(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing.

The Suns sign a starting point guard in Tyus Jones. This is an absolute steal for the minimum.

Here is the Suns projected rotation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tyus Jones individual assist to turnover ratio last season was the best in the NBA since it has been tracked.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh wow, this is incredible! I had him at the top of my list as a pipe dream. Without looking at the stats, I am pretty sure he's had an insane assist to turnover ratio. I'd be surprised if he averaged one single turnover per game, and if he did, it wasn't much more. He takes care of the ball, makes the right pass, can run pick and roll just fine. On top of that, while not a great shooter, he is not bad enough that teams can leave him open. He is somewhat limited on defense and finishing at the rim because of his size and athleticism, but he is not a terrible defender, and he doesn't take bad shots. He knows who and what he is, he sticks to that, and plays his role to perfection. If he is an actual starter, he will have a career year next season.

I was hoping for a solid backup point guard, but Jones is a legitimate starting point guard in this league. I view him kind of like Ricky Rubio. Yeah he is a better shooter, not as good of a passer, but more controlled, resulting in fewer turnovers. It's not a direct comparison, but more of the "Similar level" type of thing- solid starting point guard, but not a top-ten point guard.

I am actually excited about next season now. They've now added a legitimate starter-level point guard, another point guard who is not far off from being a starter-level point guard, they improved the backup Center position, they brought Allen, Royce and Bol back, and lost next to nothing (Gordon and Eubanks). They also added some defense and athleticism in the draft. This is now a scary team.
I don’t want to get too excited. But I’m finding myself straying there. One of our biggest issues was turnovers and we added two point guards who don’t turn it over.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seriously folks, ishbia is showing some serious unexpected chops for a guy who has never owned a sports franchise. And it’s not just plowing through people with money. Morris and jones had to be wooed to come here without any money as a lure. Think about that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Liddle been waived yet? I think it'd be better to waive Damion given he's now the most redundant guy on the roster.
PS: Beal, Morris and Jones were teammates on the Wizards, right?

I think Tyus Jones replaces EJ Liddell on the roster, but the Suns will likely look for a veteran big man either now or later on in the season.

If Liddell clears waivers, then a two-way contract is a possibility.

I wouldn't be shocked if Damion Lee becomes the odd man out if the right player becomes available.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ishbia keeps pulling rabbits outta hats.

I am now legitimately interested in this season.

Upgraded coach
Added two legit point guards
Upgraded backup center
Added two rookies, one with much needed athleticism
Retained Royce, okogie and surprisingly bol

This team now has nba depth. Maybe not overwhelming depth, but legitimate proven nba player depth.
PLUS adding a pool of buildable talent by giving us a G League team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously folks, ishbia is showing some serious unexpected chops for a guy who has never owned a sports franchise. And it’s not just plowing through people with money. Morris and jones had to be wooed to come here without any money as a lure. Think about that.
Just imagine how he might push the boundaries if he ever gets an NHL franchise here in the valley!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Saw @Joe Mama on the PHX Suns podcast by text challenging the hype Flex from NJ on the Tyus signing. Great job @Joe Mama! :thumbup:

My concern is that the Wizards haven't been a good team for awhile now, and we have THREE of their guards now. Do we pump the breaks on that just a little?

We need a big wing. But so far the Suns making more moves than I thought they could do.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Suns moves in the offseason to sign Allen, RO, JO, and examples of Landale, Eubanks getting bigger pays after one year stint cement their reputation to keep what they promised to the player. Guess Tyus got offered between 8-12mil a year deals, say 4 years 40mil, without starter promise in maybe bad situations. Suns promise to treat him as starter within the context of winning a championship together, and would welcome his leaving after one year stint here, say for a 4-y 60mil deal on the market. In case of injury or so, Suns would get him another min deal to be able to sign him like we did JO in year 3 for a say 2 year MLE deal, which is equivalent to a 4 years 30mil deal. Given the trust in Suns owner, the gamble is not too risky indeed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I thought he'd be priced well out of our range, didn't even put him on the wish list.

I don't know if we got rewarded for being patient or if his agent just screwed up and totally misread the early FA market.

Either way, very good get.