Suns to Sign Point Guard Ty Ty Washington on a Two-way Contract

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns plan to sign point guard Ty Ty Washington on a two-way contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washington Jr. is only 22 years of age.

It seems like someone in the Suns front office finally got the message about needing point guards.

Now the Suns have four. Two point guards on the 15-man roster in Tyus Jones, Monte Morris and two on two-way contracts in Collin Gillespie and Ty Ty Washington Jr.

Looks like the Suns are not only planning for now, but the future as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to get riled up for a two-way, but, do we really need another PG? The team skews small currently, would have preferred another a bigger wing or true big for the remaining 2-ways.

I was thinking the same way, but the chances of the Suns keeping both Tyus Jones and Monte Morris after this season are slim unless they clear some salary or make a trade.

IMO, they are looking towards the future. Also, Tyus Jones and Ty Ty Washington Jr. have the same agent.

If the Suns make a trade this season, I'm thinking they will be looking for a big man.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ty Ty Washington Jr. has connections with the Valley.

He is a Phoenix native, shares the same agent as Tyus Jones and played for Suns assistant Chaisson Allen with the Wisconsin Herd in the G-League.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to get riled up for a two-way, but, do we really need another PG? The team skews small currently, would have preferred another a bigger wing or true big for the remaining 2-ways.
Nothing wrong with signing them to the farm team. I might have to go to a G League game this year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Washington Jr. is only 22 years of age.

It seems like someone in the Suns front office finally got the message about needing point guards.

Now the Suns have four. Two point guards on the 15-man roster in Tyus Jones, Monte Morris and two on two-way contracts in Collin Gillespie and Ty Ty Washington Jr.

Looks like the Suns are not only planning for now, but the future as well.

Interesting. The WHOLE organization was on message last season that a PG was NOT needed. Now, same GM, same owner, same core players, and we have FOUR PGs added to the team. Still JJ is not admitting that they needed a PG last season. LOL!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think someone in this forum was saying we should take a flyer on this guy. We need a scouting report on him. :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The WHOLE organization was on message last season that a PG was NOT needed. Now, same GM, same owner, same core players, and we have FOUR PGs added to the team. Still JJ is not admitting that they needed a PG last season. LOL!

Much of the media was singing the same tune until late in the season, when they finally realized a backup point guard wasn't such a bad idea.

Now the Suns have quadrupled down.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Much of the media was singing the same tune until late in the season, when they finally realized a backup point guard wasn't such a bad idea.

I don't mind this at this point. The goal is Jones will handle the bulk of the duties with Morris as back up. But then again, Jordan Goodwin was supposed to be the PG in the Beal trade and that fell flat. Meanwhile they got rid of Payne because they seemed so sure of Goodwin. Seems like they are making sure they have options after that debacle.

I am excited to see TyTy and Gillespie develop in the G League. Maybe they get some minutes if there's injury. I want to see IF we can develop anybody at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that there have been several front office changes... and our off season seems to have been (at least at this point) relatively competent. Which leads me to wonder to what degree James Jones has actually been involved in making any of these decisions?

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
He was with Bucks on a 2-way last season, so probably the coaching stuff are familiar with him. But I thought a 1st-round pick should be on a 4 year rookie contract, why was he on a 2-way already the 2nd season in the NBA? Fear he might be like Keon Johnson we got for Camara last year.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There was a coaching change. I can hear it now.

"So Bud, we want you to coach the Suns."

"You need to get me a pg, or I am not coming."

"Ok. No problem. How about three?"

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ty Ty Washington Jr. has connections with the Valley.

He is a Phoenix native, shares the same agent as Tyus Jones and played for Suns assistant Chaisson Allen with the Wisconsin Herd in the G-League.

Cesar Chavez is just like a mile from me. Last time I was there I saw Obama again close up.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he looks like he has some potential, but we are way over loaded at guard with this roster.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
he looks like he has some potential, but we are way over loaded at guard with this roster.
But two of them will spend time in the G league. The guys we do have at PG are on one year deals. So likely not staying with us a season from now. I like the potential planning of what we are doing at PG. Plus look at all the guys last season we started the season with that got traded. You never know.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have to develop some sort of farm system for bringing up new talent. So the G-league and two-ways should help. I am amazed that the NBA does not develop talent this way more often.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We have to develop some sort of farm system for bringing up new talent. So the G-league and two-ways should help. I am amazed that the NBA does not develop talent this way more often.
Suns didn't. Other teams make use of G-League to bring up talent. We are late to this game. When we had a team in Prescott, we seemingly just treated it as a way to make more money with no thought of developing guys. Under Sarver everything was disjointed. I feel there's more synergy now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a bit much for another PG. Feels like an over correction after being baron of PG play last season. I would have rather seen a bigger body but it is just a two-way.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully i'm not wrong, which i usually am, but i just don't see 'IT" with Ty Ty. It just seems like trying to make a 29th pick work, almost like last seasons freeagents who we were betting on to keep improving. And only watching highlights I just didn't see enough, then the stats just don't convey that he's good at any one thing.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully i'm not wrong, which i usually am, but i just don't see 'IT" with Ty Ty. It just seems like trying to make a 29th pick work, almost like last seasons freeagents who we were betting on to keep improving. And only watching highlights I just didn't see enough, then the stats just don't convey that he's good at any one thing.

This is what the G-League is for, developing young players. Scouts had to like him some to be drafted at #29. I would have preferred the Suns developing a young big man on a two-way contract, but I'm not going to question it when the Suns other two roster point guards are on one year minimum contracts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have maybe four other pg's more likely be useful. So this signing is just camp stuff to me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giugurta