Suns sign Tyus Jones

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
This reads as a preemptive cover story as to why he took the minimum when he had other much larger offers. I gotta think Ishbia's making promises. Hopefully he's smart about it.
No need for promises, it's enough to pointing out options down the road after signing here for one-year min. deal. Ishbia's reputation, as mentioned in the interview, makes Tyus comfortable enough to know what's the best and worst case scenarios there.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Highly doubt we're signing anyone else.
I keep hearing we are still looking for that elusive tall wing. That may be a trade later on into the season. We can't trade either Allen or O'Neale until later, and we still have hung onto that 2031 draft pick. I think we may play it out at this point to see how the season starts. I wouldn't expect Mat to stand pat if this team still struggles.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I keep hearing we are still looking for that elusive tall wing. That may be a trade later on into the season. We can't trade either Allen or O'Neale until later, and we still have hung onto that 2031 draft pick. I think we may play it out at this point to see how the season starts. I wouldn't expect Mat to stand pat if this team still struggles.
A 6+ years out pick has value?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A 6+ years out pick has value?

Given the long term trajectory of this roster and the realistic chance to change that path... yeah, that 2031 pick will likely be a premium asset.

The Suns are about as heavily leveraged as a franchise can be. Betting against them in the long term will probably yield a windfall (even if we do have success in the interim).

How many GMs are thinking 6 years down the road? That is another wrinkle. If you are a GM who feels pressure to succeed, then is the point of hurting your present for a reward that the guy who replaces you will benefit from?

But, if you're a GM and an optimist who thinks you'll still have that job 6 years later, trading a middling role player, for a future pick that will probably land in the top 5-10 is a pretty sweet deal.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
"Jones had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 7.35 last season, the highest of any player in a season since individual turnovers were first tracked in 1977-78, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In that span, Jones has the three highest marks in a season -- 7.04 in 2021-22 and 6.96 in 2018-19."

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
"Jones had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 7.35 last season, the highest of any player in a season since individual turnovers were first tracked in 1977-78, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In that span, Jones has the three highest marks in a season -- 7.04 in 2021-22 and 6.96 in 2018-19."
...just what the doctor ordered!

Yeah, our defense is gonna suck, as always, but no more excuses on offense.
And 4th quarters should be massively better managed.

I wonder what Suns record last year would have been if you negate 4th quarter collapses?
60-22? Just guessing. Anyone have time on their hands to investigate?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...just what the doctor ordered!

Yeah, our defense is gonna suck, as always, but no more excuses on offense.
And 4th quarters should be massively better managed.

I wonder what Suns record last year would have been if you negate 4th quarter collapses?
60-22? Just guessing. Anyone have time on their hands to investigate?
Our defense was average and bad in the 4th quarter. What led to most of the bad defense in the 4th quarter was turnovers. Something I didn't know is that Jones assist to turnover ratio has been the best since the league started tracking it.

I would have to imagine that we will see a heavy does of Jones in the 4th quarter to mitigate that. By default, that should improve our defense when you are not giving up easy buckets from turnovers on the other end.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones is gonna start first of all, whether that means Beal off the bench not so sure about that. But they were talking on the radio saying highest assist to turnover ratio in NBA history! That’s crazy not sure what Ishbia promised but maybe something along the lines of we gonna try to dump Beal eventually and would love for you to be a future piece? We will see how it plays out but to get him for 3.3 and Monte for 2.8 two of the best assist to turnover PGs in the league for a team that is tapped out money wise is enormously impressive! And with a coherent game plan and better coach imo things should look a hell of a lot better! Excited for the season to start!

