Suns have not fueled same fan frenzy as in '93

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Slim Smith, Tribune

You must be registered for see images

In June of 1993, 14-year-old Tim Luukkonen, his 13-yearold brother Phil and their 10-year-old neighbor Josh West put the finishing touches on their homemade basketball court behind the Wests’ home in Chandler by painting the Phoenix Suns logo on the court.

The moment was captured for posterity on Page One of the Tribune.

The boys were hardly alone in their enthusiasm. That month, people across the Valley were swept up in a wave of excitement, adorning their homes, businesses and cars with Suns emblems as the team progressed through the playoffs and into the NBA Finals. At the end, 300,000 fans turned out for a parade to honor a team that lost in the Finals.

Today, the Suns play Memphis in Game 2 of their opening-round playoff series. By the end of the day Tuesday, tickets for the game were still available.

Tim Luukkonen is now 26. He’s a Web designer and animation instructor at Mesa Community College, finishing his work on an electrical engineering degree. He said he’s rarely watched the Suns play this year.

This year’s Suns are compa- rable to the 1992-93 team in many respects. Both entered the playoffs with the best record in the NBA. Both boasted dynamic players who employed a thoroughly entertaining style of play.

But in one obvious respect, the current Suns are a poor imitation of the team that captured the Valley’s imagination 12 years ago.

"There’s a big difference between then and now,’’ said Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, "because the circumstances have changed.’’

Colangelo, the architect of the 1992-93 team, sold his interest in the team to Robert Sarver last June, although he has retained his title as chairman. He said the dynamics that surrounded the 1992-93 team created an aura of anticipation that this year’s team could not be expected to rival.

"At that time, we were moving into a new arena with a new coach in Paul Westphal and then the big trade that brought Charles Barkley,’’ Colangelo said.

"From the opening of training camp, the bar was raised considerably. The expectations were extremely high and the team did not disappoint. The team jumped out of the gates quickly and had the best record in the league the entire season. The excitement just continued to grow the entire year and the climax was the playoff run and getting to the Finals,’’ he said.

The current Suns, by contrast, were something of a mystery going into the season.

"The expectations were mediocre at best,’’ Colangelo said. "It’s taken a while for people to jump on the bandwagon, so to speak.’’

Roger Egan, owner of McDuffy’s Sports Bar and Restaurant in Tempe, fondly recalls the playoff run of ’93.

"I tell you there were times when the roof shook here during the playoffs,’’ said Egan, who opened McDuffy’s in 1988. "The excitement level was far beyond anything we’ve seen before or since.’’

While today’s Suns feature exciting players such as Amaré Stoudemire, Steve Nash and Shawn Marion, the ’92-93 Suns boasted players whose personalities transcended the relatively narrow confines of sports.

Kevin Johnson was a regular guest on the Arsenio Hall Show while Dan Majerle was the Valley’s heartthrob. And then there was Barkley, perhaps the most charismatic personality the NBA has ever seen.

"Barkley just took it to another level completely,’’ Colangelo noted.

Luukkonen vividly recalls the magical quality of that playoff run.

"We lived out in the cornfields in Chandler — Ocotillo and Gilbert (roads),’’ Luukkonen said. "Back then, there were just three families living out there and the families would get together to watch the playoff games. Then, after the game, me and my brother and Josh would go outside and play basketball. I just remember it being a big deal, a lot of excitement.

"Now, I hear people talk about the Suns, but the excitement is nowhere close. I’d say it’s about 60 percent of what it was back then,’’ Luukkonen said.

In a sense, Luukkonen’s recollections of 1993 are a metaphor for what’s happened in the Valley since. It is the paradox of growth: More people, less intimacy.

"It can’t help but be different,’’ Colangelo said. "We didn’t have major league baseball back then and it is a much more competitive market for the entertainment dollar, not just for sports events, but all types of entertainment. This is one of the most saturated entertainment markets in North America. And it’s a much more diverse community now.

"So, yeah, it’s a different world.’’

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=40306

jibikao

Reaction score
Tickets are still available?

Man, what's wrong with Suns fans???

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a different era in b-ball then. The league itself is not nearly as popular with Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isiah, Chuckles, etc.

There was also a work stoppage that hurt the league.

In Phoenix, we now have baseball, hockey (um, nevermind), and a myriad of other things going on.

However. Charles Barkley and Dan Majerle were recently asked if this team played the 92/3 team 100 times, how many times would the Barkley team win. Majerle said 99, Chuck said 100. They're both full of crap.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
No offense to Amare or Nash, but we really don't have a recognizable superstar. Amare is growing into one, but he's been very inconsistent as of late. The playoffs is where he needs to step it up and make a name for himself.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

I'd go, but I have Dephinger practice.
CD Walkman will update me til 1/2 time, then the race home to watch the 2nd half.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No offense to Amare or Nash, but we really don't have a recognizable superstar.

