Suns sign Tyus Jones

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw @Joe Mama on the PHX Suns podcast by text challenging the hype Flex from NJ on the Tyus signing. Great job @Joe Mama! :thumbup:

My concern is that the Wizards haven't been a good team for awhile now, and we have THREE of their guards now. Do we pump the breaks on that just a little?

We need a big wing. But so far the Suns making more moves than I thought they could do.

Kuzma and Jordan Poole were 2 of the least efficient ball hogs in the NBA last season, and both are IMO, huge cancers. I don't blame anyone for struggling when stuck with those 2 idiots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I thought he'd be priced well out of our range, didn't even put him on the wish list.

I don't know if we got rewarded for being patient or if his agent just screwed up and totally misread the early FA market.

Either way, very good get.

Yeah, the Suns hit that one out of the ballpark, getting a starting point guard no less.

I understand Mat Ishbia was instrumental in making it happen.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Wow, late to the party as I just caught this news on Facebook. GREAT signing - we actually have a solid starting AND backup PG now. Who would have thunk it? We may have a chance to actually be better next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, late to the party as I just caught this news on Facebook. GREAT signing - we actually have a solid starting AND backup PG now. Who would have thunk it? We may have a chance to actually be better next season.

The Suns have given me more and better point guards than I could have imagined. So congrats. Goal achieved.

I don't want to push my limits, but if the Suns can give me one more big man that can play, they are ready to contend.

For the first time in two seasons, I'm seeing five solid starters and a bench.

The last key addition may not come until October or the trade deadline, though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns have given me more and better point guards than I could have imagined. So congrats. Goal achieved.

I don't want to push my limits, but if the Suns can give me one more big man that can play, they are ready to contend.

For the first time in two seasons, I'm seeing five solid starters and a bench.

The last key addition may not come until October or the trade deadline, though.
In theory, our starting five may have not changed that much. However, our bench is WAY better than it was last season. It now resembles a functioning unit with a PG, shooters, good back up center, etc. I think that's going to be the biggest change this year. Our bench routinely got clobbered in almost every game last year.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
In theory, our starting five may have not changed that much. However, our bench is WAY better than it was last season. It now resembles a functioning unit with a PG, shooters, good back up center, etc. I think that's going to be the biggest change this year. Our bench routinely got clobbered in almost every game last year.
Our starters were not the problem for the most part. We'd regularly get almost nothing from our bench (seriously often barely over double-digit points). That should absolutely change with this new bench

How in the hell did this get done? Our offseason went from a solid B to an A+ considering our limitations

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the signing. When the season ended I was seriously considering retiring from sports fandom (pro sports at least). But I love the moves the Suns have made since the KD trade, I really like what the Cards appear to be building and the DBacks appear to have righted the ship. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Love the signing. When the season ended I was seriously considering retiring from sports fandom (pro sports at least). But I love the moves the Suns have made since the KD trade, I really like what the Cards appear to be building and the DBacks appear to have righted the ship. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
I just worry the Cards have enough offensive. However I think the coaching change was for the better with them. We are in th unknown of the Suns coaches. I am thinking it can't be any worse than last season, I hope.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Wow....haven't been paying attention to the suns lately and was shocked to see them grab a starting PG for the minimum.

7asts to 1 TO last season and he has improved his scoring and assists each of the last three seasons. Hopefully Allen can adjust to coming off the bench.

Time to maybe stop second guessing the Ishba plan.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just worry the Cards have enough offensive. However I think the coaching change was for the better with them. We are in th unknown of the Suns coaches. I am thinking it can't be any worse than last season, I hope.
Lots of things to worry about with the Cards but I like what the front office has done post-Keim.

As for the Suns, it's too soon to get really hyped but the possibilities are intriguing. Even healthy, I'm still not sure we have enough to hang with the true contenders. But if the pieces mesh well and the coaching change is actually the upgrade we expect, we're at least in the running to be in the running. Might still need some help down low especially when Nurkic goes back to fasting for a month. Despite trimming down, he didn't appear to be the same player last year after Ramadan.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Last night I saw a video mentioning Tyus Jones had the highest assist to turnover ratios since that stat was starting to be kept in the seventies I believe they said.

Highest AST/TOV ratio in a season (last 45 seasons):
  • 7.35 — Tyus Jones
  • 7.04 — Tyus Jones
  • 6.96 — Tyus Jones

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lots of things to worry about with the Cards but I like what the front office has done post-Keim.