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
I would have to imagine that we will see a heavy does of Jones in the 4th quarter to mitigate that. By default, that should improve our defense when you are not giving up easy buckets from turnovers on the other end.
And KD in the 4th dribbling the ball off his foot or passing the ball to the other team was cringe-worthy. Maybe Jones will help cure this.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And KD in the 4th dribbling the ball off his foot or passing the ball to the other team was cringe worthy. Maybe Jones will help cure this.
I also forgot to mention that between Bud's new offense and Jones ability to pass? That should also help alleviate the scoring challenges in the 4th as well. I fully expect our 4th quarters to look completely different on both ends this season.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In another season he was tied for first with...Monte Morris

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NBA players don't need mortgages but maybe Ishbia somehow got Jones a house, way under value. Would not be surprised to hear Ishbia gets popped for circumventing the cap. He's in real estate, lots of ways that can happen.

I hope nothing like that happens because the punishment will be severe but who knows. Something about this signing seems off. Players don't leave $10-15 million on the table, which is what Tyus Jones did by signing here for the minimum. He easily could have gotten a 2 year deal at the MLE.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love the signing. When the season ended I was seriously considering retiring from sports fandom (pro sports at least). But I love the moves the Suns have made since the KD trade, I really like what the Cards appear to be building and the DBacks appear to have righted the ship. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
I was gonna sell my tickets this year if we didn't get a PG.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NBA players don't need mortgages but maybe Ishbia somehow got Jones a house, way under value. Would not be surprised to hear Ishbia gets popped for circumventing the cap. He's in real estate, lots of ways that can happen.

I hope nothing like that happens because the punishment will be severe but who knows. Something about this signing seems off. Players don't leave $10-15 million on the table, which is what Tyus Jones did by signing here for the minimum. He easily could have gotten a 2 year deal at the MLE.
Was wondering that as well. Come play here for the vet min and this briefcase full of money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

LOL

Suns make a good move, they MUST have done something illegal, amiright?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He signed a one-year contract

He will be 29 after that contract.

A good year (which should be doable with the Suns) will more than make up for any lost salary.

Cardinals have done it all the time - sign one year prove it contracts and it works, and no one is claiming they are handing them suitcases of cash (which of course, with the Bidwills is laughable).

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Jones likely had options where he was going to be a backup (Atlanta, Memphis), or a starter on a crappy team (Washington.) Not many teams have $10-15M to throw around.) He has an opportunity to start on a contender surrounded by KD, Book, and Beal. He saw what happened to Allen's value in one year. It makes perfect sense for him to come to Phoenix for one year on a minimum contract.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

What has he done up to this point to demonstrate he is about that at all? If Jones plays well this season he stands to make a crap ton of money next. Why can't you just take that at face value?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some folks don’t like Ishbia because of the KD trade, but the way some go out of their way to find fault with him, even when we luck into a shockingly good pick-up like Jones, is kinda weird.

I get that there’s been strong arguments that the Suns are screwed and can never field a real playoff contender again as long as KD is here, but maybe they’re not as screwed as a lot of us thought? I mean… I still think the odds are against us, but I ain’t looking a gift horse in the mouth here. And, they’re really one pretty good piece away from making a big jump and they now have two movable contracts with Royce and Allen (and that 31 pick) to try to make that happen.

At the very worst, I’m looking forward to better basketball with some actual PG play and hopefully a new offense from Bud.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some folks don’t like Ishbia because of the KD trade, but the way some go out of their way to find fault with him, even when we luck into a shockingly good pick-up like Jones, is kinda weird.

I get that there’s been strong arguments that the Suns are screwed and can never field a real playoff contender again as long as KD is here, but maybe they’re not as screwed as a lot of us thought? I mean… I still think the odds are against us, but I ain’t looking a gift horse in the mouth here. And, they’re really one pretty good piece away from making a big jump and they now have two movable contracts with Royce and Allen (and that 31 pick) to try to make that happen.

At the very worst, I’m looking forward to better basketball with some actual PG play and hopefully a new offense from Bud.
Until now I wasn’t convinced we could be a play-in team. Now I’m on record with a top six showing.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

And Okogie another tradable contract

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad James Jones finally came to the realization the Suns needed a point guard. Two is even better because the Suns can always have a playmaker on the court. This is not taking anything away from Booker and Beal, but it gives them the freedom to do their thing without the burden of having to be a primary distributor.