No one of Barkley's caliber, that's for sure. The city was going crazy when the Barkley trade was still in the rumor stages. I don't think any city got as excited about the "acquisition" of a pro athlete again until the Red Sox got Schilling.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are at least a half a dozen issues that factor into the difference in popularity between that Finals team and this one. I think most importantly that team had been together with virtually the same core for 4-5 years before the Finals run. They had also been extremely successful with just not enough power to get there in those previous years.

Factor 1B would be the personalities IMO. Back then those guys were all over the TV in advertisements, interviews, etc. Of course I should note that as I wrote that last sentence I saw Shawn Marion on a RoomStore commercial. They were more charismatic than this bunch. Amare, Marion, and Richardson are characters, but Charles Barkley had more charisma in one finger than all of them combined... even if he is a jackass much of the time.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And don't underestimate one of the good points in the article--the Diamondbacks were nowhere around back then. And regardless of how bad their attendance has been this year, not many people are going to go to games for both teams. How many of the 15-20k people that go to Dbacks games also went to Suns games back in 93? I'd say there are probably more than a few.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
jibikao said:

That's pathetic. Although, I bet the price of tickets has increased at a much faster rate than inflation, so tickets must be expensive these days.

I'm going to be in Phx for the weekend. Too bad the Suns will be in Memphis at that time.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
there is only like 300 tickets left and who wants to pay $50 per ticket to sit in the nose bleeds? and to find two tickets next to each other is next to impossible. i sat up there one of the games that i went to this year and i caught myself watching the game on the big screen. and if im going to watchit on tv i'll just stay home.

jibikao

Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
there is only like 300 tickets left and who wants to pay $50 per ticket to sit in the nose bleeds? and to find two tickets next to each other is next to impossible. i sat up there one of the games that i went to this year and i caught myself watching the game on the big screen. and if im going to watchit on tv i'll just stay home.

That's exactly why I've only been to 1 or 2 Grizzily games when I was in Vancouver. lol

I couldn't afford paying 50+ for one game so I had to buy the cheap ones. And what do I get from the cheap tickets? Sitting on the balcony seat and I found myself looking at the big screen 'cause my darn eyes couldn't see who is who on the court!!! lol

Well, Barkley has always been the NBA jackass who generates a lot of news/jokes. I think a lot of people still "suspect" this Suns team which I understand.

jibikao

Reaction score
By the way, is it just me or I don't think Amare is that popular?

I am quite surprised because people generally like young players and Amare is almost like the young version of Shaq and he has improved quite a lot this year. I thought he would have more followers than...shall we say Melo?

Maybe Amare talks too cocky?? LOL

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
That year for the Suns was something else.

The excitement for that team started the previous June. I remember packing into the sports bar to watch the preseason games.

This team is so young it has many more question marks than the 92-93 team despite the same regular season record.

For me the tickets are too expensive. I will be watching from my couch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's really silly to compare the two IMO. Like everyone has said - we had a core group of guys that we already loved - guys who had already taken us through playoff wars - beating the Lakers, suffering crushing defeats against the Blazers and so on and so forth, made THE biggest trade in years for one of THE Super-Super-Stars in the league - who then starred over in Barcelona leading the USA to domination like was never seen and we were going into a brand-new stadium. Man - everything about that season was electric, evene the preseason. I remember going to a game against the Pistons where Ollie led a coast to coast fast break, dribbling between his legs and dishing to Charles for a monster dunk at the end. That team was a team of vets, showman and attitude. This is a young team that hasn't accomplished anything on the court and people are just starting to get to know. Give it time - they'll likely never approach the hysteria that 93 team whipped up - but as long they win a title - who the hell cares about fan support?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Eric]

Is that the best taunt you could come up with?

[/Eric]

:D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jibikao said:
By the way, is it just me or I don't think Amare is that popular?

I am quite surprised because people generally like young players and Amare is almost like the young version of Shaq and he has improved quite a lot this year. I thought he would have more followers than...shall we say Melo?