As for the Suns, it's too soon to get really hyped but the possibilities are intriguing. Even healthy, I'm still not sure we have enough to hang with the true contenders. But if the pieces mesh well and the coaching change is actually the upgrade we expect, we're at least in the running to be in the running. Might still need some help down low especially when Nurkic goes back to fasting for a month. Despite trimming down, he didn't appear to be the same player last year after Ramadan.
Just to be fair Nurkic ended the year as the best defensive rebounder in the NBA. Also, our offense has enough skill to be at LEAST in the top five in the NBA. I could not believe how poorly our offensive game plan was last year. Almost every team we played, played better as a team on offense even if they couldn't match us skill wise. I am hoping we get a good bump with a better offensive game plan. Last season was almost like watching a football team using the running backs to pass, the QBs as blockers, sending OL out as WRs, etc. It was almost like a challenge to see if we could get the least amount of score with the guys we had. We should have been north of 120 every game.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This reads as a preemptive cover story as to why he took the minimum when he had other much larger offers. I gotta think Ishbia's making promises. Hopefully he's smart about it.

I don't think so. Ishbia can't promise anything without getting Jones' bird rights. I think Jones simply recognized that he will look really good playing point guard on a contender for a year which will get him paid next year. Similar to what happened with Allen except that the Suns can't resign him at anything other than the minimum. If you are a good point guard, you are bound to have a career year playing with KD, Book, and Beal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Saw @Joe Mama on the PHX Suns podcast by text challenging the hype Flex from NJ on the Tyus signing. Great job @Joe Mama! :thumbup:

My concern is that the Wizards haven't been a good team for awhile now, and we have THREE of their guards now. Do we pump the breaks on that just a little?

We need a big wing. But so far the Suns making more moves than I thought they could do.
That team didn’t have book or KD. Just minor pieces.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be fair Nurkic ended the year as the best defensive rebounder in the NBA. Also, our offense has enough skill to be at LEAST in the top five in the NBA. I could not believe how poorly our offensive game plan was last year. Almost every team we played, played better as a team on offense even if they couldn't match us skill wise. I am hoping we get a good bump with a better offensive game plan. Last season was almost like watching a football team using the running backs to pass, the QBs as blockers, sending OL out as WRs, etc. It was almost like a challenge to see if we could get the least amount of score with the guys we had. We should have been north of 120 every game.
Yes, he's always been a good defensive rebounder but he gave us quite a bit more than that prior to his fasting.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offensively you mean? I think that’s the least of their problems gonna be a top 10 maybe top 5 offense, problem lies with the defense. Did they do enough are young guys gonna produce? Pretty much Budda is the biggest name on D and he’s hardly a star…

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reads as a preemptive cover story as to why he took the minimum when he had other much larger offers. I gotta think Ishbia's making promises. Hopefully he's smart about it.

My guess is Mat Ishbia talked about the Suns future plans for the team and Tyus Jones saw a potential fit.

IMO, the owner sold the future direction of the team. It looks like Ishbia wants to get back to having a true point guard running the team with the addition of Tyus Jones and Monte Morris.

If it doesn't work, Tyus should still up his market value by playing with a contender, talented stars and the opportunity to start.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Offensively you mean? I think that’s the least of their problems gonna be a top 10 maybe top 5 offense, problem lies with the defense. Did they do enough are young guys gonna produce? Pretty much Budda is the biggest name on D and he’s hardly a star…
The good thing is the coaches took a bunch of "guys" and made them play well as a team on defense last year. I kinda think the defense as a team has that in their favor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good thing is the coaches took a bunch of "guys" and made them play well as a team on defense last year. I kinda think the defense as a team has that in their favor.
Are you talking about the Cardinals? Their defense was abysmal last season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Cardinals? Their defense was abysmal last season.
It seemed like the start of the season they were playing well over their talent level. I know many NFL shows talked about that. It was noted the whole team played hard, which is a good sign of a well coached team. Wouldn't surprise me they couldn't sustain it all year.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seemed like the start of the season they were playing well over their talent level. I know many NFL shows talked about that. It was noted the whole team played hard, which is a good sign of a well coached team. Wouldn't surprise me they couldn't sustain it all year.
Yeah, their 4th quarters were painful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat