block. You make the kind of statements that keep the door open on the guy, like we apparently have done.

Steve

agreed. This is all about posturing. The last thing you want is every team out there knowing you are desperate to get rid of him. I would like to see him moved this summer, but I wouldn't do it just to do it.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

True.

At the latest, some team should want him at the trading deadline. Also Gortat is an expiring contract. It's really a can't miss situation. Maybe the Suns even re-sign him on the cheap if his value is low.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mine keeping Gortat if you could do it for around 10 mil a year.

I think fans in general really don't know how hard just solid big men are to find. If we could lock up Gortat early this season I be for it but seeing how Gortat got the contract he got for being just a backup he's likely expecting a max type deal and someone may be dumb enough to give it to him. I'll be interested in seeing what the kid from Minny gets thats likely Gortat's matching guy salary wise right there.

Everybody's on the Wiggins bandwagon and rightfully so but are kind of overlooking the Randle kid. Him and Len would make a heck of a frontcourt for the next decade Randle would have been the 1st pick last year or this year if Wiggins isn't in the draft.

As far as having Len and Gortat well Gortat can run the pick and roll really really good and is veristale enough to play PF as far as Len playing PF I just don't see that he really like a throw back type center I think he athletic for a guy that big but still would have trouble defending athletic 4's.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mine keeping Gortat if you could do it for around 10 mil a year.

I think fans in general really don't know how hard just solid big men are to find. If we could lock up Gortat early this season I be for it but seeing how Gortat got the contract he got for being just a backup he's likely expecting a max type deal and someone may be dumb enough to give it to him. I'll be interested in seeing what the kid from Minny gets thats likely Gortat's matching guy salary wise right there.

Everybody's on the Wiggins bandwagon and rightfully so but are kind of overlooking the Randle kid. Him and Len would make a heck of a frontcourt for the next decade Randle would have been the 1st pick last year or this year if Wiggins isn't in the draft.

As far as having Len and Gortat well Gortat can run the pick and roll really really good and is veristale enough to play PF as far as Len playing PF I just don't see that he really like a throw back type center I think he athletic for a guy that big but still would have trouble defending athletic 4's.

I've already made a couple of posts fantasizing about adding both Wiggins and Randle. Parker gets more pub but Randle (and Gordon too) will likely do better in the pros. Actually, I'd move the whole team to get Wiggins, Randle and maybe Carson. Dreaming is free fortunately.

Steve

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I willing to bet PHX is getting no offers for him. The POR thing fell through because POR wanted a young C to pair with Lillard and viewed Gortat as a last resort, they obviously decided to take McCollum rather than get Gortat.

The only team I could see becoming interested are the 2 losers of the Dwight Howard sweepstakes (DAL/HOU or LAL).

Either PHX is just going to let his contract expire or sell him for pennies on the dollar at the deadline because teams have enough sense to not overspend on a guy that is going to be a FA at the end of the year when they could just wait to scoop him up in FA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'll be interested in seeing what the kid from Minny gets thats likely Gortat's matching guy salary wise right there.

Pekovic? He averaged 16.3/8.8 last season and is 27. Gortat averaged 11.1/8.5 and is 29. No one is going to pay Gortat the kind of money that Pekovic will get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude's value is very little IMO. he's an expiring contract, doesn't seem like someone to get a team over the hump.

maybe I can see OKC trading a late first rounder for him at the trade deadline if they think his missing size is the last piece of the puzzle...otherwise, not sure who he helps.

maybe the Heat if they realized they don't have enough beef in the middle?

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
True.

At the latest, some team should want him at the trading deadline. Also Gortat is an expiring contract. It's really a can't miss situation. Maybe the Suns even re-sign him on the cheap if his value is low.

Yea that's what they said when Noel and McLemore slipped to the Suns as well. :rolleyes:

No team is gonna give up anything worth while at the deadline for him. He's gonna be a FA 4 months later and teams fighting for playoffs don't wanna give up a good player and then hurt the team chemistry.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake