Suns @ Lakers Friday game thread, October 25th, 2024

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too early to reach conclusions about the new Suns under Mike Budenholzer.

They have only played two games, both on the road and are 1-1 for the season.

However, it's obvious to see the strategy of opposing teams. Pound the ball inside, suck the defense in, then shoot open threes over the top when the defense collapses.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, it's obvious to see the strategy of opposing teams. Pound the ball inside, suck the defense in, then shoot open threes over the top when the defense collapses.
I really don't. I think we could easily improve in several areas but I can't think of any way to mask our weakness at the five spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't. I think we could easily improve in several areas but I can't think of any way to mask our weakness at the five spot.

It's hard not to see it. I've beat that drum for a long time.

If the Suns could fix their Achilles heel, they could go a long ways.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Most negative thoughts are the right ones when rooting for Arizona teams, unfortunately.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not blaming Bud though. Clearly we need a leader and it seems he hopes Bud can be that since no one has stepped up to lead in a positive way on the court. What's the issue, since according to you, someone hoping a coach gets the players to fall in is akin to blaming the coach for something. That's not me putting words in your mouth either, it's clear as day.

I won't be surprised when your panties get twisted and you tried to take this in another direction. You've lost the benefit of doubt with me. You force views on others, like you did here saying Mainstreet is blaming Budenholzer.
Here we go again. Let me help you so we don't see 10 posts about something you didn't grasp....AGAIN. You evidently need it broken down for you. I was postulating a GENERAL question. You can agree or disagree with someone's statement while at the same time postulating a question of your own. There are multiple narratives year after year that we never have the right system or coaches or mix of supporting players.

Mainstreet said "That's up to Bud to demand this from the team or fix the cause." I AGREE with this sentiment that it's up to Bud to DEMAND the players fall in line as coach. So evidently Main and I are both blaming the coach according to you instead of the players. That's stupid. Even great coaches lose teams or have players that won't listen. That doesn't mean it's the coaches fault and we see it all the time in sports. All the coach can do is run the team and set expectations of his players. It's no guarantee they will listen.

Nobody forced a view on anybody and once again you stay on brand putting words into people's mouths because you can't grasp something. Just a suggestion but if you want clarification (because sometimes it's not easy to detail out everything in a forum post) or don't understand something which appears to be often...why don't you just ask?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually pointing the opposite direction. It's not the coach or the system that is the problem.

If there is a problem with the Suns, Mike Budenholzer has the credibility to find and fix the cause, especially after their decline under Monty Williams and Frank Vogel.

It's not the losing that bothers me, it's the quit or lack of fire in the team.

This is where the Suns miss players like Jae Crowder and Chris Paul. Players that despise losing and have some fire in their gut.
I completely agree it's looking that way at this point. As I stated the common denominator seems to be the players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. Let me help you so we don't see 10 posts about something you didn't grasp....AGAIN. You evidently need it broken down for you. I was postulating a GENERAL question. You can agree or disagree with someone's statement while at the same time postulating a question of your own. There are multiple narratives year after year that we never have the right system or coaches or mix of supporting players.

Mainstreet said "That's up to Bud to demand this from the team or fix the cause." I AGREE with this sentiment that it's up to Bud to DEMAND the players fall in line as coach. So evidently Main and I are both blaming the coach according to you instead of the players. That's stupid. Even great coaches lose teams or have players that won't listen. That doesn't mean it's the coaches fault and we see it all the time in sports. All the coach can do is run the team and set expectations of his players. It's no guarantee they will listen.

Nobody forced a view on anybody and once again you stay on brand putting words into people's mouths because you can't grasp something. Just a suggestion but if you want clarification (because sometimes it's not easy to detail out everything in a forum post) or don't understand something which appears to be often...why don't you just ask?

Covert, I'm not blaming the coaches or the system. Please reread my posts. The Suns problems run much deeper.

I'm fully supportive of coach Mike Budenholzer. If the Suns have problems, I think it's time to look at player personnel issues.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Austin Reaves having better game than Book. Stop chillin'! Next time it is personal.

Bad game by Nurk. Urk.

Hope to see some anger and effort against Dallas. Show us something.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Covert, I'm not blaming the coaches or the system. Please reread my posts. The Suns problems run much deeper.

I'm fully supportive of coach Mike Budenholzer. If the Suns have problems, I think it's time to look at player personnel issues.
I know you are not. I said "according to Hoop". We both are saying the same thing but in a different way. The common denominator appears to be the players if this keeps up.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m not gonna engage in hand wringing yet. I think there’s a happy medium between chucking threes and driving the paint that this team will learn as the season progresses. Bud and Vogel are two vastly different coaches and there are some bad habits that still need to be unlearned.

Except Nurk. He sucks. That’s not changing

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I believe the structure of the Suns team locks in their problem of having no starting power forward. Even if they got one, where would he play? Who would he replace?
That would help. Need to send out Book, Beal or KD and get a quality player in return. Make it so.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I completely agree it's looking that way at this point. As I stated the common denominator seems to be the players.

But not KD, right? He's not selfish and Grayson led the league in 3pt shooting. So I get it now, you're just terrible at asking questions and come across like you're attacking people. If you're now speaking from a point of concern, why the issue with me stating those things in regards to game 1? You're contradicting yourself, which happens, we all grow. I agree the Suns players are an issue, namely the guy who fussed his way out of Brooklyn. Do you agree or do you want to write a bunch of nonsense I don't want to read where you try justifying how he's not selfish and he can lead a team to success sprinkled with spin where you absolve him of actual blame?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not gonna engage in hand wringing yet. I think there’s a happy medium between chucking threes and driving the paint that this team will learn as the season progresses. Bud and Vogel are two vastly different coaches and there are some bad habits that still need to be unlearned.

Except Nurk. He sucks. That’s not changing

Exactly. The Suns are 1-1 on the road to open the season, but it's not hard to see where they are the most vulnerable.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Please please please crush Luka tonight. And try to piss off Klay so he starts moping and pointing at his rings :p

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
nurk always sucks against ad - wish we'd seen a little more oso/dunn who are way more mobile both on the court and in the air

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But not KD, right? He's not selfish and Grayson led the league in 3pt shooting. So I get it now, you're just terrible at asking questions and come across like you're attacking people. If you're now speaking from a point of concern, why the issue with me stating those things in regards to game 1? You're contradicting yourself, which happens, we all grow. I agree the Suns players are an issue, namely the guy who fussed his way out of Brooklyn. Do you agree or do you want to write a bunch of nonsense I don't want to read where you try justifying how he's not selfish and he can lead a team to success sprinkled with spin where you absolve him of actual blame?
There is your brand again. Keep it up. It's why you have so many disingenuous engagements. Players can tune out a coach for various reasons. It could be they don't buy into the system. It could be the relationship for the coach. It could be they only play one way. Sometimes they clash with their fellow players. Sometimes you don't have the horses to play the system you want to use. I can keep listing all the reasons if that helps you.

Every player on the teams has likely had selfish moments when they "went for theirs". However, that doesn't mean in general that is their persona. You made a generalization about him that several people here picked up on (not just me). If you had called out a particular play that was selfish I don't think you would have had so many people respond to you.

Last edited:

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah, and then the big 3 started getting all fancy with the dribbling and the turnover train started.... FYI your not going to shoot 90% from 3 the whole game either. How about letting the 2 PGs on the team actually run point instead of the big 3 dribbling the clock out?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and then the big 3 started getting all fancy with the dribbling and the turnover train started.... FYI your not going to shoot 90% from 3 the whole game either. How about letting the 2 PGs on the team actually run point instead of the big 3 dribbling the clock out?
That first quarter seemed like they all bought into the system and it was clicking. Then after that everyone fell into old habits and it fell apart. It takes a team effort to do either.