Suns notebook: Phoenix keeps pursuing Barry - East Valley Tribune

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS - The Suns were still pursuing Brent Barry with a full-court press on Wednesday, but they can’t afford to wait much longer for his decision.
Suns fall to Hornets, 120-103
SLIDESHOW: View photos from the game
Read Jerry Brown's blog, Rim Shots
With the deadline for free agents to sign with new teams and still be eligible for the playoffs looming on Saturday, Suns players and coaches followed up general manager Steve Kerr’s visit to the Barry family in San Antonio with phone call pleas of their own.
“We’re still talking. We’re still communicating,” Kerr said Wednesday. “Other than that, we’re where we were (Tuesday).”
But while Barry weighs his options, the clock is ticking and the Suns want to add another 3-point threat to the roster. That means even if Sam Cassell winds up a free agent, the Suns won’t be in the bidding. But they are watching to see what happens in Philadelphia, where a buyout of guard Gordan Giricek is still thought to be a possibility.
Veteran big man P.J. Brown, whom the Suns courted before the season began and kept in contact with through Christmas, is finally ready to play and agreed to a deal with the Boston Celtics on Wednesday.
A BAD REFLECTION
Amaré Stoudemire had a strong game Wednesday with 32 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks but was upset after the game saying he didn’t like being swept by the Hornets “even a little bit” and it’s time for each player to take personal stock.
“It’s a tough game playing against the top teams in your conference. Teams are going to shoot well, they’re supposed to,” he said. “They outplayed us. They played better all four times. We can’t give ourselves any excuses.
“We have to look in the mirror, learn what we individually did wrong and what we individually can do better. Talk to the man in the mirror and grow as a unit from that.”
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
Chris Paul was at the controls as usual in another New Orleans win over the Suns, but shooters Jannero Pargo (22 points), Peja Stojakovic (17) and Morris Peterson (11) were a combined 20-for-32 from the field and kept making the Suns’ defense pay.
“We don’t have an answer for Paul, but it was the other guys who killed us.” Suns coach Mike D’Antoni said. “Pargo had 16 in the first half, Mo Peterson goes 5-for-5 (shooting). That’s what kills you.
“We have to get better with our (defensive) schemes and knowing each other. It takes a lot to develop that chemistry, and I think we’ll do that. Right now, we just have to play better.”
NOT TAKING THE EXCUSE
After hitting his last three shots to close out the win over Memphis, Raja Bell hit his first three shots against the Hornets and looked poised for a big game. But Bell went 2-for-9 the rest of the way when he wasn’t chasing Paul all over.
Bell played 37 minutes Tuesday but said fatigue wasn’t a factor for him. “I don’t know about anyone else, but I felt fine,” he said.
“It was one of those nights when we were in the paint and getting to the rim,” Bell said. “But they were getting their hands on a lot of balls that we normally finish and a lot of things were bouncing off the rim that normally go in. And on the other end, they just wouldn’t miss.”
BONUS SHOTS
New Sun Linton Johnson played 24 minutes against the Hornets and was put on Paul for a while when Bell rested. He finished with five points and seven rebounds and said he feels very comfortable as his 10-day contract winds down.
“Linton played pretty well. Defensively, I like what I saw,” D’Antoni said.
Johnson played with Paul for nearly two years in New Orleans and said he looks forward to guarding him if the teams meet in the playoffs.
“I’ve got Paul’s number,” he said, smiling. “We were just out there experimenting now, so I don’t want to show all my tricks. I have some things hid that he doesn’t know about.”
Four straight wins gives the Hornets the longest current active winning streak against the Suns. The Warriors have won three straight.
Phoenix is now 11-1 in the first of back-to-back games this season and 5-6 in the second.
The Suns are now 36-10 when reaching 100 points this year, but 0-3 against the Hornets.

More...