Suns @ Mavericks Game Thread

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns (19-7 ) @ Dallas Mavericks (21-7)

When Thursday 28th December
Time: 6.00 PT
TV: my45, TNT

Probable Starting Lineups:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

PG
-Steve Nash

SG-Raja Bell
SF-Shawn Marion
PF-Boris Diaw
C- Amare Stoudemire

PG-Devin Harris
SG- Jason Terry

SF
-Josh Howard
PF-Dirk Nowitzki
C-Eric Dampier

Key Bench Players

Suns
Leandro Barbosa- 16.6 points, 4.3 assists on 45% FG

Kurt Thomas- 6.4 points, 6.5 rebounds on 56% FGi- 9.2 points, 3.2 rebounds

Mavs
Jerry Stackhouse- 11.3 points, 2.4 assists on 40% FG

Devean George- 6.2 points, 2.9 rebounds on 39% FG

Team Stat Leaders

Suns

PPG-
S. Marion 20.0
RPG-
S. Marion 9.3
APG-
S. Nash 11.3

Suns

PPG-
D. Nowitzki 23.3
RPG-
D. Nowitzki 9.5
APG-
J. Terry 4.6

Game Preview

When the Dallas Mavericks and Phoenix Suns met over a month ago, they showed little similarity to the teams that met in the Western Conference finals last season.

The teams meet once again on Thursday at American Airlines Center, coming off nearly identical turnarounds.

In the first of four eventual meetings between the teams, the Mavericks (21-7) beat the Suns (19-7), 119-112 on Nov. 9. That win was the start of a 12-game winning streak for the Mavericks, who began the season 0-4.

Despite the loss, Phoenix was able to use the momentum to win 18 of its next 20 games to overcome its 1-5 start.

Dallas and Phoenix lead their respective divisions. The Suns have a 1 1/2-game lead over the Lakers in the Pacific Division, while the Mavericks have a one-half game lead over the Spurs in the Southwest, giving both teams extra incentive for Thursday for a rivalry that was already tense a month ago.

The Mavericks are coming off a 97-84 win over the Charlotte Hornets on Tuesday, their fifth straight home win and seventh in a row overall. Josh Howard was 10-of-19 from the floor and had 27 points and eight rebounds.

Nowitzki has shown little effect from a sprained ankle he suffered last week. The Dallas forward hasn't missed any time, and scored 23 points and had seven rebounds against the Hornets.

Howard seems determined to prove that he can be just as big an offensive threat for the Mavericks as Nowitzki. He has averaged 20.9 points while shooting 48.6 percent from the field over the last 14 games.

The Suns, meanwhile, won their 16th game in the last 17 tries following a 110-87 rout of the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday.

Shawn Marion scored 23 points and reserve Leandro Barbosa scored 20 of his 22 points during a 6:21 span bridging the third and fourth quarters.

It was the first game for Phoenix after having its 15-game winning streak end following a 144-139 overtime loss to the Washington Wizards on Friday. The 87 points were the fewest the Suns -- who also forced 17 turnovers -- have allowed in seven games.

The last 10 matchups between the two teams have been high-scoring affairs, with the Mavericks averaging 112.3 points and Phoenix averaging 108.5. Dallas has won six of the last 10 games between the squads.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare, thanks for the hard work that you do in these threads. It is appreciated. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
No problem..happy to do It. Although the predictions game is more work than the previews It's still fun to do.

I would of liked to of added more in the preview but think this is enough info for a game thread.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The only two teams in the league with only 7 losses and after today ONLY ONE of them... let's see which one...

GO SUNS!

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like Jerry Stackhouse might sit out tonight with a bad ankle. Here's a little bit more infor on tonight's match-up.

11:01 PM CST on Wednesday, December 27, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Who's hot: Amare Stoudemire

The Suns' 6-10 center/forward hasn't been quite the monster he was before micro-fracture surgery last season. But in the last five games, he's averaged 20.2 points and 9.4 rebounds while shooting 63.3 percent from the field. "He's a force," Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said. "He's a force on the boards. We didn't see him last year. [But] he seems to be healthy, and he's running the court really well. So we got to be up to that task to match his energy." ... During Dallas' winning streak, Devean George is averaging 9.3 points off the bench and shooting 51 percent from the field, including 50 percent (10-of-20) from 3-point range.

Who's not: Raja Bell

The Suns don't ask him to carry a heavy offensive load, but they need him to hit 3-pointers to keep defenses from collapsing on their drivers and dunkers. Bell is 6-of-31 (19.4 percent) from 3-point land in the last five games and is shooting 38 percent overall, way below his season average of 43.6 percent ... Jason Terry is shooting 41.8 percent over the last five games. But even that isn't so bad considering he's shot 40 percent from 3-point range.

Injuries

Mavericks: Jerry Stackhouse (left ankle) is doubtful.

Suns: None.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Jerry Stackhouse might sit out tonight with a bad ankle. Here's a little bit more infor on tonight's match-up.

Oh great, they already have an excuse lined up for when they lose.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This game really presents a defensive matchup problem for us. Shawn has always play Dirk well, and frustrated him defensively. But there is no way that Boris can guard Josh Howard. Boris can't really handle Dirk either. This might be the day for coach to ask Amare to step up to the defensive challenge and guard Dirk. Boris matches up fine against Dampier.

I just hate to see Amare in foul trouble. Our other option would be to bring in JR against Howard and let Marion guard Dirk. Junior's been an offensive liability, but his D has been solid.

Raja against Terry is another problem. Terry is a little 2 that might give Raja some problems. LB against Terry should be a pleasure to watch.

This game does present us with some challenges, it will be good to see if we step up.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been nervous for this game all day already...not sure how I will make it through the actual game tonight.

If we lose, I may be very, very sad.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Stackhouse always has good games against the suns, so that helps that he is out.

Amare needs to stay out of foul trouble, and we will see if Ju Jones can defend tonight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare needs to stay out of foul trouble, and we will see if Ju Jones can defend tonight.

This exactly what I was thinking, but I not sure how good Jumaine is defensively. I'm hoping he might help defend Dirk.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
This is the big one. First place in the entire league at stake. :)

Dallas is 2.5-pt. favorites, which implies the game would be even money on a neutral court. I think the Suns are the better team, of course, but they'll have to overcome home court and the night's bad bounces.

Stackhouse is apparently out, it would help the Suns immensely if they could get either Dirk or Josh Howard in foul trouble--Howard in particular is vulnerable to bad fouls. Dampier has been playing well, but he's never been able to handle the Suns' P&R, so I expect Sagana Diop will get most of the center minutes for Dallas.

With Amare and Boris starting, the Suns can really attack Dirk's defense for the first time. Both of the Suns' bigs need to have big games IMO.

It looks like Jumaine has won the eighth-man spot--it's great to see the Suns finally put a two-way player in that spot. :thumbup: I think the Suns will be looking to go small tonight, so Jumaine might take a few of KT's minutes.

We might even have a Marcus Banks sighting...

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
I just dont get this....Dallas has already taken 12 free throws in one quarter. This is pathetic officiating.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
WTF... we have 10 fouls in first quarter!!! they are just parading to the FT line...

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I just dont get this....Dallas has already taken 12 free throws in one quarter. This is pathetic officiating.
Nothing wrong with the officiating, they are driving, we are shooting jump shots and turning the ball over...

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the officiating, they are driving, we are shooting jump shots and turning the ball over...

because everytime we drive to the hoop they're handchecking and we're getting nothing from the refs.

The refs are trying to slow this game down.

anytime you have a -12 free throw differential by the end of the first quarter...its a problem beyond just jumpshots.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
because everytime we drive to the hoop they're handchecking and we're getting nothing from the refs.
Really? We are driving? Which game are you watching?

Sorry, but they are playing aggressive and we are being ***** cats...

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
Really? We are driving? Which game are you watching?

Sorry, but they are playing aggressive and we are being ***** cats...

I think one reason they arent attacking is due to the TO's caused from the Mavs Collapsing. There is alot of contact on both ends.

Not to mention really bad rebouding.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05