Maybe Amare talks too cocky?? LOL

no, i think amare is incredibly popular. the only reason he may lag behind 'melo (and i'm not even sure that's the case any longer) is b/c 'melo came into the league with SO much more exposure. amare was a question mark of a high school kid coming in. 'melo was a top high schooler touted when he entered 'cuse, then as a freshman lead his team to a national championship (and the ncaa tourney provides the biggest stage a pre-nba player could hope for - shoot, it may be a bigger stage than the nba!), and then as a rookie he was paired up with 'bron which hyped him even more (you could argue that amare was paired up with yao, but even yao didn't enter the league w/ as much fanfare as did 'bron) and he took his lowly denver team to the playoffs whereas when amare's squad made the playoffs he was still a bit player to marbury and marion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
it's really silly to compare the two IMO. Like everyone has said - we had a core group of guys that we already loved - guys who had already taken us through playoff wars - beating the Lakers, suffering crushing defeats against the Blazers and so on and so forth, made THE biggest trade in years for one of THE Super-Super-Stars in the league - who then starred over in Barcelona leading the USA to domination like was never seen and we were going into a brand-new stadium. Man - everything about that season was electric, evene the preseason. I remember going to a game against the Pistons where Ollie led a coast to coast fast break, dribbling between his legs and dishing to Charles for a monster dunk at the end. That team was a team of vets, showman and attitude. This is a young team that hasn't accomplished anything on the court and people are just starting to get to know. Give it time - they'll likely never approach the hysteria that 93 team whipped up - but as long they win a title - who the hell cares about fan support?

you and joe mama hit the nail on the head. that beast started getting pumped up with the olympics. watching sir charles beat on angolans got my blood pumping.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I still remember where I was when I heard the Suns traded for Barkley.

The best part was we got an 'in shape' Barkley from his olympic play.

jibikao

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
no, i think amare is incredibly popular. the only reason he may lag behind 'melo (and i'm not even sure that's the case any longer) is b/c 'melo came into the league with SO much more exposure. amare was a question mark of a high school kid coming in. 'melo was a top high schooler touted when he entered 'cuse, then as a freshman lead his team to a national championship (and the ncaa tourney provides the biggest stage a pre-nba player could hope for - shoot, it may be a bigger stage than the nba!), and then as a rookie he was paired up with 'bron which hyped him even more (you could argue that amare was paired up with yao, but even yao didn't enter the league w/ as much fanfare as did 'bron) and he took his lowly denver team to the playoffs whereas when amare's squad made the playoffs he was still a bit player to marbury and marion.

I guess you are right. I am just amazed that Amare isn't more popular that's all. I mean I can understand Nash/Marion. Both of them are very quiet and they just start getting more attention this year but Amare has been VERY vocal in the media. He is not afraid of taunting KG and he has one of the brightest future in NBA. It's much harder to find a powerful inside player than a slasher/all-around players like Wade/Lebron or even Melo. Big dominant guys are so rare in this league now.

Anyway, I think once the Suns gets out of the first round, we'll see more "noise" in PHX. Let's take care of the Bear first.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I still remember where I was when I heard the Suns traded for Barkley.

Duke basketball camp for me. I remember taunting Johnny Dawkins after he spoke (the night before the trade went down) telling him he was gonna lose his job to Horny. I am a jerk now - I was a jerk then - but as usual - I WAS RIGHT! :D

Funny thing was - I was a little irked Lang was included in the deal - no more LANG BANGS!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Duke basketball camp for me.
The thought of someone voluntarily attending a Duke basketball camp makes me sick. Actually I think just about everything involving Duke basketball is nauseating.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The thought of someone voluntarily attending a Duke basketball camp makes me sick. Actually I think just about everything involving Duke basketball is nauseating.

Just so long as we don't have any negative posts. That scares people away.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

it was pretty nauseating, but come on Mao - as a sophomore in high school, it doesn't get much better as a basketball player as playing in one of the Duke league games, hitting the game winning 3 and having Coach K walk past you and say "Nice shot" - definitely one of the (few) highlights of my high school basketball career.

But the people there - holy cow - talk about inbred southern retards!

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think a lot of this lack intensity from fans has come from the media. back in 92-93, EVERYONE was confident that the suns would win it all....not just Arizona media.

today, all you hear from TNT and ESPN is that the suns CANT win because they lack defense. Barkley doesnt support this suns team one bit, and when it comes down to it, that puts some serious doubt in fans. who's going to believe that the suns will win it all, when the guy who was closest to doing it 11 years ago doesnt? not many.

if you were to tune into any media outlet, and they were seriously saying the suns have what it takes to beat the spurs, piston, or heat, you'd have a crapload more fans showing their support. but who wants to jump on the bandwagon when the media doesnt even think that they'll make it out of the second round?

arizona fans are fairweather fans. they only come out when the sun is shining. they dont come out when there are spots of clouds today, but a chance of full sunshine tomorrow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky