Suns draft Oso Ighodaro at #40

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Also I think they have the physical tools and hopefully the drive to get better and put in the work.

Anyone know if coach Bud has played rookies before? Might be hard for Dunn to earn time before Okogie and O'Neale, but Ighodaro should absolutely get regular minutes.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also I think they have the physical tools and hopefully the drive to get better and put in the work.

Anyone know if coach Bud has played rookies before? Might be hard for Dunn to earn time before Okogie and O'Neale, but Ighadaro should absolutely get regular minutes.

I think Oneale will get time all season, its just a matter of who's next up...JO or Dunn.

I mean Dunn was playing the point of attack in summer league, were they testing his on-ball skills? He's bigger/taller and more athletic than JO, that's kind of scary because JO is no slouch when it comes to athleticism and effort.

Oso will be a project all season, i'm usually wrong but i dont think he will get more than 7 minutes a game.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Oneale will get time all season, its just a matter of who's next up...JO or Dunn.

I mean Dunn was playing the point of attack in summer league, were they testing his on-ball skills? He's bigger/taller and more athletic than JO, that's kind of scary because JO is no slouch when it comes to athleticism and effort.

Oso will be a project all season, i'm usually wrong but i dont think he will get more than 7 minutes a game.
I like Oso. I do think you are right. Unless there's one of two things, one of the centers in front of him gets injured, or he shows well enough they can rest a center or reduce a centers minutes ahead of him during the regular season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am wondering if he gets to play PF, only because the Suns list him as a Forward on the roster, not Center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we talk about this guy a little more? After watching that war room video, it was clear that the Suns REALLY wanted Oso and considered taking him with their first round pick. So I have gone back and watched some of his video. Here is what I see.

Negatives:
1. Ugly push shot from the floor. Does he even have a jumper? (yes if you call his hook shot a jumper)
2. No three-point shot to evaluate. We don't know if he can shoot it, He never has.
3. Thin, but not skinny.
4. Average wing span for height.

Positives:
1. He has great mobility for 6-10
2. He can put the ball on the floor and has good handles for 6-10
3. Really good passer.
4. Has a great hook shot with very high release.\
5. Crafty around the hoop, uses the rim to avoid blocks etc.
6. For having a push shot, he has a quick release on it. He seems very aware of a defender's distance and what space he needs to get it off. Take a look at the quickness of his release. Am I seeing things or not?
7. Very smart with lots of basketball sense.
8. Good defensive player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oso Ighodaro will have to prove, he can shoot, rebound and makes free throws on the NBA level. The same with Ryan Dunn.

It's hard for me to get overly excited about these two players when James Jones couldn't make an obvious selection at #10.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oso Ighodaro will have to prove, he can shoot, rebound and makes free throws on the NBA level. The same with Ryan Dunn.

It's hard for me to get overly excited about these two players when James Jones couldn't make an obvious selection at #10.
Gotta get over James Jones and just look at the film of the kid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Haliburton whiff was awful, it hurt in real time, it hurts worse now. It's hurt is felt worse because we gave up on Smith too soon, and I attribute that entirely to Sarver being a cheap clown.

In McD's self serving interviews, he has basically said that Bridges was a Jones push, not his, and that was a great pick, Cam Johnson was viewed as a reach at the time and he was a great pick. Jones traded away a 1st round pick to get Chris Paul, which was brilliant.

He screwed up royal with Haliburton, but, IMO, he has extracted good value out of his used picks.

Given where we were, in what is almost universally perceived as a bad draft, I am pretty happy to come away with 2 guys who look like they could find real roles early, despite their obvious flaws. IMO, these are high floor, low ceiling players, and if you are trying to contend immediately and you're selecting these players on the back side of the draft... it makes sense.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Haliburton whiff was awful, it hurt in real time, it hurts worse now. It's hurt is felt worse because we gave up on Smith too soon, and I attribute that entirely to Sarver being a cheap clown.

In McD's self serving interviews, he has basically said that Bridges was a Jones push, not his, and that was a great pick, Cam Johnson was viewed as a reach at the time and he was a great pick. Jones traded away a 1st round pick to get Chris Paul, which was brilliant.

He screwed up royal with Haliburton, but, IMO, he has extracted good value out of his used picks.

Given where we were, in what is almost universally perceived as a bad draft, I am pretty happy to come away with 2 guys who look like they could find real roles early, despite their obvious flaws. IMO, these are high floor, low ceiling players, and if you are trying to contend immediately and you're selecting these players on the back side of the draft... it makes sense.

I want to be optimistic about the Suns recent draft picks as well, however, I haven't forgotten the Suns traded a 1st round pick for Laundry Shamet and passed over Tyrese Haliburton.

At least Cam Johnson was a skilled college player when he entered the NBA.

IIRC, I thought Robert Sarver was the driving force to draft Mikal Bridges.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta get over James Jones and just look at the film of the kid.

I do watch film. If Oso could shoot and make free throws, I'd be more excited.

Eventually it all comes down to putting the ball in the basket if a player wants to stay on the court.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I do watch film. If Oso could shoot and make free throws, I'd be more excited.

Eventually it all comes down to putting the ball in the basket if a player wants to stay on the court.
The ball in the basket as a team. Dennis Rodman on the team anytime.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ball in the basket as a team. Dennis Rodman on the team anytime.

I hope you are not comparing Oso to Dennis Rodman, especially since he hasn't played an NBA game.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The NBA has changed. I wonder how Rodman, or similar type player would fit today?

Is there anyone now or recently that that average 4pts and 17rbs in a season?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The NBA has changed. I wonder how Rodman, or similar type player would fit today?

Is there anyone now or recently that that average 4pts and 17rbs in a season?
No. Not recently. However, if there were such a person, he would fit right in with the big three. A guy that rebounds that ferociously, and could play aggressive defense like he did, could still play in this NBA. Don't forget he was a brutal screen setter too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. Not recently. However, if there were such a person, he would fit right in with the big three. A guy that rebounds that ferociously, and could play aggressive defense like he did, could still play in this NBA. Don't forget he was a brutal screen setter too.
You mean a guy like Draymond Green? Green was never as good a rebounder as Rodman and still had huge impact. I am right with you on this one Yuma.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You mean a guy like Draymond Green? Green was never as good a rebounder as Rodman and still had huge impact. I am right with you on this one Yuma.

Green is one of the best passing big men of all time. He was a perfect fit on that Warriors team that played small and fast.

IMO, the only thing he has in common with Rodman is a panache for kicking people in the groin.

Rodman was dominant enough, especially when he was with the Bulls and his personality was kept, somewhat, in check, that he'd probably be a beast in the modern NBA, but there isn't anyone remotely like him... there wasn't anyone like him before him either.

He's a one of one.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Green is one of the best passing big men of all time. He was a perfect fit on that Warriors team that played small and fast.

IMO, the only thing he has in common with Rodman is a panache for kicking people in the groin.

Rodman was dominant enough, especially when he was with the Bulls and his personality was kept, somewhat, in check, that he'd probably be a beast in the modern NBA, but there isn't anyone remotely like him... there wasn't anyone like him before him either.

He's a one of one.

Its weird to think of a comparison for Rodman as far as who is the closest to him in skillset. Motivated Chuck, like late Sixers and his first 2-3 years here is probably closest. Could guard anyone, size didn't matter as his desire was more motivation than anything. Offensively they were in different stratospheres though. Maybe Indiana Artest minus the rebounding. Rodman really was 1 of 1.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Its weird to think of a comparison for Rodman as far as who is the closest to him in skillset. Motivated Chuck, like late Sixers and his first 2-3 years here is probably closest. Could guard anyone, size didn't matter as his desire was more motivation than anything. Offensively they were in different stratospheres though. Maybe Indiana Artest minus the rebounding. Rodman really was 1 of 1.
Bill Russell maybe. Wilt, too. They were not just tall, they fought for rebounds. Like Rodman. One thing about Rodman, everyone thinks he's a head case. Off the court he was. On the court he was the most focused guy when a shot went up. Relentless.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat