Suns @ Jazz 3/27/13 The tank is on thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I said I'd believe they're tanking when we start seeing bizarre lineup moves based on vague injuries or for no real reason.

Tonight Dragic will receive a "DNP - Rest". Our point guards are Marshall and Garrett. So at least for one evening and to benefit our chances of a 2nd lotto pick, the tank is certainly in full gear.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Damn I forgot Zeller isn't on the team anymore, was hoping to see 20 minutes of his big goony ears on the court tonight.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Al McCoy said that The Dragon would be sitting out tomorrow vs. Sacramento as well. Friday is an off day, then we play the Pacers on Saturday. These three are all home games.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Al McCoy said that The Dragon would be sitting out tomorrow vs. Sacramento as well. Friday is an off day, then we play the Pacers on Saturday. These three are all home games.

Great!

Get him on a plane back to Slovenia for the summer for all I care. Let him go watch his brother play.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Diante Garrett has a strange way of running on the court. His feet don't point forward. They face out like a duck. Try running across the room that way.

I feel like an announcer trying to keep the audience entertained while the home team is playing like the Washington Generals vs. the Globetrotters. :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Utah is terrible. Suns are trying to lose- resting Dragic, playing Beasley and Brown together and Utah is just barely ahead.

Sonec

Rookie
Reaction score
If San Antonio got that fine for not playing some of their best players earlier in the season, well so should we in this case. Send Goran on holidays, back to Slovenia if you will...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love that the tank is officially on!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If San Antonio got that fine for not playing some of their best players earlier in the season, well so should we in this case. Send Goran on holidays, back to Slovenia if you will...

Big difference between sitting one player late in the season and leaving 4 key players at home for an early season marquee matchup.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's surprising that the Suns are down by only 4 after 3 quarters. Hey, is Utah trying to tank? ;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Never mind. The Jazz went on a 9-0 run to start the 4th quarter. They go up by 14 with less than 9 minutes to go.

BTW, the Bull beat Miami to end the streak.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bulls sure are dirty

Yes, they are. Tom Thibodeau coaches that way and I'd lay odds Boston doesn't win their last championship without his influence. I hate that style of play but it is effective.

Steve

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why did Goran sit?

Lord, this team is just awful.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why did Goran sit?

Lord, this team is just awful.

You answered your own question.

Goran sat so that the team can play awful to improve our draft selection and perhaps have the Lord bless us with a franchise player.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
The only difference is 4 players to 1.

The difference is the marquee matchup. The Spurs incident was a nationally televised game between two championship contenders. This was a locally televised game between two irrelevant teams without an exciting player between the two squads. Advertisers are not going to get upset that a mediocre Slovenian missed a game against a small market team that is struggling to make the 8th seed.

The bottom line is always the bottom line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only difference is 4 players to 1.

Not at all. It makes sense that a player might need a rest after 4 months, it makes less sense that they'd need that rest after 4 weeks.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advertisers are not going to get upset that a mediocre Slovenian missed a game against a small market team that is struggling to make the 8th seed.

Superbone: I object!

Court: Sustained.

Best assist guy in the league since the all-star break. LeBron is the only other player in the league that leads his team in as many categories.

And relative to other Slovenians, Dragic is BY FAR the best playing basketball at any level.

Case closed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I object!

Court: Sustained.

Best assist guy in the league since the all-star break. LeBron is the only other player in the league that leads his team in as many categories.

Ah the benefits of playing with terrible teammates... Dragic's play has improved but his "leading" status on the Suns is by default.

Measured against the other starting PGs in the league Dragic is average or slightly above. And I dont mean that as a knock on him, he is a quality player.

And are you sure about that "only other player" line? What stats are we counting here?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the benefits of playing with terrible teammates... Dragic's play has improved but his "leading" status on the Suns is by default.

Measured against the other starting PGs in the league Dragic is average or slightly above. And I dont mean that as a knock on him, he is a quality player.

And are you sure about that "only other player" line? What stats are we counting here?

I'm not sure playing with a group of "terrible teammates" is necessarily conducive to putting up good stats for a point guard. As for Dragic, I agree he's having a fairly average year all told but of late I'd say he's playing like a top 10 PG.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was more referring to leading the team in many stats was in large part due to having lousy teammates. There are a large number of players (LeBron aside) who could be statistical players if they were plugged into this inept roster.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was more referring to leading the team in many stats was in large part due to having lousy teammates. There are a large number of players (LeBron aside) who could be statistical players if they were plugged into this inept roster.

I understood your point, I just think it's less relevant when you're talking about a distributor. If Goran had a little more of a me-first mentality I could perhaps see him benefitting stats-wise from weak teammates. I think about the only thing he might benefit from given the lack of talent surrounding him might be the lack of focus his opponents bring on a nightly basis. It's hard to get fully charged when you're playing a team like the Suns.

Steve

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not saying he benefits as in it inflates his numbers, I am saying he leads the team in a stat like points per game by default because none of his teammates are good offensive players. Just like Kemba Walker, John Wall and Kyrie Irving, who all are point guards and all lead in their struggling teams in all the same categories Goran does.

Dragic is our best player, by a huge margin, just like those other dudes are for their teams. But their status as team stat leaders is more a sign of how little contribution their teams get elsewhere.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Dragic is our best player, by a huge margin, just like those other dudes are for their teams. But their status as team stat leaders is more a sign of how little contribution their teams get elsewhere.
Rather than team stat leaders, why not look at the Dragon as what he is. A Point Guard, to be evaluated on (a) assists, (b) defense, then (c) scoring. Especially on a last place/tanking team.

The Suns took a chance bringing him back, especially following directly after Steve Nash, and Dragic has delivered. 'Can't ask for more than that.

If the Suns are going to get back in contention, Goran is an excellent foundation to build upon. An excellent foundation! The skills he has shown in his first full-season chance mean more than numbers on a page.

And, after having been weary going all out at the start of the season, he has shown outstanding stamina all season long.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake